Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argylle - AppleTV+

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Big budget it may be but holy hell those FX stink. The CGI moments were really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Could be a Dua Lipa music video 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Henry Cavill looks very funny there. Wonder if there'll be an element of him and Cena doing a Straight Man and Wise Guy act. Could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Great cast.

Looks absolutely awful. That same derivate contrived "not a spy, becomes a spy" stroy, I think Sandra Bullock was the most recent one.

Expecting some really weird looking one-fakes with slow-mo and super-sped up action scenes with diminishing returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Was CGI always this bad?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No, you'd wonder is this a lack of time, money or direction. I doubt it's just that it's the trailer and needs more work. Sometimes it feels like the end product had got worse than it was 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Could be good could be bad.

Jason Fuchs is the writer I see, he is a bit of a hack .

Is Samuel L Jackson playing the same role as Kingsman, looks like his henchwoman too, the one with the artificial legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks to be getting a cinema release next month

• Registered Users Posts: 32,952 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Reviews poor as kind of expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Like Snyder, Vaughn seems like a guy with plenty of style but who absolutely needs a good writer. Has a few strong films with Jane Goldman writing (Stardust, Kick-Ass, and Kingsmen particularly), but without her he seems to struggle to find the substance of things.

Also, 2 hours 20?!? There is no way a film like this needs to be that long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw it tonight. Bryce and Sam were excellent. The movie was decent enough. It was a 4/10 for the first hour, went up to a 6 after that, and the last 3 big set pieces pushed it to a 7½/10 for me.

I'd love if it was consistently great, but only the last 30-40 minutes were great.

Like a good meal at a restaurant, a good dessert can lift a mediocre meal, and that's what happened here for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,952 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Listened to Mark Kermodes review, surprisingly positive.

• Walked out after an hour. Not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Before or after Rachel was introduced?

About the only positive one I've seen: reviews have been beyond scathing across the board of my usual talking heads.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Just as, went in totally blind and slightly hungover for the 11:30am showing. Maybe 15-20 people in the cinema and think I heard one small chuckle during the first hour.

18 million domestic opening on a supposed 200 million budget; I hope Apple cut a big paycheque here cos this yet another box office flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if I understand it right, the movie cost 80-90m to make, it was sold to Apple for 200m , Apple were originally not going to release it in the cinema, but they spent 80m on marketing it to do so. That is some Disney level nose bleed.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What’s happening with all these Apple releases is they’re actually basically ‘hiring’ a distributor to put these films out in cinemas. It was Paramount for Killers…, Sony for Napoleon, and now Universal for this.

According to reports I’ve read, the terms of the deals are quite different. So some might be an upfront payment to get it into cinemas, while another may be based on a box office percentage. So if this is a big flop, Universal could actually lose out too even though this is sort of a ‘paid gig’ for them.

It’s all pretty convoluted tbh, and while Apple can take the hit on a few expensive prestige films to get their name out there, as we’ve seen with Netflix and Amazon that approach doesn’t last forever. Even as glorified marketing for Apple TV+, they’re not just going to keep giving wide releases to films that make back a fraction of their costs. But hey, at least Scorsese got to make another big, expensive auteur project in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Apple TV content is above average, Silo, Severance, Ted Lasso etc, but starting to associate an Apple branded movie as something to skip, so kind of anti marketing which Im sure was not their intention

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There is plenty of crap on AppleTV+ as well both series and movies.

Like all streaming services 90% muck is offset by the 10% excellent stuff they have on them.

Well except for Amazon which is 99% dire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This was abysmal. Expectations were low but I'm honestly baffled that Matthew Vaughan and the cast could produce something this terrible. I quite like the Kingsman films but this was just unenjoyable dreck and the only way they could have made it even worse was what they did in the post credits scene.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I enjoyed this. A fun piece of over the top action.

Three box office flops in a row though. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Really really bad...

turned it off after 30 mins.......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

With the faux-movie intro/setup, after 30 mins it must’ve only gotten about 5 mins into the actual story?

Anyway, I found it okaaayyy… preferred it to the latter two Kingsmen movies, which really didn’t work for me. It doesn’t make any sense of course, but was fast moving and silly enough to just about roll with. At least 30 minutes too long though.

Vaughn needs to start working with Jane Goldman (or someone like her) again. What bit of charm and humanity used to occasionally be in his movies and characters has just gone since he’s switched to other writers. He’s miles from where he used to be with Stardust and Kick-Ass.

I have been wondering why Vaughn's movies all have such colossally crap FX; I know directors tend to oversee the post-production to greater or lesser amounts but if it's a Mathew Vaughn film, it tends to have shít FX work.

Advertisement