Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs off lead in housing estate

Options
  • 27-09-2023 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Walking through estate and a dog off the lead came running and growling at me, owner had no control and was trying to stop dog but to no avail. Eventually it backed off.

Anything that can be done about owners allowing dogs off in estate? There is a management company.

Will council, police do anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Council Dog Warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Dogs should be under control at all times. Sounds like the owner is not adhering to to terms of the licence

• Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The reason this country is so anti dog is because of these shítty owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Inforapenny

Thanks, looks like owner was returning home from a walk with dog but it was off lead.

What does a dog licence state do you mind me asking? That dog should be on lead at all times or under control at all times in a public place?

Had dogs growing up, but no matter what, no owner has full control of a dog when off lead.

Those stretchy leads are another bugbear of mine, owners with dog 15m ahead on a stretchy lead but dont have proper control.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭FazyLucker

I love dogs but since I had children I have come to absolutely HATE them.

Our local park is ruined every day with dogs running everywhere every day despite the sign at EVERY ENTRANCE saying "DOGS ON LEAD AFTER 11AM". Even in the fng playground, a woman standing there with her dog despite the clearest sign ever on the gate : "NO DOGS IN THE PLAYGROUND".

And then there's the classic old "I'll walk ahead of my dog, let him sh**e wherever and give a whistle, if I didn't see him do it....."

What part of all of these don't dog owners understand? If you can't abide by the rules, and clearly many can't, maybe dog ownership is not for you?

The final straw for me was this week when the postman left the gate open and clearly somebody let their dog in to do a big s***e in our front garden. If I catch the scumbag who let his dog do it I am not responsible for what I do next.....

These are basic rules yet dog owners (and its not just a "small minority" before that claim is made) seem to think they don't need to abide by them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭marathon2022

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭acequion

This by 1000%

Could have written every word above. Plus the barking. People who go out all day and leave their dogs alone in the back garden, hence sustained barking. Not the animal's fault. Dogs are high maintenance pets and not suited to being left alone by themselves for hours on end. Very little recourse for hapless neigbours who have to listen to this noise pollution, only a formal noise complaint to the district court. Which is a step too far for many people for all sorts of reasons.

Recently a friend of mine suffered an injury as she was literally run over by a massive dog while out walking. The creature [off its leash] was covorting around a busy beach on a fine day which was full of small children.

Far too many irresponsible people are getting dogs. Dog ownership laws, covering everything from leashes, to soiling to barking, need to be a lot stricter than they are at present.

I recently asked a man with a "Dog warden" bib in my local park what was the punishment / fine / etc for dogs off the lead was. He said he wasn't sure if one was applicable. So this is the calibre of dog warden employed by Dublin City Council.

People only start to understand rules when those rules when it hits them in the pocket.

<mod snip>

"Oh but my dog is lovely, he'd never touch anybody". Yawn.

Post edited by DBB on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Dog should be under "effectual control" at all times. That could mean on a lead or under voice control which many dogs are. Unless there is a notice that states "dogs must be on a leash at all times" the dog can be off lead under the voice control, unless of course it's on the dangerous dog list then it should always be on lead an wearing a muzzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

its the owners that allow this not the dog's fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Inforapenny

Under voice control is a lot less effective on average compared to a dog lead.

Too often the dog goes off on one with the owner shouting and it takes 10/15 secs for the owner to get the dog back under control, but at that stage the dog has scared someone or worse attacked someone.

IMO, Dogs should be on a lead at all times in a public place, apart from designated dog parks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

FazyLucker,

Whilst I sympathise with you, I really do, please take note that this forum does not permit posting about acts of aggression towards animals or their owners.

Again, I understand your anger, but please don't use this forum as a means to voice such actions.

Do not reply to this post on thread.

Thanks,

DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Seems like you should hate crappy owners, not dogs 🤔

That is exactly my point. I love dogs, and want to get one some day when my children are older. Mainly because owning a dog is a lot of effort (albeit rewarding one) and one which needs consideration beyond "Oh its lovely to have a dog".

But with owning a dog comes responsibility to others who use these public places, be it cleaning up after them or respecting the rules of parks. Too many dog owners seem to think the rules don't apply to their lovely pooch, and they can do as they wish where they wish when they wish.

The OP is just typical of the attitude of so many dog owners. Rules don't apply, I'll do as I wish, let him run off the lead and scare small children, I don't need to clean up after it. I mean, what sort of moron buys a dog not expecting to have to clean up after it? What did they think the dog was going to do?

Advertisement