Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing a commercial

• 01-10-2023 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of importing a 2015 UK Range Rover which has been commercial ed as in rear windows blanked, rear seats removed. For Vrt and Nox etc would Revenue accept it as a commercial being that it was Private and converted or would they insist on full private VRT and NOX?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

They should accept it is a commercial vehicle but you can check with them first to be on the safe side.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

It needs an engineers report. Its neither private or commercial. Its 13.5% crewcab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭goochy

it has no rear seats ??

If it started life as a 5 seater then its 13.5%. Its been that way for many years.

there are companies importing 4x4s and converting to 2 seater comms. - surely the reason they are doing that is because of different vat between 2 seater comm. and 5 seater comm. or else they will sell as crew cab and get more money ?

• Advertisement

Generally speaking, you can’t convert a 5 seat passenger SUV to a 5 seat commercial

Usually you can only convert a 7 seater to a 5 seat crewcab

7 seats are hard to find, so sometimes they convert 5 seat to 2 seat.

And they pay 13.5% instead of 40%.

This is a common misconception, but a misconception it is. There are plenty of companies that will convert a 5 seat passenger SUV to a 5 seat commercial vehicle and all they literally do is paperwork (they must be qualified to sign off the paperwork obviously), no physical changes are needed to the SUV once it is one of the ones that qualify and loads of them do.

Check out DoneDeal and other websites rather than ask me who does it, Google is your friend.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

I’ve attempted to import a 2015 Range Rover myself just like OP is and I called everyone on Donedeal. If you call them yourself they’ll most likely tell you exactly what I told you.

I don't need to call them as my commercial vehicle is a 5 seater SUV, and I did say check out other websites as well.

But just on DoneDeal, type in "5 seater commercial tax" and you will see a choice of vehicles for sale including Range Rover's, Toureg's, Kuga's, Doblo's, Santa Fe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Land Rover, BMW X5, Volvo XC 90 as well as all the other usual suspects like Landcruisers, Rangers etc.

Google is your friend.

You must not be reading my posts properly. I had a 2015 5 seat Range Rover crewcab myself with commercial tax. I’m not saying it can’t be done. But any of the lads I called would only convert a 7 seat passenger to a 5 seat commercial. No one I contacted would convert a 5 seat passenger to 5 seat commercial, if it had 5 seats they would only convert it to a 2 seat commercial.

• Advertisement

I think you may be projecting, read my post again.

I am driving and have shown you numerous examples of 5 seater passenger vehicles which are for sale as 5 seater commercials.

You are not contacting the right people, Google is your friend.

I drove a 5 seat commercial as well, I know theres plenty of them for sale, when did I say otherwise?😂

And back to OP’s question. You will not get €200 commercial VRT on a Range Rover, no matter how many seats it has. You will be charged the 13.3% rate.

Its been this way for many years since the loophole was closed. From Revenue:

“VRT Category B includes commercial vehicles, designed and constructed for the carriage of goods and not exceeding 3.5 tonnes. These vehicles are European category N1 and generally have three seats or less. VRT Category B also includes motor caravans.

The VRT is generally 13.3% of the OMSP and the minimum due is €125.

However, some N1 vans are charged a charge of €200 if they:

• always had less than four seats
    • at any time a laden mass greater than 130% of the mass in service.”

Now, since OP’s car has had more than 4 seats at any point in its life, it does not get the €200 commercial VRT. It gets the 13.3% crewcab rate.

Sure, you’ll get commercial tax. But for VRT purposes it is classed as a crewcab and as such pays higher VRT.

Now weather you can turn your 5 seat Range Rover into a 5 seat commercial. Maybe you can. But in my experience I could not find anyone to do it. They would only turn it into a 2 seater like I have explained above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

Lovely explanation there,

Also worth noting if the end user is a director/employee in a LTD company , any suv type vehicle with seats behind the driver seat will attract full BIK ,which in my case is the biggest ball breaker . A 2 seater type jeep or in rare cases like the new defender that is available with 3 front seats is regarded as a van so has van BIK.

Not if its a crew cab - ever heard of Paddy Connolly 4x4 ??

Not sure if your talking about VRT or BIK

The poster is 100% correct about the BIK, lots of crowds claiming their commercial conversions entitle you to low BIK, but it is not true at all and if audited by Revenue you would be heavily fined.

And if we could get €200 commercial VRT on a 2015 Range Rover there would be plenty of them for sale here for €20,000 or so.

But because VRT is charged at 13.3%, or about €7k, you’ll never find one here for below €30,000. So I think that proves my point.

Advertisement