Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

unable to register a new job on revenue.ie in MyAccount?

• 27-09-2023 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭

I seem to be unable to register a new job on revenue.ie in MyAccount.

The process seems to be, - accoring to online research:

1. Select 'Update Job or Pension Details' in the 'PAYE Services' section.
    2. Click on 'Start'.
    3. Click on 'Add job' or 'Add pension'
    4. or.
    5. click on 'Cease job or pension'
    6. and.
    7. follow the on-screen instructions.

The problem I face is that in my revenue.ie account the selection 'Update Job or Pension Details' in the 'PAYE Services' section isn't possible.

What am I doing wrong? Looking in the wrong tabs or sections? Or something else? Another authorization required?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Unless it's your first job you don't register the employment

Your employer will register the employment when processing payroll for the first time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I would be my first job in this tax year and my first job in Ireland in a long time. Hence I have the account with revenue.ie.

I thought I would have to register with revenue to avoid "emergency tax"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭shmeee

MyAccount has updated in recent weeks to prevent users from registering their job unless it is their first job in Ireland only. If you had a previous job in Ireland (doesn't have to be in same tax year) then the system won't let you add the job and you'll get a warning telling you the same.

Your employer will register your employment and any available tax credits should pull to your new employment. Once your employer has registered your employment, login to MyAccount and check out how your tax credits are assigned, and assign as required - this can be completed under "Manage Tax 2023".

The onus/obligation since PMOD (real time reporting) in 2019 was always on the employer to register an employee's employment in Ireland unless it was a first employment. Employers suddenly think this has only kicked in now.

Thanks for that one. Would it mean, if my new employer registers this job, there is also no fear of "emergency tax"?

My new employer has given me a couple of tasks to be completed in workday, but the one with the revenue.ie I simply can't do then.

It depends what jobs you've active on your account. If your single and no other active employment, when your new employer registers your employment he should get all your tax credits & bands across for payroll.

You won't be on emergency tax anyway, you'll be on a week 1 tax basis with no cut off or bands which is same tax as emergency tax but just means no tax credits or bands are assigned to your new employment.

Emergency tax only happens when an employer gets no tax details back for an employee when they attempt to register an employment.

Perfect case is your previous job is ceased and your tax credits are sitting idle waiting to go to your new employment.

If you're joint assessed etc, you may need to move the tax credits yourself. You'll know straight away what to do once employer registers you.

I would also advise your employer of this issue as many employers do not know their obligations.

• Advertisement

In my case I haven't had any form of income during the full tax year, not in Ireland or any other country.

There are no tax credits sitting idle.

I haven't worked or lived in Ireland for more than 6 years.

I still have a PPS number for Ireland and apparently this number can still be used.

Ah, that's probably the pre set figure, when I log in. Yes there is one.

That's easy then so. Your employer will create your employment and all your credits will go across to the employment.

Advertisement