Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cracking while turning at idle

• 25-09-2023 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Car is making what I'd call a cracking/popping sound when turning at low speed or just dry steering, especially if I'm reversing into a parking space.

It goes *crack* *crack* *crack* as I turn the wheel from centre to full lock and back.

I'm making an educated guess at outer CV joint, just looking for confirmation by those of you who are blessed with more knowledge than I, before I go spending.

T.I.A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭Dirty Nails

If you're stationary or very slow it's unlikely to be a CV joint. More likely to be shock top bearing sticking. Get some beautiful assistant to turn the steering while you watch/feel front springs. If the swivel is sticking - the spring will shudder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Strut top mounts and bearings were replaced start of this year

It's quite a loud noise

Steering rack? Or even the U joints in the shaft itself?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What car is it?

I dont know what your driving these days:)

Doesnt sound like a CV joint - easiest way to check is find an empty big space lock the wheels and do a full circle. CV joint sounds like a loud clicking sound that gets louder on acceleration. Obviously do it clockwise and anti-clockwise.

Could be the steering shaft - check and see if the bolt going to the rack is loose about half way down the shaft theres a joint.

You said top shock mounts were done - Id be checking for a broken spring - that would be my first guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Alexander Shulgin

Fully lock steering either way , turn off engine, restart and start to move off slowly , if you hear popping or clunk then it's CV joints !

Haha it's a 2010 Mondeo 2.0Tdci, have it for about 2 and a half years now, plan to drive it as long as possible, the idea of changing cars doesn't appeal to me anymore.

I actually checked the shaft a few months back, thought it was making noise, although quiet, I cleaned it as much as I could inside the car and sprayed Lithium grease on the U-J's. Could be that manifesting.

Broken spring might be going down the right path, I changed the top mounts myself, wasn't fun I had to take everything apart to avoid going at the strut pinch bolt which is known to break. Springs looked decent then but could be a tiny break at the very bottom or top, car ride height hasn't changed.

To rule out the CV joint, it has no trouble putting down power so maybe it's not an axle issue, and the sound doesn't happen at speed.

Will try that, never heard of turning off and restarting the engine while doing it though.

Love the username ;)

It was a tip from a mechanic, fully lock first before turning off and restarting, do it for both locks !

Should have added , drive in a circle , keep lock on wheel as you drive !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,600 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I sometimes get the same but I just assumed it was the tyres going over small stones/unever surface!

Just to update this for anyone else experiencing a similar issue it was infact the 1 year old strut top mount bearings. Replaced entire assembly and sound was gone completely, maybe I installed them wrong the 1st time around, strut nut too tight possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭mk7r

KYB, I've the same on again this time around so hoping it was me and not the part because I'm not taking those fkin struts apart again 😅

Advertisement