Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Nest and All The Issues

Options
  • 28-09-2023 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I'm not fully up to speed on what's happening but I believe that Google is forcing people to use the Home app and that the Nest app will be discontinued in the near future. From what I can gather it's possible that a web based interface such as home.nest.com won't be an option in the near future. I use this a lot as it provides better access to your camera footage and you can zoom the picture etc.

As far as I'm aware the Home app only provides an event based history rather than the 24/7 recording which is the whole reason I went for Nest camera's in the first place.

Can anyone here clarify what's going on exactly? Is functionality being removed? Is it time to move to another camera system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I expect that the Nest app will remain for some time yet (years, probably). Google development team are incredibly slow at integrating the features of the Nest app into the Home app. As of now, the Nest Protect (smoke alarms) are not even supported at all in the Home app.

There is limited (live view only) web based access to the newer Google cameras on home.google.com. No support yet for alerts or history.

The Home app does (on newer cameras) provide full recording history and not just the alerts.

I am moving to another camera system, but not for any of the concerns you had. The newer Google cameras currently have very poor night time quality after a recent update was pushed to them. The older Nest and doorbell cameras were not impacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

Also very frustrated with google cameras, the doorbell is very slow to alert on my google nest home or my phone, usually like 5s and I’ve decent WiFi coverage around the house.

what other systems are you looking at that are better?

Advertisement