Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concerns that Ireland's plan for deer will lead to 'inhumane' recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Just read it for the comments folks. You have to wonder at some people's attitudes and knowledge of nature.I wonder is it some new form of therapy up in the world's homes for the bewildered,to let them have access to the internet for 24 hours a day?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Yup, even advocating for the reintroduction of wolves.

Jesus, they even mention the reintroduction of them into Yellowstone as being a success, I'd hazard a guess none of the farmers or ranchers surrounding the park agree with that.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Why can't the Buck, Stag season be extended? I could never reason why it ended in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Every year we have packs of domestic dogs tearing thru shepherds' livelihoods by decimating their sheep flocks. What do these utter clowns think that a pack of apex predators will do to sheep flocks in the entire country of Ireland? A wolf pack needs a HUGE range for terrortiy to roam, Yellowstone national park spreads over 3or4 or American states, so something like 3times Ireland's landmass Like all of nature it will graduate to the easiest food sources, not the ones these muppets think it will want to eat.IE why would they bother hunting down deer, when a nice fat flock of sheep is easier to prey on. Suggest Messers Ryan and Noonan and the other rewilding luddites go to Europe and have a chat with German, French, Swiss, Spanish, Austrian, Romanian and Italian shepherds on how happy they are to see the wolf back in Europe. Ironic that these nutters want to get rid of invasive species like Sika and Fallow deer by introducing another none native species,the wolf, back into Ireland.Green idealists for ya!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭.243

because the problem isnt stags,its doe's and calves,considering about 1 in 5 are only producing a male calf,

lads are all about goin for the big stag trophy but wont been seeing taking care of the conservation and management side to deer stalking because its too much hassle,or its cold and wet or "i couldnt shoot a female that might be in calf",

sorry lads if you cant put in the effort to properly hunt stalk and shoot these animals in its entirety of what it is,its a cop out,

one season alone NOT shooting stags will bring the overall population down,which will improve the next years rut,you'd now have stags actually having to "fight " to keep a handful of females to themselves as they'd be less females available,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Sure look at what happened to the White Tailed Eagles they introduced, some clown shot one of two out of the sky and got a trophy photo with it. Can't imagine wolves being left unscathed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Sika98k

The season for male deer did run until February 28th same as female deer up to some years ago (17-18 ? ) I remember the change. The reasoning was as it was then realised that there was an increasing population of deer and that only females should be shot in January and February in an attempt to control them. They are breeders ! Most female deer shot in the spring are pregnant, so it’s two for one.

Advertisement