Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topsters lists

Options
  • 28-09-2023 11:13am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭

These are all over twitter.

Throwing my slapped together in work list up. You can agree with it but I'd much rather you tell me that I'm full of shite and tell me why. Throw yours up as well if you are brave enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Disclaimer: I am not saying some of these are among the greatest games of all time, but for me, the time and enjoyment I got out of most of these games and the impact they had on me, this is probably as close as I can get, though there may be an element of recency bias and just forgetting obvious ones that should be included (plus, I was never a Nintendo kid, so never played most Marios, Zeldas etc or basically most of Retro's list).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a few there I wouldn't put on my list but also wouldn't call them bad games.

I'd only really have an issue with Spiderman 2 (the movement is great but the missions are a little poo) and crash 2, there's way better platformers even on the ps1. It also felt like it set out to hurt me when I played it recently.

I see Gunstar Heroes there so all is good.

Spider-Man 2 was definitely repetitive in terms of open world stuff (damn balloons....), but at that time just swinging about and the combat was just so great that it didn't really matter what you were doing, it was just so much fun to play.

Gunstar Heroes definitely one of my favourites of all time. Never actually owned it myself (well, bar downloading it on PS3 I think), but played with my cousin and borrowed it off them every available opportunity I had back in the day.

Crash 2 I fully accept, that's definitely a personal thing. Not just from childhood (first PS1 game I owned along with GTA1), but I still get endless joy playing the N-Sane trilogy version whenever I can't think of anything else to play or just want to belt through something for a few evenings without much thought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gunstar Heroes just seriously blew me away. Remember seeing it on gamesmaster and thinking it was the best looking game ever and thought it was a SNES game. Got a megadrive later and used to read Sega zone. On their last issue one of the reviewers gushed about how good Gunstar was so I tracked it down (was actually quite hard to find) and when I played it I realised that it was that game from gamesmaster. To top it off it was absolutely incredible. It's my all time favourite megadrive game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Do I win?

• Advertisement

I nearly had Journey on mine too. Went into it pretty much completely blind and ended up playing whole thing in one sitting. Such a unique and amazing experience. It and Hades were pretty much fighting for one of the last spots until I remembered Tenchu 2 and just had to go with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This’ll change from moment to moment, and could equally double the size.

Rock Band stands in for that Guitar Hero - Rock Band 3 run for Harmonix which was a massive, delightful time sink for me.

Wind Waker isn’t the best Zelda game, objectively, but the one that reignited my enthusiasm for gaming at a formative moment. Tears of the Kingdom is still new (and BG3 could have a strong shot when I’m done, as could Hi Fi Rush with the benefit of time) but I find its improvements over BotW so substantial it immediately makes the cut.

Mushihimesamana Futari isn’t on the database (the original Mushi is) but it’d be my shmup torchbearer if it was.

You've the wrong Zelda.

Man obra dinn, I forgot that one and outer wilds.

I'd find a way to fit we love katamari in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I don't have the wrong Zelda, A link between Worlds is better than A link to the Past. I guess you could say ALTTP was a better game for its time

I'm only messing. So many of the Zelda games could be on these lists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

• Registered Users Posts: 11,959 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

||||

• Registered Users Posts: 34,951 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

👌!

Ah lads now, you might like Days Gone but can you not find 25 games better than that yoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,959 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Well, for me it was a choice between Ace Combat 7 and Days Gone. I made the right choice with Days Gone.

Viva Days Gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Games got picked based on what gave me the most enjoyment. I had a great time playing Days Gone and few games replicated the fun I had taking out that first horde. Just like Fortnite, which most people will turn their noses up at, has given me hours and hours of craic with my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This is what I can think of right now.

I might change it a bit later.

The last slot is for Metroid Prime when I decide whether to play the Wii or Switch version. Or maybe Super Metroid. Or Maybe a Link to the Past. All games I should have played by now.

Fair enough. Just thought there's would be a lot better picks for open world games of its ilk like Horizon, Sleeping Dogs, Yakuza etc.

F*ck I should have swapped out Spider-Man 2 for either Hades, Journey, Outer Wilds, The Forgotten City or Baldurs Gate 3. I didn't go for BG3 since I haven't finished it and recency bias, but I know it's going to end up on my list.

• Advertisement

Yeah I can't say Days Gone would have been on my list (even if the issues I had with the game were addressed, I'd still put the Horizon games or Ghost of Tsushima ahead of it), but there was definitely a lot of fun to be had in the game, well designed sections, and a solid base that I'd have liked to have seen what they could have done with a sequel.

And I agree that my list is similar in that there are games that aren't considered "great" on it, but that the amount of enjoyment I got from them just transcend that. Even something like Assassin's Creed 2, there's a big gaping hole in the story where they cut out two chapters from the game near the end to repack as DLC which always bugged me, and later games (even the direct sequel) added so much to the game, but AC2 just hit me in the exact right way at the exact right time that it'll always be special to me.

Master of the Universe

That was surprisingly difficult.

Went with games that genuinely made a huge impression on me or ones that I keep going back to again and again.

Quite interesting to see that everything is more or less 6th gen or before. There were a few 7th gen that almost made it like Fallout 3, Half Life 2 and Deadly Premonition (!) but they just couldn't top anything in the below list for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If your list doesn't include Super Mario Bros. 3, Ocarina of Time, Ico and Bloodborne then it's just wrong. 😋

Master of the Universe

I had a bit of a Sophie's Choice situation between ICO and SOTC 😅 - ICO is beautiful but I just found SOTC to be a tad more compelling.

Kind of regret not including it now...not sure what I'd sub out though!

Bloodborne can't even hold 30 fps. I'll take Sekiro over it but dark souls meant so much to me and probably one of the best game experiences I've had.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Both fantastic games tbf. Great to see Raiden 2 getting a nod, I'd go with the first one even though 2 is the better game. 😎 I think I was expecting more MegaDrive in your list - I'm guessing some games were dropped in the final list? 😁

Sekiro and Dark Souls both fabulous games and worthy of making any list.

I must give it a proper go later, I have about 10 games so far that will stay on the list I reckon.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I always remember you being a Raiden 1 man! Fantastic game too.

Indeed, loads of games dropped. I tried not to exceed 4 games per console. Could have filled the whole thing with a list of Megadrive games 😁

Did realise to my horror that I didn't include a single Neo Geo game. Metal Slug and Puzzle Bobble should be in there somewhere too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Shocked and appalled at the lack of Ico on display. Shocked AND appalled.

It was a tough choice between Ico and shadow of the Colossus.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Says the man who didn't include Shadow of the Colossus! I'm fairly sure that's literally a crime somewhere 😁

Advertisement