Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car juddering

• 02-10-2023 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve a 2019 Peugeot 308 which I’ve owned since new. A couple of years ago it was juddering at speeds over 80km/h. It started just as it was due a service, so I mentioned it to the Peugeot garage at the time and they said they thought it was due to the fuel filter and it seemed to be driving fine since.

A few weeks ago the juddering started again while my wife was driving it. Started when she got on to the motorway, pulled over and was happening even when trying to take off again so she got the car towed home. Got the car serviced, as it was just about due again, and mentioned this while booking it in. Juddering had stopped at this stage though.

Car was serviced and the mechanic said it seemed to be driving fine but the juddering has since started again. Was out driving in it last week at it started on an N road doing 90km/h, and continued at all speeds before finally stopping again and has been on and off since.

Anyone any ideas what the problem could be? It was serviced by Peugeot garages until the most recent service when I went to an Indy, but they all seem unsure what the problem is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

If you are feeling it though the steering wheel, it could be that the wheels need balancing. Any tyre place will do that for you.

Other than that, my only experience with juddering at speed is a whee bearing that was wearing out, slight judder accompanied by a ‘whooping’ sound.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Thanks for the reply. It’s not just felt in the steering wheel but the whole car. Passengers can feel it when it happens. I also got the tyres replaced and balanced recently.

Also if I take my foot off the accelerator while it’s happening it stops and starts again once I press the accelerator again.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 feckwunker

Is it a diesel? Could be an injector blocked or on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Sounds something like a throttle position sensor issue to me - eitherway, its something to do with the fuel delivery I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Yeah it’s a diesel. Would something like that be easy to diagnose/fix? Would I be best going back to the dealer garage or is an indy ok?

Meant to say there’s no engine warning lights when this happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 feckwunker

You could buy a cheap OBD2 scanner and see if it throws any codes at you. Indy garage should be grand to diagnose it. Throw in some injector cleaner next time you fill up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As mentioned it sounds like fuel issue.

Main dealer must have changed the fuel filter the time before and issue went away.

Don't assume that fuel filter was changed in recent service so check that.

I've no recent experience with Peugeot but they were k own to have the odd fuel pump issue in the past too.

Advertisement