Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it a uniquely Irish thing to salute strangers in the street?

• 01-10-2023 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Ive lived in Spain, Japan and London and each part had its own culture regarding crowd and street etiquette. In Spain, generally people ignore one another as its considered impolite to engage with strangers. But now im living in a relatively small town, i have noticed on my daily walks most people, particularly with dogs, tend to salute you or at least make eye contact with you.

Now personally I never respond to strangers on the street or even make eye contact because they are strangers! I of course stop and chat if i meet a friend or family member but ive noticed so many people in Irish town needs validation from utter strangers and I dont get it. Are you a stranger botherer or do you just walk on and keep yourself to yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

In smaller communities it's considered polite to at least acknowledge people by a nod or a "Hi".

Who knows, it could lead to friendships and or better integration in the community.

When driving on country roads it's also considered polite to acknowledge walkers, especially those who step aside for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Need validation? Botherer?

When everyone does it except you then you are the strange one 😉

It is also customary to salute every walker and oncoming motorist you meet when you slow down on a small country road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,748 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Common in the places I've been in the States. In some places it's to the point of thinking you are on the set of Little House On the Prairie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I think the OP is the one acting strangely. I've never found it considered impolite in Spain to wish a passer by a good morning, or Buenos Días. Indeed it seems to be a polite greeting there. Any country I've been in has people passing polite greetings between strangers on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I'm up in the mountains here in Spain the weekend and people are saluting me non stop. So no it's not just an Irish thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭con___manx1

It's not validation. It's polite to acknowledge especially in small towns or in the countryside. Its the same in Germany in the smaller places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They are probably foreigners doing that, not Irish people. There are a lot of foreigners in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The key phrase in your post is "small town". Chances are you're going to cross paths with these people over and over again as time goes by, so it makes sense to acknowledge them. I've seen the same in just about every country I've visited, whether for just a few days or for several months (or even years), so no, it's not a uniquely Irish thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I am curious to find out if things have changed that much on the Aran Islands. I remember a trip on Inishmore in 1981 and how the locals would salute with an ever so slight nod of the head to one side, almost imperceptible. It still is one of the high points of my first trip to Ireland many years ago. In other words, the greeting was altogether implicit, not a show-offy affair, which seemed to fit the islanders’ humble countenances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

OP, I’ve just checked the database, and you’re currently listed as a Category 2 Blow-In. Your aim would be Category 1. Now, this may not necessarily be because you’re not saluting people. It could be that you have a D reg or are wearing skinny jeans. However, not saluting people - particularly not returning a salute - would risk you moving up to Category 3 or even 4.

Category 3 would see you being ignored by the barman in a busy pub, tractor drivers refusing to beckon you to overtake on narrow, windy roads, and having a local councillor attend your funeral instead of a TD.

Category 4 would see you being told that’s they’re out of Bacon Fries in the local, even though you can see them hanging on the little rack behind the bar. And a Senator at your funeral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SNNUS

You are the odd one out to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Thankfully yes. The entire rest of the planet are rude chunts, we all know this?

Except for Wyoming, Cornwall, Staffordshire and Malaga. Maybe Maastricht and definitely not Paris, Lyon or Marseille. The French are scumbags, we know this. Ask the 14,000 or so unfortunate birthrights, whose lives were terminated with great tenacity in 1793, they are the lowest of the low. They even look stupid the way they pout their stupid chins when they shrug their spineless shoulders and gesticulate with both arms flailing around indicating that they are imbeciles. I am glad my French is so rubbish, it gives me an excuse to ignore the chunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

In Mediterranean places generally, a buongiorno etc is appropriate. Not so in Scandinavia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Am I the only one who reads "salute" and thinks of this...?

As for saying hello, nodding etc. I grew up in London so never would have done but, over here, in a small town for sure it's normal. I'd usually not initiate but I'd certainly return the compliment if someone said hello to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It’s certainly not uniquely Irish, happens in rural and remote places everywhere. People like to get a little measure of who going about in an isolated area, it’s quite natural. I’ve walked through a fair bit of Scotland, rural England & Wales, and people frequently greet you. Go to busy Guernsey and you’ll be well known in an instant. Go to a Scottish island and you will get to know everybody at the bus stop, in the bar or shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The problem is I dont know them! Its really that simple. Its just beyond me why anyone would engage with a stranger when you are passing each other on the street, even if that street is quiet. I have often wondered why the Irish are so guilty of this, although I appreciate it happens elsewhere after reading the posts here.

Is it just nosiness? Boredom? How you were raised. I neither greet nor make eye contact with any strangers when im out and about and the reason I asked the OP was i have been working at home the last 6 months and am getting out and about for a walk around the estate and nearby town, which is when I really noticed these random greetings, particularly from people with dogs. I dont respond at all, but thats been the norm for me anywhere I lived.

One group which is well known for averting their eyes and being generally unsociable is internet trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I have often wondered why the Irish are so guilty of this

The fact that you think it something to be "guilty of" says a lot about you. What about that saying that a stranger is a friend you haven't met yet? 😜

Assuming that you have friends, at one stage you didn't know them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's just a human being acknowledging the existence and presence of another human being. OMG, like, the audacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Imagine being friendly and approachable, the horror!

OP, I'd say you're earmarked as a weirdo in your neighbourhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It might just be part of Irish culture but from what I know it's certainly not just an Irish thing.

In Japan for example I know people often wear slippers inside this would be considered mad in other parts of the World. However if people visited Japan most would just go along with it because it's causing no harm.

It's very similar to people saying hello to you. Most people would just go along with it.

It's not going to kill you to say hello to somebody.

FFS!. What is there to be guilty of? It's hardly nosiness if they are just bidding you a good morning while passing on the street. It's being polite. It's being hospitable. It's being friendly. I'd honestly be more concerned about your behaviour than theirs and would consider your reaction to a greeting as decidedly odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭nachouser

Just go with "Top of the morning to ya" and you'll be grand.

I say Hello to the dogs in the street.

Go to most parts of South Africa and you have local children coming over to hug you, pose for photos. Same with Vietnam and other places. A lot of children in “very foreign places” express great warmth for the white person dropping by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

How do you ever get to know anyone? Or maybe you don’t.

Your first interaction with every single person is that of a stranger.

From social events, work, college, nightclub etc. Not on the street. Im definitely not the only one who blanks strangers either.

• Advertisement

What’s the difference between meeting someone at a social event and nodding to someone on the street?

They’re both strangers, to which you appear to have an irrational fear.

The purpose of social events is to make a connection if possible. The purpose of a street is to get somewhere..

What about all the people that go for a walk every day, and always end up back where they started? They’re using the street, not solely for the purpose of getting somewhere, but to excersize, and possibly meet someone new on their travels.

What about the people who go to a social event because the feel obligated, and get harassed by total strangers they have no interest in interacting with?

No idea what you are on about. The street is for getting places. Do you stop and interact with every single stranger you come across? Now that would be very odd. Eye contact and a greeting is for people you know and not strangers.

Thankfully, a lot of people can see strangers for what they are. Shame the dog walkers and other randoms cant see that.

Funny avatar / thread thing. I'm your friendly neighbourhood don't say hello to me guy.

Tip.

Put on oversized headphones, dark glasses and choose your route away from other human beings.

Simples...

• Advertisement

Available on Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Do you stop and interact with every single stranger you come across? Now that would be very odd. Eye contact and a greeting is for people you know and not strangers.

Wow! You'd better steer clear of the mountainous regions of west-central Europe then, where yes, it is expected that you interact with every single stranger you meet - and not just a vague nod of the head, but actual eye-contact and a verbal greeting in the local language (exceptions made for those new to climbing above 2000m and struggling for breath).

But even at low altitudes, why wouldn't you acknowledge another human in your vicinity? What have you got to lose?

People don't salute in daily life.

People acknowledge each other.

The human race as a whole are social beings. They interact.

Except for the outliers.

• Advertisement

Let me know if you require changes.

I will adjust and then you can purchase.

I am the original Wanderer. I simply wander the earth and meet people.

Along the way I acknowledge others by nodding or smiling and or other human expressions.

If you don't like people interacting with you then feel free to give them the middle finger.

Nobody expects you to stop and chat. They're greeting you. Saying Hi, Good Morning, Hello. There's something bizarre in the notion that you only make eye contact with people you know. Eye contact anxiety is often a sign of social anxiety or autism. People by nature are social and communicative creatures. Don't read more into a passing greeting, or glance, than what it basically is.

I would see it differently. I dont want to interact with or greet anyone that i dont know when im out walking or getting some groceries. And judging by the amount of people who do the same im certainly not the only one. Im pretty sure you have walked past people who just keep their eyes ahead and dont greet or respond to you. Do you take that personally? Of course not, you just go about your day.

I often wondered what those people skulking behind me on the street are up to. It is all clear now.

• I don’t think it’s a uniquely Irish thing, but especially in small and not so busy areas saying hi / acknowledgment of people is important. It’s a bit weird / uncomfortable / kinda rude to just walk past silently.

In busy areas, that doesn’t apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sounds like you need to keep wandering, till you find the place with all the other antisocial weirdos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭crusd

In a small community, acknowledging that another person exists is polite and aids in building connections. If you don't, in the future if you encounter that person at a social event their first thought will be "there's that stuck up c*nt who wont even say hello" and you are immediately identified as the one to be shunned.

In a big city, the odds of encountering the random person on the street are tiny therefore there is no advantage in acknowledging their existence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'll only salute in the street if it's a superior officer.

Advertisement