Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exiting Dublin Airport Passport Control with driving license

Options
  • 25-09-2023 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’m an Irish citizen with a valid Irish driving license.

Im travelling to the UK at the weekend and can’t find my passport.

I’m flying with Aer Lingus which allow driving licences to be used as ID to board for flights to the UK.

I’m just wondering when I return if the driving license is ok to pass through passport control in Dublin. If I have my license and the boarding pass on my phone of the UK flight, will I be OK to be let back in?

Any advice would be brilliant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭chrisd2019

you will have no issues, with air mick (o leary) it would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I went through with no passport! Had forgotten it and had to go home and get it. Was sent back through passport control and the guy just said oh dear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Alexander Shulgin

Regularly travelled between Dublin & Glasgow, a drivers licence in the rare time I was asked for ID was sufficient !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mick o Leary demands a passport to travel on his flights. Not sure why Aer Lingus are less strict

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Alexander Shulgin

I've used both airlines , albeit not for sometime but again, a drivers licence was satisfactory !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Technically you only need some form of ID to move about the CTA. Could be a work badge or student card. The airlines themselves might impose higher requirements for you to get on their planes but that is their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Ryanair are over strict. No passport is required to travel between Ireland and the UK

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ryanair no doubt have stats on how much profit they make from stuff like this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You will need a passport with Ryanair, a few years ago i made the mistake of booking the outgoing leg with EI and the incoming leg with Ryanair.

upon boarding my EI flight i realised i'd be in bother. however a friend of mine is pretty senior in ryanair, he was able to sort a letter of exception signed by MoL. Still had some issues but did get home.

I've flown to the UK with EI, with my wifes passport, my out of date passport and with no photo ID

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

You need a form of ID to travel regardless of where you are traveling from. Dublin -> Cork, you need an ID.

Airlines determine what ID they will accept. For Ryanair, they decided it's easier, to only accept Passports.

Considering, that for the large majority of their flights, you will officially need a Passport anyway, they decided to just make passports the only form of ID that they will accept.

This isn't something new. Anyone getting caught out with this is a little simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭McSween

I went with aer lingus to heathrow in september.licence on boarding aircraft outbound and return. The guy in shannon asked for passport (i had in bag anyway) i said ‘ive just come from heathrow’ and he said something about customs. He was probably just on a power trip, i decided against arguing as he no doubt wouldve asked me to step aside just to waste my time.

Advertisement