Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to get a cheapish runaround bike (hybrid)

Options
  • 28-09-2023 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Apologies if posting in wrong section but looking to pick up a cheapish bike (something like a hybrid) for cycling to gym, to the shops, to training etc.

Not sure would I get something in decent enough condition for less than €300.

Where would be the best place to look for something? Someone mentioned facebook marketplace (but I dont have facebook).

I would not have a great knowledge of bikes so would also not be able to spot if a second hand bike was in a lot worse shape in person than pics.

It might mean going to reputable bike shop that sells second hand bikes.

All advice is much appreciated, based in Dublin/Kildare area.

Thanks

Post edited by Inforapenny on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭secman

Adverts.ie, plenty on there

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

What height are you? You might be able to get some suggestions here

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Inforapenny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the main issue with buying a bike privately is that it could need work that you might not see straight away - though a friend did get a perfectly serviceable albeit slightly battered bike for about €90 in the rediscovery centre in ballymun. they have limited stock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭cletus

I have a bike that might suit. It's a Claud Butler mountain bike, though. Not a hybrid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Inforapenny

Thank you, exactly my thoughts about buying a bike privately.

Is one paying a large premium going for a second hand bike from a bike shop? Any reputable bike shops that sell second hand bikes at a fair price?

Thank you. Is it the type with rather large wheels?

Would probably prefer a hybrid, have had one before and found them to be the ideal bike tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've bought 2 hack bikes in the last couple of years for less than €100. If you're going to be leaving it around the place you want it to be a) disposable and b) not attractive to bike thieves. I certainly wouldn't pay €300 for a runaround.

Loads of options on Facebook marketplace, just use your common sense - if it looks like it's being sold for way less than it's worth it's probably stolen. But you often find people selling perfectly functional bikes for next to nothing because they're a bit old and maybe have a puncture.

Check the wheels are true, the brakes and gears move, there's no play in the pedals or handlebars and the saddle isn't seized. Most other stuff is pretty cheap to fix, particularly if you've paid very little for the bike. Then get a decent lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I bought an outstanding MTB two weeks ago for 400.

A lot of people are buying them on the Bike to Work scheme, and realise 6 months later that they really arnt using the bike - and since they bought it for half price, are happy to let them go cheaply.

On adverts

(i) Ask how old it is - any bike thats 3+ years old and has had lots of use will be questionable. If its new-ish, can they show when it was bought.

(ii) Photos of the chains and the gears are probably the most telling thing - are they clean, shiny, new looking. Are they black, rusty, dirty. How do the tyres look? Are th

For 300, I would defo be looking at adverts rather than buying second hand from a bike shop. Thats me personally.

As noted above, a lot of cheap bikes are stolen bikes - the giveaways here are

(i) little or no detail in the add, 'Good bike for sale'....doesnt mention the brand, the model, the size whatever.

(ii) lads who are always selling, never buying. Have 3 or 4 bikes for sale at the same time.

Incidentally, you will most likely be a size L.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Incidentally, why dont you buy one in Bike to Work scheme

Advertisement