Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Pride event on Grand Parade this Saturday?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If someone's "beliefs" discriminates against people because of their sexual orientation, then as far as I'm concerned, those people can go fcuk themselves.

Should people who "believe" some races are superior to others be pandered to in your world, too?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BailenaMbocht

i never said any group discriminated against anyone.

i would agree with your 1st statement.

At this present time in society where any and all are accepted without judgement or prejudices, then racist citizens should also be allowed to express their beliefs even if the vast majority disagree completely. It seems the most easily offended of society and generally those who are described as "woke" are the loudest opponents of ideas they disagree with are generally the group that decides or where the line is drawn on what should be tolerated or encouraged.

just my observation on how i see things today.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

What do you mean by "woke" ? Could you define it for me ?

You, literally, said, "they are protesting against anyone's beliefs that don't align with theirs"

You also said that you accept gay and trans people face challenges their entire lives. You also appear to accept that they have a "cause".

So, this is where the discrimination comes from. You may not have said it - I did - but you've accepted the existence of it.

So having accepted the challenges lgbt person face, you then claim that, "At this present time in society where any and all are accepted without judgement or prejudices". What???

And you then actually went on to support the right to express racist views! Yet you claim to agree with my first statement regarding discrimination!

You argue in riddles and circles. You contradict yourself.

I don't image I will go to the effort of continuing to try to reason with you. Some people can't be reasoned with and will twist the narrative to suit themselves. It's neither clever or honest.

Good day to you, supporter of racists. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,689 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There's a very large difference between the parade/protest positions of "hey, can i just live my own life without being attacked please", and "i don't like how these other people, who do not in any way impact my life, are living their own lives".

Also "At this present time in society where any and all are accepted without judgement or prejudices, then racist citizens should also be allowed to express their beliefs even if the vast majority disagree completely." - is a total contradiction. You're saying that since society is now entirely accepting of all without judgements or prejudices, that racist people with judgements and prejudices should have a platform. If the first bit were true, the second bit wouldn't exist. Obviously the first bit isn't true, because of the people in the second bit.

• Advertisement

Just want to say how strongly I agree with the first point you make in the above post. Considering all the Palestinian flags I see on boards and twitter, it’s clear that Ireland is backsliding massively in its tolerance of homophobic religions like Islam. We need to take a stand as a society against this.

A timeline.

The Stonewall Riots ----> Pride

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots

... I hope to bejesus you know that support for Palestinians is not because of the rights or wrongs of their religeon, but rather out of basic human empathy for their extreme oppression as a people.

Honestly, boards dismays me more and more with each passing year...

Support for Palestinians in Ireland is due to the the incorrect mapping of our own history into a medium distant conflict that goes back 1000s of years. Combine that with a nice sprinkling of historical anti-semitism in Ireland and voila, the ethnic-religious group that had 6 million of its people murdered in Europe in living memory, can be described off-hand as the “oppressor”.

As for describing the Palestinians as the oppressed, I wonder how well such a view would stand up to the intersectional view so popular amongst the modern western left. I reckon Hamas gets more cheers amongst your anointed oppressed people than Yousef Palani, but if Palani got the same media attention, they’d put him on a flag too.

Wait until Islamic state and it’s supporters are blowing up the library rather than protesting outside of it, I’m sure that’ll be the Jewish white man’s fault, too.

The Jewish community can have been horribly oppressed in one situation, while an Israeli national government can be oppressive of a minority population within their borders in another situation. The two are not mutually exclusive. And given the absolute **** they're bombing out of said population - a population that exists firmly as second class citizens - it's hard to call it anything else.

I very much do not agree at all with many Muslim states policies (towards their own people as much as others), but that doesn't mean it's ok for Palestinian citizens in Gaza to be bombed into oblivion, with access to basic food, water, and medical aid denied.

Your position almost seems to be "if they're not all killed now, they may themselves oppress someone else in the future".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

”Sexual preference” suggests a choosing of one’s sexuality. Which is not the case. Language is important

Few points here :

1. If you're going to accuse religions of being homophobic, you need to include Christianity and Judaism, too. I know, I grew up in Ireland.

2. You shouldn’t accuse others of antisemitism, while engaging in Islamophobia.

3. Why let extremists define your view of Islam but judge other religions by their moderate proponents?

1. You’ll have to point out where I suggested Christianity isn’t homophobic. You’ll be waiting a while.
    2. Unless you think calling Islam homophobic is Islamophobia. (In which case your own post is Islamophobia too)
    3. I didn’t mention other religions. The reason Ireland has moved forward is because it’s become much more irreligious as a society. I’d like that to continue.

Have a great day.

My point is that the hypocrisy of the Irish and wider left on this issue exposes just how full of sh*t they (you can decide whether to include yourself) are.

Victim blaming - an absolute no-no unless it’s Jews being slaughtered in their homes. In that case, start printing the paragliders T-shirts.

Ensuring the rights of minorities and fighting against oppression - only when the white man is doing the oppressing. See the reaction when secular France tries to restrict religious dress in public.

The same c*nts in PBP cheered on Putin’s war in Ukraine and that elf in the Aras should be fucked out on his ear.

The left has its hierarchy of victimhood, and it fluctuates based on what’s on trend any given week.

And my argument is that Israel has the right to defend itself within reason, but since the threads on Yemen and Syria are never as active, I’ll keep calling out the b*llshit and bigotry that focuses so much more one specific conflict above all else.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

"Elf". Studs in with the blood libel and racism.

Says it all really.

Precocious obviously means something different to you than the rest of us.

I find it a bit odd how you're almost exclusively focusing on whatabouttery, rather than simply recognizing the actual reality of what is literally taking place right now. A civilian population is being bombed into nothingness. Your argument of "Israel has a right to defend itself within reason" falls apart at the 'within reason' portion, given that what they've been doing is far beyond reasonable retaliation as to just be a basic massacre. And again, that's why they're receiving so much empathy and support worldwide.

Anyway, bringing in the Palestinian angle (which you brought up entirely unprompted, despite your claim of only calling things out) has taken this way off topic, so probably best to leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Someone please do the honourable thing and put this thread out of its misery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It should be closed but the whiners will whine in feedback that they can't spout their nonsense without someone shutting them down. I'll give it a few more days then it dies.

Wow, such objectivity and even handed modding. You could be a TD for PBP yet.

• Advertisement

i don’t see any repeat of what happened on October 7th since. We’ve even seen Hamas start releasing hostages to try and save their own hides.

I’m sure the Israeli war cabinet would say their aims of restoring their deterrent capability and trying to release hostages are both being achieved,

They have made progress on both without even having to commit large numbers of ground troops, which is all the better as far as Israel is concerned.

Have a nice evening and a pleasant bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nkcee

Although it is a handy place to find all the racists and homophobes.

How was that post not objective?

No post or poster was singled out.

Do you identify your own posts as, "nonsense"? Is that why you are angry?

Or perhaps, it's just an off topic, issue? I think it's fair to say that your first post in this thread has dragged the thread entirely off topic.

A lot of these trolling clowns couldn't find Cork on a map but drop into this forum to spread their causal hate and religious phobias. Still, on the positive side, it helps build the block list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

You keep using PBP and I'm guessing you mean people before profit? Laffable, they are a million miles away from my politics.

Modding of a thread about a pride parade that wasn't a pride parade at all is tricky enough without people hijacking it to bang on about Ukraine or Israel or whatever other soapbox they fancy this week. This is why I'm considering closing it, nothing to do with you.

Since I've already posted in this thread, you or anyone else can take any issues with moderation to an admin by pm, it won't be discussed further on thread.

It would probably be more ProDuctive if you just went ahead and added me to to ignore list rather than trying to mine a few thanks.

Have a nice BH weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

Remember kids, if you disagree with Israel, you're an anti-Semite 🙄

There's no grey area here.

Alright, enough off topic nonsense - thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement