Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N11 Cabinteely Southbound Limits dropped to 60kph

• 28-09-2023 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know the reason for this?, traffic is bumper to bumper since they did it. I know there is a plan to reduce everywhere to a crawl because..reasons, but i thought that was still going through the Dail?

I've lived here all my life and have never seen an accident so hoping its temporary, please tell me it is?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭10-10-20

At a guess it's probably due to the atrocious pedestrian and cyclist facilities between the Wyattville Rd bridge and Cabinteely. I thought I had seen the worst layout with the mess of the Leopardstown Rd, but no, Wyattville is more of a jock than even that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/traffic-management/road-closures

Notice is hereby given that Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, in exercise of the powers under Section 10 of the Road Traffic Act, 2004, in the interests of road safety and to facilitate the resurfacing of the N11 motorway has made an Order entitled Road Works Speed Limit Order, No.2 of 2023 on the N11 motorway in the County of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown to apply a road works speed limit as follows:

N11 Southbound and Northbound will run from 18/09/2023 until 30/11/2023

Description of speed limit order 60km/hr:

• Part of the N11 between its junction with Kill Lane (Foxrock Church) to on ramp R118 Cherrywood Interchange junction southbound and northbound.

The Garda Commissioner has been notified by email of the Council’s intention to decrease the speed limit to 60 km/hr and 60 km on the N11 Southbound and Northbound, in accordance with Section 10 of the Roads Traffic Act, 2004.

Accordingly, I recommend the introduction of the 60 km/hr speed limit (N11 Southbound and Northbound) from Monday 18th September, 2023 until Thursday 30th November, 2023 or for the duration of the works, whichever is the earlier.

Signed by: Seán McGrath,

Senior Engineer, Infrastructure & Climate Change Department,

Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council,

Dated this 11th of August, 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Alias G

I would have thought the road works were obvious enough to have answered the OPs query.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, at least it seems to be temporary looking at that, very helpful :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i find it hard to believe that the speed limit change could result in bumper to bumper traffic on its own - it's not more to do with the fact that traffic volumes always go up in september, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Alias G

The OPs contention that he has never seen an accident on this road is also a bit disingenuous. Having lived nearby for the 40 odd years since the dual carriageway way was built, I can recall numerous fatalities along that stretch. That whole section of road has had significant development alongside it in recent decades with a lot more to come on stream. And there are a lot more pedestrians crossing and cyclists using the road these days along with additional ped crossings. There is little point in accelerating to 80km/h when there is probably less than 1km to the next junction or crossing. I think the 60km/h should extend as far as loughlinsown roundabout at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's temporary due to the roadworks taking place overnight.

Having driven the N11 recently during the day with the limit in place, very few are following it so the limit itself won't be having much of an impact traffic wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Drive to the conditions of the road everyone knows that the real limit of the n11 between 7-9am and 4-7.30pm is 20-30kph unless you plan on rear ending the vehicle in front. Then again there should be no issue doing 80 at 11pm with nobody on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've been commuting the N11 corridor close to 20 years pre pandemic (mainly by car), and it was always several light turns at Johnstown Road junction, and often at the few lights before and the pedestrian lights after (and that's all after Donnybrook to Whites Cross). 60kph limit the least of the capacity problems I would suggest.

Advertisement