Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Irish local elections Galway.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah I'm sure that's because one of their reporters is involved with Labour and not because the sales department at the paper got a massive payday for that wraparound. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭rustyfrog

Mates rates ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Yea saw that spread, thats paid advertising, no newspaper could refuse a payday like that, probably 5-10k I would imagine.I have to say that since I made my initial observation on the possible political bias displayed by Maxim Kelly he has largely been relegated to the non political stories and seems to concentrate on arts,culture, and gigs.It seems there is still a level of integrity at the GA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not exactly but you would be taking quite a few thousand at least.

• Advertisement

Well the big day is tomorrow,one of the main issues in Galway city is the traffic gridlock as recently highlighted by RTE

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2024/0529/1452002-galway-traffic/

I support a by pass as part of the solution to the chaos in Galway City and will vote for parties/candidates that reflect that position,I will post guide to party positions below.

Fine Gael- for by pass and PT solutions.

Fianna Fail- For by pass and PT solutions.

Labour- Niall McNeillis supports another bridge and other PT solutions, I assume also a by pass.

Green Party- Vehemently opposes by pass and wants only PT solutions to be considered,the party has been instrumental in delaying by pass for decades even welcoming and supporting the high court decision to halt it.

Social Democrats-not sure to be honest,one of their candidates is a cycling advocate but they are very quiet on the issue.I do recall that one of the last SD councilors was in favour of a small by pass whatever that means,the SD might be running with hare and hunting with the hounds.

Sinn Fein-No sure where they stand at the moment but I think they want a by pass

PBP- Against everything as far as I can see, they may consider a bamboo type structure over the corrib and a ricksaw based PT system.I think they will also mandate bicycles and mao style suits for everybody.

Independents-Most seem to be pro by pass, I have had difficulty getting the necessary information for all the candidates

All the new right wing parties(too numerous to list)- seems they have no policy/solution on the traffic chaos in Galway that I can see.

There you have it folks,my essential guide to local elections, if you are sick to your back teeth about the gridlock in this city, vote for parties/ candidates that actually want to remedy the situation with a comprehensive plan that includes the essential by pass.

Post edited by kabakuyu on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Green Party- Vehemently opposes by pass and wants only PT solutions to be considered,the party has been instrumental in delaying by pass for decades even going to the high court to block it.

Is that accurate? Can you point to any news references confirming it?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭MenloPete

No, It's not accurate. High Court cases were brought by Peter Sweetman and Hands Across the Corrib Ltd - neither are affiliated with the Green Party

• Registered Users Posts: 25,096 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Sinn Fein-Not sure where they stand at the moment but I think they want a by pass

SF are demanding a bypass. Cathal Ó Conchúir stated that if they go into Govt, the bypass will happen, not maybe, not if, but will happen

Can I remind people to rank paper all the way down, your vote will go much further. Example 20 candidates running in City East for 6 seats, that will be a very long count of transfers. Councillors have gotten elected on 1 vote in the past

• Advertisement

Ah come on now,their all the same crowd, all have the same agenda, two cheeks of the same arse.Pauline O'Reilley, Brian Leddin TD and the green party were ecstatic when the by pass was halted,dont take the electorate for fools.

I will repeat it again. if you want a solution to Galways traffic problems that includes a vital by pass,dont vote for the greens and avoid giving them any preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I can't vote for himself as I live in Dublin now but I would encourage anyone in my childhood ward of Galway West to give Cllr Alan Curran of the Social Democrats their highest possible preference.

We grew up together and are still good friends. He's a rarity in Irish politics imho: honest, capable and well aware that while a Galway City Councillor has limited powers, he can at least do some good in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

Is that their position as of today? Or yesterday? Or the day before?

What's the wind forecast for tomorrow?

Cathal said so on local radio a few months ago. Farrell raised issue in Dáil in January

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its like a talk shop here.

Have ye decided who to give number 1 to?

Going to vote for Declan Kelly myself.

He appears to be everything you say he is and I wish him luck in the election, but no vote vote for him from me as I do not reside his ward.

In all honestly I could not vote for the SDs, they were very cynical in their parachuting of Alan Curran into the East ward after their abysmal handling of the Owen Hanley scandal. They left the East ward under represented knowing full well that Alan C would be contesting the west ward in future elections, it appeared to be a ploy to boost his public profile and was a slap in the face for east ward voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Connemara North must have one of the shortest list of candidates going for election in the country with 8 candidates for 4 seats.

I hadn't decided who to vote for except my #1 so I decided I would give my preferences to those who called to my house and engaged with me.

However NOT ONE candidate (including my #1) or their crew bothered their arses coming to my door. Even the two that actually live in town didn't show.

I still have no idea who a couple of the independents are as they don't seem to have an online presence either. I wish there was a way to downvote the lot of them.

None of the Euro candidates called either but in fairness they had a lot more ground to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, but note that if your first pref is elected on the second or later counts none of your other preferences get used.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭rustyfrog

My understanding is they didn't have anyone in the east that was ready to step up at short notice to take the seat.

That's not strictly true. Your vote could still transfer as part of the distribution of a surplus.

• Advertisement

So you are acknowledging that the claim you made is untrue. Thank you for that, I guess. Also no mention of the Galway Races Committee and a local building supplies firm being equal parties in the most recent action.

Another one to file under: "if your argument was a strong one to begin with you wouldn't have to make $h1t up to try to get your point across".

It is a huge conSTITUENCY though

I really think Connemara should be split into 3 wards. Moycullen / Bearna Spiddal in a Connemara City Metro Ward and then have South and North Connemara Ward based on the Gaeltacht. South from Carna to Cois Fharraige and North Oughterard to Clifden

Post edited by what_traffic on

Am hoping we get some new faces and some of the old faces who have been around last 20 yrs are gone. Really should have a 2/3 term limit for a local Cllr. If ya haven't achieved what ya wanted in 3 terms then be gone with ya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Ya specially when they come along promising to improve things and you're left wondering why they didn't bother doing any of that in the last couple of decades they were in the position. Or my other pet peeve is them promising things they don't have much control over in the job. Which means they're either straight up lying or uninformed of what the job entails. Neither one being great.

I don't need someone that'll fix the potholes outside my house. I need someone that'll work towards a system where all potholes will be fixed.

Uh-oh Cllr Keane has made a boo boo

Councillor Keane claimed in an article in the Galway City Tribune that he was seeking to “reverse the changes made a decade ago, which have since disrupted traditional educational pathways and have adversely affected local families”.

As well as writing to Minister Norma Foley, Councillor Keane wrote to Bishop Michael Duignan, in which he repeated the claim. “As you are aware, Scoil Éinde was previously deemed a feeder school for Coláiste Éinde with the Admissions Policy for Coláiste Éinde reflecting this through the inclusion of the Parish of Salthill as a determining factor,”

But Michael Gallagher, former principal of Scoil Éinde, said he was “utterly appalled and astounded” by what he described as “misinformation” and “blatant lies”.

For the election map nerds

Galway City Elections - Polling Scheme

https://galwaycityco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9928b3a1f82b42a0b649112b97e0eedc

Has 3 different MAP Layers

• Polling Stations
    • Polling Districts
    • Electoral Areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

The problem is that collectively we the electorate like a bit of pie in the sky. Cake and eat it if you like. Anyone offering the bald truth is unlikely to get enough votes to get elected - once the other guys are making better promises, deliverable or not. The trick is not to be so outlandish as to be transparently false to everyone. And that leaves loads of leeway for candidates.

Anyway everyone secretly wants their own pothole fixed!

GGenuine mistake and it has been corrected.Easyone to make when we had Senator Oreilley making political capital of the situation. Btw we are discussing the local elections here,I cant vote for the other opponents of the by pass but the people of Galway can make their feelings known about the GP and many will remember the jubilation of the GP when it was halted.

On the subject of talking and making up shite,no one comes close to the GP and their acolytes.

Seems the SDs oppose by pass as well.I urge voters to vote for pro by pass parties and do not give opponents of by pass any transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Sounds like he listened to the gossip and didn't bother with his own research. Ironically the only other reason I know his name is from when he complained about the media coverage over the council move to Crown Square. This lad will never read past the headline and jump to whatever he thinks is popular.

The Irish do like a bit of cute whorism alright. Like to feel we're getting an inside track. Time to grow up though. That's why we have a lot of the problems we have and no long term thinking.

People need to realise that they're all our potholes!

Advertisement