Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C1 to B3/B2 upgrade in an apartment

• 25-09-2023 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

There are for sale several apartments that have different ratings, ranging from C2 to B2, but that all have similar layouts in the same apartment complex. They are all on the ground floor, with the same windows and similar doors and floors. Would it be safe to say that the difference is probably due to a newer boiler? The rentals likely have the same boiler that was installed when built around 2005.

I am just wondering what are the easiest options to upgrade an apartment that has double glazed windows and a standard boiler:

• new boiler
    • led bulbs
    • new door?
    • lagging jacket?
    • Filling any gaps in the skirting boards and windows?

Since this is an apartment, I can't imagine that there is much that can be done in terms of adding insulation.

Would installing a different type of boiler, like a combi boiler, make sense either financially or in terms of BER? Or just stick with the standard boiler? My issue with a standard boiler is that the water tanks take up a ton of valuable space and in the summer it is very inefficient for 1-2 people. Are there grants for this?

Would it make sense to install eletric showers to use only during the summer?

Post edited by astoriaie on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,809 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

OP is there an individual gas boiler in the apartment? Or are you referring to the immersion for heating water?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 astoriaie

The apartment has a conventional boiler. I have been told replacing an old one with a condensing boiler would be more energy efficient. I am just wondering what other little things I could do to improve the BER rating and of course my own comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭gipi

Depending on the water system set up, you may not be able to get rid of your water tank completely as it may be used to store cold water for the apartment as well as hot (it may be segregated).

An apartment owned by a friend has this set up. First floor apartment, water is pumped from ground floor to a cold water tank and from there to the taps, bathroom, etc. The tank is segregated, and part of it is heated for the hot water supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

Very board question, yes replacing your boiler with new condensing boiler would improve BER rating, but how much depends on efficency of current boiler compared to new one.

If no insulation on water cylinder a lagging jacket will improve BER but I would suggest a new cylinder if cylinder old and no insulation.

Filling gaps in skirting boards and widows won't improve BER but obviously will improve heat retinion in apartment.

There are no grant's for new boilers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement