Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2024

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Joconair

Thanks for that Emma, I know it's very hard to get any info on it. Fingers crossed it all goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bJWXNIXWNXOW

I know alot of places use the generic formula your age x .7 minus 208 that gives your max hr so you get 80% of that is what's allowed for the test. Good luck this time

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hope234

Has anyone heard back yet regarding the eligibility sift ? Have any of you booked days off for the week of the 22nd or are you waiting to hear back

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LB1982

Haven't heard anything yet. I have postponed my annual leave in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Passerbye

haven’t heard anything either. I will really need to know the date for work that I need to book off or il have to request an another day if they can accommodate it. The interviews I see are in Galway which is a 3 hr drive from me so il need the day off work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 bJWXNIXWNXOW

Well all I I'm that annoying guy who emails them when I get impatient and this was their response yesterday

"An eligibility sift is scheduled with the National Ambulance Service and UCC at the end of this week.

Once this is completed it is our intention to issue Invitation to Interview letters next week."

• Registered Users Posts: 1 junesummer

Will the interviews still take place starting week of 22nd July does anybody think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Saltydog87

Hey Guys,

Yup I pretty much got the same response as above in terms of they were looking at it this week with the intention of sending letters out next week but In terms of the 22nd July date they were explicit enough with me that it “could move”. I think just work to that week and see what happens?

I’m in the same boat trying to sort holidays with a young family and what not so it’s a bit of a pain but what can you do

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chemicals404

Hey Guys

Hopefully we hear tomorrow about the interviews as deadline for submitting all additonal documents is Noon tomorrow 8TH JULY 2024.

Just wanted to see what you guys are trying to learn for the upcoming interviews and if anyone has any advice on how to prepare .

Anyone previously done the interviews that could provide any pointers?

Is the Cork student paramedic going to start this year?

How many people are still on the panel before us ?

Any other questions or answers is aprreicated

Thanks

Hi Chemicals,

Thanks for the info. I have a bit of info based on what I have read in other threads and what not but I have to stress take it with a fact check warning. Firstly however, God I actually thought the updated deadline for the sift was last week and then they were informing candidates this week? Can’t see them getting through all them submissions in less than a week. I don’t think it’s as easy as they tick the box for your qualification . I would imagine they have to try eliminate people at each round. Usually how these things work is something called a bell curve is established and they assign a value to a level of qualification. I could be totally wrong so if anyone knows better please feel free to speak up!

So the course is run in conjunction with UCC. There are 3 locations country wide. Courses start on a as needed basis by NAS but based on what I’ve read they typically start in a September and January . I haven’t seen anything that suggests a course is starting in cork this September. There is also definitely one panel live at the moment that would precede any panel that is formed from this recruitment. They need to clear that before they take from this upcoming recruitment . Personally I think chances lf one of us starting the course in 2024 are very slim. Again, and I stress this is personal mind set I feel like your possibly looking at a two year window from start of recruitment process ( which we are in now) to course placement .

I haven’t bothered getting too far ahead of myself ref interview practice. Just waiting to hear about eligibility swift first. I do know the interview is competency based and also takes in some of the detail we submitted for the question portion on stage 1. There was a section on the handbook they sent us at the start that went into detail on paramedic competencies. That might be a good place to start ?

Best of luck in it all

Hope we all hear something soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 hope234

thanks for clearing up a few things for me. Yes I also thought the cut off for documents was the 24th of June. It may have been extended for people who had to repeat the aptitude. (even though I had to repeat the aptitude and havnt got an email advising of an extended date)

I’d recommend the STAR method for the interviews .

Have they ever done interviews over Zoom or teams. From other chats I’ve read they have only been in person . I’m just wondering if there is even the slightest chance they could

no worries . I very much doubt they will do it over teams . Keep in mind the psychometric testing was supposed to be in person and they moved that online as an accommodation so I would say they will push the face to face for the interviews 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Kitkat73

Hi hope234 & saltydog87. Congratulations both on getting this far into the process & the very best of luck with interviews. I am currently one of the candidates sitting on the panel formed last November & due to the recruitment embargo our panel remains frozen unfortunately. At this point we have no way of telling if they will expire our panel in 5months or extend it and this will largely impact the panel currently being sifted & interviewed for. I can definitely advise you to go over the information you put on the 1st stage of the application, as this is what they will largely focus on. You need to be able to elaborate & answer questions on the scenarios you originally gave them as examples. Also it will be very helpful to research the current work & projects been undertaken by NAS. Learn as much as u can about the service, what initiatives they are undertaking to improve the service for communities etc.…A knowledge of CISM (critical incident stress management) may be no harm to have under your belt going into interview also. Hope this helps & very best of luck to all interview candidates.

Thanks Kitkat really appreciate the heads up. God it’s just madness they have a frozen panel and are now recruiting again. Like I cannot see the sense in it . Hopefully it kicks back in for you guys soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 taramc95

anybody know about EOIs for sept start? I know Balinasloe went out but what about the other colleges? I’m on the Nov 2023 panel waiting to be called. Doubt it will be September but hoping January.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Kitkat73

@taramc95 the balinasloe course starting in Sept was only for a specific placement in Dublin (slightly different to their normal eoi's that go out). I read in the Irish Independent that the HSE are making moves towards fully lifting the embargo soon but how much truth is in that is anyone's guess. Depends on how much funding they receive whether or not it will change. Hopefully it will lift ahead of the expiry date for the panel we're sitting on. If it is lifted soon I'd be hoping for a January start date but not building my hopes on it quite just yet 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 2 taramc95

thanks @Kitkat73.

Does that mean there won’t be anyone called for September classes? Are they not running this year? Very disappointing having such a long wait and no info

Advertisement