Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power options for garden lights

Options
  • 25-09-2023 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm getting some ROBUS mains-powered LED spotlights for my back garden... but I'm unsure what's needed to get them connected.

I already have an external dual socket at the patio door, and I also have an existing light over the patio door (which is controlled by a switch inside).

I presume the outside socket connection can be adjusted to power the garden lights?

Or could you run a cable from the patio light down the wall and somehow connect the garden lights to that?

(An electrician will be doing it either way)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Depends where you want the switch and where the lights will be going (i.e. where is the cable to power them going to run through). Usually you'd use the existing lighting cabling and add another switch (depending where neutral and earth are, most switches are live only) but the socket could be used with a fused spur. Electrician will go through it all with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

You should always have garden sockets & lights are a separate circuit than the house.

They will 100% cause problems at some stage.

But most people take the cheap option

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mooretaxi

Check out proper diy on YouTube, he has done a feature on this exact subject including low voltage systems in the last week or so, his newest vid is about cheap Chinese tat

https://youtu.be/fcbEfmgPzUU?si=kmgfkJv7VAAWbjBs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

New garden lighting might require a lighting RCBO , one of the recs would know

Control of lighting is easy enough these days there's quinetic switches and shelleys etc.

Advertisement