Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging: Griselinia v Fuschia

Options
  • 01-10-2023 11:54am

Hi folks.

I recently planted a Griselinia hedge which is doing well, but there was a few well established Fuschia plants along the boundary which I only cut back, and the fuschia is now growing back between the griselinia.

For winter privacy and colour I much prefer the griselinia. Will the fuschia win over the griselinia? It certainly looks that way. If so should I just keep cutting the fuschia back?

The fuschia are so well established that I'd need a small digger to get at the roots, which isn't an option.

Thanks

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The fuchsia will grow anyway, cutting it back will encourage it. I would personally take out the griselinia and encourage the fuchsia, but that's just my preference.

How high do you want the griselinia to grow? One suggestion might be to take off the side branches from the fuchsia and train it to be standards growing like trees between the griselinia. This will not work if you are growing the hedge to 8 ft. I don't think either the fuchsia or the griselinia will give way, they are both tough shrubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

Fuscia is an invasive weed, you will need to keep cutting it to the ground each year to keep it in check. Grub it out whilst you can.

I was in a constant battle with mine for 20 year after I foolishly planted it. I eventually grubbed it out but I am certain it will be back.

• Thanks Looksee and Shoog, very helpful comments.

I'll go with the option of keeping cutting back the fuschia until the griselinia is well established. (There's only two well established fuschia plants in a 60 foot hedge that is otherwise 5 year old griselinia plants).

Changing tack, I had another front 30 foot hedge that was all fuschia (maybe 40 years growing). Fuschia lovely when in bloom but no privacy coverage in winter, only leafless dry stems/branches that need cutting back every year, further reducing privacy.

I successfully dug most (95/%) of that out and replanted griselinia, although the other 5% is very deep rooted and shoots appear which I cut back when it appears. A job for life I'd say 😁. Thanks again.

Advertisement