Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeper base for steps

Options
  • 02-10-2023 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I have a set of steps up to a split level grass area from my patio. Steps were built with cobble stones set int concrete, they are coming loose and cracking. The patio was also done in cobblelock and is in great condition.

I want to widen the steps up (some soil/blockretaining wall removal) to the grass level (.5 metre each side) and build a wider/deeper set of steps, using patio concrete slabs set on 2m sleeper. Like in the attached photo only wider.

Question: How do I secure the sleeper to the cobblelock? Drill down through sleeper into cobble? Can sleeper sit on cobble directly? Do I need to dig out a small "trench"?

TIA! Complete beginner here....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Sleepers look very well in a garden set up but are an accident waiting to happen, when they get wet they are worse than black ice because visually they look safe but they are far from it. Anyone I know that has sleepers in the garden has nailed chicken wire on to them to try and stop slipping and this spoils the whole look.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

OP is trying to put stone on top of sleepers I guess. How to attach stone to wood? I dont know if that's feasable. The wood is a natural material and will move over time. Not great for fixing stone onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

Good point on slippy surface, plan is more like whats in attached image in original post sleeper facing out ans supporting front of slap "step". Behnid sleeper is existing steps, concrete and blocks so a decent surface ti take the weight and cement slap onto. The front 100mm of slap will be "resting" on sleeper. Just want to make sure sleeper doesnt move over time - how to screw in to patio cobble lock is the question.

Thanks!

Advertisement