Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm payments 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,419 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Did these lads pay earlier last year when milk price was good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭jaymla627

On the larger dairy units where they are contracting out basically everything you'd have bills well north of 50k, and over the 100k for the 400 plus cow operations....

A few culls and incalf heifers isn't glong to make a dent in the above, your right in what your saying in all of the above, and any contractor doing work for dairy men should be sticking in them for it in the summer months, as the cash like this year drys up extremely quickly in a poor weather/price year, the way bank lending has gone now missed hp payments etc are a huge red flag and will leave you unable to get money in the future, leaving the contractor wait for it unfortunately is what lads do and use him as a unofficial overdraft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Pity more wouldn't use it. Silage contractor here get paid via bank transfer on the last few loads of each cut. maybe a small balance to square up at the end of the year. Chap doing the baling, its next to near impossible to get a figure out of him until Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Don't I know but only so many times you can shake a fella.

I invoice straight away for a one off job or if doing a lot of jobs in one place I'll invoice every 3 months.

Remind a fella about 2 or 3 weeks after invoice and then so one until paid.

Might not be the right way but I'm conscious that you don't know what's going on behind closed doors. You'll get the chancers tho aswell that will milk it.

Most lads will let ya know or give ya a timeframe on payment which is fine.

Nearly all Bank transfers nowadays so no point calling into yards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭DBK1

What were that 400 cow man’s milk cheques all year and why the hell would he still owe 100% of his contractors bill at this stage of the year?

If there are 400 cow men in that position then the best thing they could do for themselves and everyone around them is sell the 400 cows and set their land and yard as they don’t have the intelligence or business smarts to be running their farm if they’ve ended up in that scenario.

You’re right a few culls or in calf heifers won’t make a dent in that so scale it up to match their bill. Sell 20 culls, 20 incalf heifers and 20 milkers, pay the contractor, milk 370/380 instead of 400 and I’m sure they won’t be in a position where they can’t put food on the table because they’re only milking 380 now instead of 400.

They might even find they can give up that last 20 acre block they leased last year at €500 per acre just to stay at 400 cows and realise that financially they’re far better off without that land and without them last 20 cows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Ive most of the people im dealing with on bank transfers but Im blue in the face from asking lads as they leave to do up the invoice as soon as possible and WhatsApp a picture of it to me. I've told a few that I'm not chasing them anymore for bills. It's a pith having bills coming in for work or supplies from 8 or 12 months ago. Would put me off getting them to do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 18,442 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The 400 cow man will have turned over 900k to a million on milk alone cheques this year 1.5 million plus last year. He is probably culling 60cows a year so 30k there. The whole point is many lads choose to expand and expand and never decide to steady the operation.

The lads now not paying bills are probably the lads that took land at 4-500/HA last spring to expand there operations . Maybe a 150 cow man that took a 50 acre block paying 25k for rent went and bought 50 more cow's and spend another 50-100k of cash flow on fencing, reseeding, roadways water etc

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Dunedin

100% on that. Some lads are brutal. I’d have to ask my baler man at least 5 times for a bill. One year he gave me no bill so it ran over to the following year so me pays two years in one. Tis fierce annoying as I’d love to pay a lad going out the gate.

another lad did a small job for me a few years ago. He supplied the materials. Guessing about €300 or so and maybe €100 for himself. I spent 2 years chasing him , ringing him, meeting him in the pub but no good. On the last call, I told him I could do no more and I wouldn’t be calling him again. Never sent the bill and that’s about 5/6 years ago now.

These lads who aren't paying are probably the ones to ring looking for work done straight away etc

Anyway back on topic, got a text yesterday of correspondence for young farmer scheme. This is our 3rd year in it and they're looking for stuff we sent in at the beginning . Will have to ring them tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Birth cert, bank statements, invoices, partnership agreement.... agricultural qualification documents

• Registered Users Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭davidk1394

No payments here yet. Just going back to the contractors, one fella who does slurry and dung for me hasn't sent me on an invoice at all after I repeatedly asked him. With my own hire work, most farmers could pay me within the month, I've a deal done with a few others where I get a certain amount of money each month. This year I've noticed it's harder to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭lmk123

Do you know anything about this scheme, it was late last night when I saw the correspondence and haven’t looked it up yet, is it worth doing it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

There seems to be several ongoing processes in the Dept.

As I said previously, two tranches of the entitlements (0.8 and 1.08) I bought have been transferred into my herd number but the third one (2.62) hasn't. I got a text an hour ago from the Dept to say a payment was being made and to check agfood.

It looks like I got paid for the entitlements I already had up to this year plus the first tranche (0.8). I phoned the agent I bought them from and he said the Dept are slowing working thru the transfers and the payments, but if there was any issue I'd have seen some correspondence from them on agfood.

I guess it'll just take time for the various bits and pieces to be processed.

Looks like I got around €60/HA for CRISS. Does that tally with what others are getting?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Cran

Not to bad getting paid on the remainder, normally any issue wholes up entire payment which is nuts and lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Drone Dairys

Is it 50% or 70% of the BISS that is been paid today ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Ye we're in year 3 now. Good bit of paperwork initially but worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I've leased entitlements to my uncle, my mother has leased the land.

What should I be getting per entitlement at the moment?

Family & money is awkward enough so want to know what I'm owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

High value 60%

Low value 40%

Entitlements are easily leased from anywhere so both of ye can go elsewhere next may if ye not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Drone Dairys

Thanks. I was hoping 50 would be the answer. The amount is well down on previous years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We haven't received the BISS payment yet but got the ANC. There were yellow flags on the AMS and when I looked at the plots yesterday on Agfood they all related to ACRES riparian zone. I tried contacting DAFM by phone yesterday and today but to no avail, I gave up and sent them an email. Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Hi lads/ladies, few questions

Have payments showing as due but nothing in the bank. What should we do there?. Two penalties for small overlaid showing.

We live in leitrim. I have some land in kildare and the missus has a small bit in mayo. Can that all be lumped into one application next year even though distance is big?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,442 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Tileman

Has it landed in anyone account yet.

im with aib and it’s not there yet. Probably Tomo.

on the contractors the worse is whe. U give the man the cheque and he doesn’t fecking lodge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭DBK1

Just checked mine and it’s in the account. BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Dunedin

In the account here too - BOI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

In my account this morning, AIB.

Advertisement