Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty electric shower (or not?)

• 02-10-2023 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, we've had an electric shower that kept tripping. Called an electrician to take a look and he said it was gone, a leak was likely happening and it needed to be substituted with a new one. Meanwhile we had a handyman/plumber to fix something else in the house. He also took a look at the shower and he apparently fixed it! His English was not very good, so while I'm glad that the shower seems fixed, I couldn't really discuss with him the security of it. What I'm wondering is if it's safe to use? Will it just trip again if there's a problem with it or could it cause major damage? I really don't know how these things work 🙈 thanks for any advice

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I would not be comfortable about using a shower where I don't know exactly what was fixed. Potential for 'major damage' is one aspect, but lethal electric shock would be more my concern. Tripping is a safety action, if anything was done that would prevent power being immediately isolated in the case of a fault, then there is a potential life endangering issue. Electricity and water should never connect with each other - I think very few registered electricians would risk trying to repair a shower unit (therefore taking responsibility for it) ... better and safer to replace with a new unit under manufacturer guarantee.

Was the handyman/plumber qualified to work on mains electric installations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Faulty heater tank is the usual issue if it's tripping RCD

I'd be wary of using it til I knew what the fix was

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fiordy

Thanks lads! He said it was just some dust, opened the box and did something. Then thought us how to use it properly and not let it drip down when not in use.

I believe he didn't do anything with the main electricity so I believe if the problem was still there it would just trip again?

Now I'm scared though 😖

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Might have been just damp

Advertisement