Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 ODI Cricket World Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep, though given Bangladesh were 81/6…. To be 232/9 as I’m typing is some impressive going…. Mahmudullah getting a very skilful credible and entertaining hundred…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

SA looking like a great side. How will they screw it up this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭rpirl

Dutch need to get Smith and / or Warner out soon, try and ask a few questions of the Aussie middle order, who've not been very convincing so far this tourney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭MFPM

Australia putting the Dutch to the sword here, Smith finally hitting some form 158/1 off 27. 400 a possibility at this rate.

This is a hammering. Tremendous batting by Australia notably Warner and Maxwell. They're increasingly looking like the 4th semi finalist with India, NZ and SA...still a bit to go but hard not to see that grouping in the semis.

• Advertisement

400 was the total set. As I type the Dutch 86/8….

275 runs was the previous World Cup victory margin record .. Australia over Afghanistan in 2015

Dutch all out for 90 …. Australia with a 309 run victory…

be a while before that record falls.

Biggest defeat in ODI WC history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

This world cup is a pile of rubbish, Netherlands beaten by 309 runs, and bowled absolute rubbish to maxwell, who is only a glorified slogger. Circus act of a player who only fancies it from time to time, have barely watched it, and the absolute saturation of cricket has turned me off the game, bowl slog repeat, monotonous tripe

They made an error going on to expand it from this year…They surely must realise this.

A World Cup in any sport is supposed to be about the ‘elites’…

now they are expanding the football World Cup… how long before an expanded Wimbledon ?

inclusivity eh, this nonsense where everyone just has to have a chance and be included, so what if they are absolutely pulverised to the point it’s not in any way a sporting , entertaining, or of benefit to anyone.

I couldn’t watch the Australian innings, but on seeing the total I wasn’t going to waste time watching the Dutch one.. fuçking pointless.

World Cup, World Championships in any sport = elites, elite teams and athletes/sportspeople….

feel sorry for the Aussies having to travel to and prepare for a glorified training session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The 10 team league format is fúcking awful. There's too much of a gulf these days between the top few teams and the rest for that format to be anything other than extremely drawn out monotonous rubbish. This tournament won't get going til the semi finals, the final 3 matches out of a total of 48.

That said at least England being rubbish is providing some entertainment.

Also you can't complain about the Netherlands being there, that's the West Indies fault. The 10 team tournament was entirely designed to keep the minnows out.

England in trouble again 112/5. They have to win their remaining games and rely on other results so if they lose today they're gone with 4 matches remaining.

Ali gone followed quicky by Woakes, 123/7....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Jacovs

To be fair, Australia didnt know it would be a walk in the park before the game. SA beat Australia by 134 runs. 5 days later Netherlands beat SA by 38 runs. Another 8 days later and Australia beat Netherlands by 309 runs.

So you never know.

Afghanistan also beat England by 69 runs and Pakistan by 8 wickets.

I think there is some merit to having fringe teams in the competition.

137/8 England really struggling here. SL aren't a great side and maybe England can do something with the ball but it seems a lost cause at this stage.

England all out 156...it's bizarre how much they've declined in this format.

Sri Lanka already under pressure, they'll really kick themselves if they lose this opportunity. 27/2.

SL have steadied the ship and look to be well on their way to a decent victory.

From 23/2 to cruising to victory at 109/2…

I was thinking they might mess up the chase because they are an average enough side, but it looks good for them now at 95/2, on another note, why is Jonathan Trott getting so much praise for Afghanistan winning a few games? There are a few really good players in that side, and when they played the Asia Cup game against Sri Lanka, in which they needed to get to 292 in 37.1 overs, he admitted he didn't know they could have levelled the scores and hit a 4 to win the match before or at 37.5 overs. They got to 289, and were blocking furiously for the last few balls, but would have qualified with a 6. Trott admitted after the game he didn't know this, but received almost no criticism, the narrative was brave and valiant Afghanistan fall agonisly short. Personally I would have considered sacking him. Its it because of all his mental health stuff, and because he played for England? He's doing good work with them, but I think it's a really good squad who lots of coaches could do similar things with.

• Advertisement

Not a single English batsman with a 50… in fact 6 of the 11 didn’t make it to double figures even….now…

Nissanka 63* & Samarawickrama 50*

it’s some hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Regarding England i read that a lot of of their top players turned down the 3 year Central contract they were offered and instead opted for one and two year contracts including Stokes the captain . When the Captain is not pushed about showing his long term loyalty that shows that all is not well within the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yeah bizzare to give out about the fringe ones in this comp.

Not giving out about the fringe teams, I'm giving out about the format, 45 games to knock out 6 teams, plus the Dutch bowled a load of tripe to maxwell, and all the commentary team said, was what a player, great shots and all that stuff, the 2 sixes he hit to get to 100 were leg stump full tosses, and one was called a no ball even though both should have been, and they were leinster league 5th XI standard, but the gravy train commentators said nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Incredible fall from grace by England. No way could anyone see them being this shambolic. I did say they were going hoping it would be fine on the night. Still expected a semi final out of them.

Haven’t seen much of the fallout yet, I imagine everything will get blamed. Mott will get it before the players. He was an odd choice. Any half decent coach could take that great Australian women’s team to success.

This is looking like a close game. Pakistan made 270 all out. SA 136/4 Klassen and De Kock out cheaply. 28 oversto go.

Probably the tightest game of the tournament. SA need 8 runs to win with 1 wicket in hand from 4 overs.

Umpire's call in a review, SA get a lifeline by a fraction of a ball!

7 from 24...

• Advertisement

6 from 22...Pakistan need 1 wicket.

Advertisement