Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I just forget it?

Options
  • 28-09-2023 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭

We purchased a gadget to switch on and off outside lights from a hardware retailer. It sat on a light switch untouched and worked fine for two winters but when it was turned on the other day a piece broke off. I contacted the seller who bluntly said one year warranty.

Is their word final?

Please note this is not about the value of it. We are disappointed it broke after such little use and even more so with the shop's reply towards it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Xterminator

hi op

its not the final word. but more details would help. 1st up how much did you spend on this device? can you be specific about when it was purchased. 2 winters is vague. The retailer is Ireland based yes?

the short version of the law here is the goods must be of a merchantable quality and you have up to 6 years to make a claim in the small claims court under the sales of goods and supply action. you are entitled to claim one of the 3R's repair, refund, replacement. You don't get to specify which remedy is offered. if they refuse then you can bring a claim to small claims court.

the finer detail - it costs 25 euro and your time to file a claim in the small claims court. you could be awarded part remedy rather than a full refund because you got between 2 and 3 years of use from this device. so if you spent 50 euros and got 3 years of use, then you might be looking at 25 euro award. But it costs that much to take the claim.

details here. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts-system/small-claims-court/

how to complain formally https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/

next step: you should send them a registered letter with a formal complaint. many retailers will give in at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Better than nothing suggestion create an account OP on trustpilot.

When that's done, write a 1 star review.

I've done similar reviews there for certain couriers and an online merchant who sided with the courier funnily enough.

Both outfits saw my review and replied but nothing came of my reviews.

Trustpilots the best of a bad lot, not as infested with '5 star reviews' either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Ginger83

The item was purchased in March 2021 for around €35/€40.It was used for the winter months of 2021 and 2022.I'm probably not allowed to name the shop but it is a well known hardware chain here. It would be handy for screws if you had anything to fix.

As I've said it's not the cost. I'd understand if it was a pound shop but they claim to sell quality products. Nobody touched it. It sat on a light switch and when set for this winter something snapped. I asked the shop for the manufacturers details and just got fobbed off with we will let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

What's the name of the product?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If its those little mechanical Button press things, they're a ball of crap OP. Waste of money. And I wouldn't waste anymore money pursuing 40 euro.

Get a proper smart switch, replace the switch and set it on an electronic timer.

They're actually cheaper than what you bought tbh, those yokes are a gimmick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Depends on how much you value your time. 40 euro? Wouldn't bother. Do something productive with the time instead of stressing yourself for hours over it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

This, how much do you value your time? 25 quid an hour maybe? If you spend an hour trying to sort this, you're down 25 quid. Not worth it for a 40 quid product, which you've got two years use out of (20 quid a year), so you're losing money chasing it.

Would you mind recommending a good replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"It sat on a light switch untouched and worked fine for two winters"

Is that not a contradiction? Untouched but worked fine for two years?

It's automatic so when you set it up for winter it will turn the light switch on in the evening and off at bedtime every day by itself.

So lets say 5 months a year for 2 years so it turned the lights on 300 times and off 300 times.

Would this be considered good quality and fit for purpose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anything from the likes of Sonoff, there's various other brands even IKEA are doing them..app controlled and can set scheduled timers for the switch. No mechanical nonsense to be dealing with. Available from amazon also.

Advertisement