Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Irish local elections Galway.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Sure this is a mad idea first mooted by the unelected GP councilor Niall Murphy.He proposed it because he is in trouble in the polls,and then he comes up with nonsense that is ageist and discriminanory.For him and other GREENS to suggest this policy is astounding.His envy of long standing and effective councilors is understandable but it is hard to believe that there are GP members who would endorse this policy.

Might be more the GP line to suggest a mechanism for replacing sitting councilors other than co opting.

It beggars belief that a GP councilor who never got 1 vote up to yesterday in Galway city should try to impede others from seeking election and that there are others that agree with him.Democracy me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,092 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Keane said the pedestrian crossing lights at Spanish Arch are causing motorist traffic jams - surely you heard that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

He also tried to gas light his constituents by claiming to be promoting active travel when he tabled a motion to take away the main safety changes being proposed outside Scoil Fhursa. At the same time, in a city where 20% of households don't have access to a car (and you can be certain the majority of that is for economic reasons), he referred to people walking and cycling to work or education as enjoying a luxury. Those comfortably sitting in cars are the oppressed sufferers in Keane's mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If a candidate is elected on the first count, by exceeding the quota, all of their votes will be considered when distributing the surplus.

However, on later counts, when a candidate exceeds the quota, it is only the votes in the last bundle that brought them over the quota that are used in distributing the surplus.

Let's say I give first pref to candidate A, who is a fairly strong candidate. She gets 5,000 votes, quota is 8,000.

First count: A does not reach the quota

2nd count: A receives some distributed votes, but still below the quota

3rd count: same again

4th count: same again

5th count, same again, she is now at 7,500 votes

6th count: she receives 600 votes to bring her over the quota, she now has 8,100 votes.

She is elected.

Her surplus of 100 votes is distributed.

The original 5,000 first prefs are ignored. They only look at the bundle of votes that took her over the quota. An element of randomness is introduced

My vote is buried in the 5,000 pile, and my other prefs will not be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Sorry, you are correct. I misread your original post I was responding to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://irelandelection.com/index.php

This website is useful to see results of past elections.

I assume it will be updated during the counts tomorrow.

Be aware people that the SDs also oppose the by pass, they have been flying under the radar on the matter and have avoided public comment on the issue.

Remember who to blame when you are sitting in gridlock.No votes for the Greens and SDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Where did you see that?

Edit: Never mind. Doesn't really matter. If you're voting based on who's for or against it then it's a bit of a wast of a vote. The Council are already chasing it and resubmitting proposals. They've had it on their vision board for the last 20+ years so don't need councilors lobbying for it. Then it's down to ABP to grant permission or reject again. No local councilor will have any input on that and ABP aren't going to be swayed by a local councilor. And then we're back to my earlier point about them lying or being uninformed of what the position entails.

Have you seen different? are you saying that Alan Curran, Justine Heaslip and Eiblinn Seoighte are for the by pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'll give both something now knowing that, thanks.

• Advertisement

What are u on about, you were always going to vote for them , sure you're here regularly defending them.😀

Weird to make a claim and then expect others to prove you right 😀. Anyway. Doesn't really matter. See my edit of the last post.

I'm so sick of hearing about the ring road that it's nice they aren't on about it. Couldn't give a fiddlers if it's built or not anymore but we can't just continue to put all our eggs in that basket and do nothing until it's built

I'll give you an hour to find posts by me regularly defending either party.

I was actually voting SF, Ind, possibly Labour, Ind, then maybe a FG. Now I'll add in the 2. Again, thanks.

Good man ben, voting for the by pass, well done.

Good to know you dont care either way, I always thought you were against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

The by-pass is kabakuyu's pothole. He wants it filled. Now.

I am. It's a waste of time (counting in the decades now) and not going to fix anything.
    But my bigger issue is the lack of anything else happening while they've put all their eggs in this ring road basket for the last couple of decades and done nothing else. If it gets passed by ABP this time then fine. If it doesn't, good. Either way they need to start doing other things. So I'll go with the candidate that recognises that and doesn't try and plamas me with waffle about how they're going to get it built/stop it. They have zero ability to influence it now.

Wrong,I want the pothole gone If u don't fix them properly or stand around looking at them,they have a habit of getting bigger and to fix galways traffic chaos properly we will have to include a by pass

Standing around leaning on shovels doing a patch job like the Greens advocate is not enough.

And just to bring it back on-topic, this is one of the things that appealed to me about Eibhlin Seoighte. I asked her a general question about traffic and she focused on improving all transport infrastructure; roads, paths, buses, etc. We didn't directly talk about the ring road but she did say something about not waiting around and taking a multi faceted approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

And shes right - even if it gets go ahead in September 2024 - it will be most likely 2034 when it will finished. Cannot waste another decade like we have. No new bus lanes in Galway City in the last decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I am fully in favor of an election for a seat vacated mid - term rather than co-option. More expensive, but will make party's consider the candidates for Local Elections far more carefully and in time will reduce people leaving seats IMHO. Still in favor of restricting term to 2/3 terms - same goes for the Dáil. Have heard of this proposal long before Cllr Murphy ever set foot in Galway City Hall. He didn't invent the idea. Have not a clue about what GP members say on the matter is.

Nope, fairly sure there's no bypass referendum happening, unless I've missed it. These local councillors will have as much say on it as you or I do. As the last 30 years have shown. Local issues are my priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Thought the turnout might be low but out here in Woodford it's been brisk so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭rustyfrog

Can you name some "long standing and effective councilors"?

Most of them whip up a frenzy about the bypass every few years and get another term. Effective? Where's their bypass?

Several of them get an estate or park path tarmac'd a few months before each election then feet up for another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

There's a reason why the likes of Mike Cubbard or Declan McDonnell continuously top the poll, because they are massively involved in the local community and are seen to be working hard to try and get things done, moved along, or whatever else.

You don't have to agree that they're effective, but if you think they're achieving that high level of first preference votes by shouting about the bypass, fixing the odd footpath, and then "putting their feet up for another few years", you're only fooling yourself.

Mike Cubbard is an excellent example actually. Genuine hard working representative with integrity. He's failed to get elected in 2 general elections but I think that's to the benefit of the locality.

I'd see Alan Curran as a Mike Cubbard type candidate in Galway City West.

Not familiar with anything Declan McDonnell has done, I'll check him out.

My predictions for locals in the city.

East Ward.

O'flaherty (Ind) to retain seat.

McDonnell( Ind) to retain seat.

Cheevers (FF) to retain seat.

Crowe (FF) retain seat after battle.

Larkin (Ind) retain seat after battle.Might have to wait for last seat.

The other seat will be a toss up between Burke(SF),Forde(FG),Ogbu (LAB),Heaslip(SD),but I expect Burke(SF)to win seat.Honourable mention for Mattias(GP) a tireless campaigner and an affable person.

West Ward.

Lyons (IND) to retain seat.

McNeillis (Lab) to reatin seat.

Higgins (FG) retain seat.

O'Conchur (SF) win seat he lost in 2019.

Curran (SD) win seat.

Remaining seat to be a dogfight between Connolly(FF),Keane(FF),Murphy(GP),with one of the FF's to prevail.

City Central.

Cubbard(IND) to retain seat.

Hoare(FG) retain seat.

Lohan (SF) win seat.

I would expect there to be still one FF seat in the ward so I see Forde(FF) getting a seat.

The last 2 seats will be a tussle bewteen Fahy (FG), ,McDonagh(LAB),Seoighte(SD),Lenihan(AON), and O'Connor (GP).

So you know sweet FA about local councilors, good to know.

Haha, central is not my locality. All I've heard from McDonnell is dinosaur views on transport but don't know of the positive contributions he's made in his locality.

Cubbard seemed much more open minded in council discussions I've observed and minutes I've read over. Very approachable and has agreed to meet with groups of differing views which is great to see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement