Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rental property tax return question?

• 02-10-2023 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi I replaced the carpet in my house that I rent out last year can i claim that back on my form 11 as a repair?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Might be an idea to get an accountant to do the return for you? it's totally tax deductible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Capital Allowance @ 12.5% of the cost over 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Strangely enough for rental income tax returns Revenue say the full amount of an accountant fee isn't a tax deduction ... only the portion for preparing rental accounts, but not the portion for actually completing the return.

Bizarre rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redcard

I’m well past the 8 year mark so I’m presuming that I can’t claim anything then?

I tell myself that every year and then just file myself 🙈

• Advertisement

The 8 year mark starts from the year of purchase of the item, in this case your carpet.

How much was the carpet and install?

Carpets will be classed as capital expenditure, so will only be tax deductible under the capital allowance rules.

To say it’s totally tax deductible is misleading.

Master of the Universe

Master of the Universe

Interesting! I'll have to talk to my accountant about that, have had two tell me over the last few years that it's tax deductible when doing my rental income returns.

That’s weird. Your post was second in the thread, with no mention of accountancy fees at that stage.

For what it’s worth, downtheroad is talking rubbish.

• Advertisement

€980

€980 was the cost of carpet this includes fitting

Revenue Tax and Duty Manual Part 04-08-04

Accordingly, Revenue is prepared to treat accountancy fees incurred for the purposes of preparing a rent account as an allowable deduction in computing Case V income. Accountancy feees incurred for purposes other than preparing a rent account are not allowable as a Case V deduction.

The full guidance:

The deductions allowed in computing taxable Case V income are listed in section 97(2) Taxes Consolidation Act 1997 (TCA). Section 97(2)(d) authorises a deduction in respect of “the cost of … management of the premises borne by the person chargeable and relating to and constituting an expense of the transaction or transactions under which the rents or receipts were received”.

Accountancy fees arguably relate more to the management of the landlord’s financial affairs than to the management of the premises. Also, such expenses may not constitute an expense of the transaction under which the rents were received.  However, it is recognised that the efficient running of a business of letting premises requires that a financial account be prepared.

Accordingly, Revenue is prepared to treat accountancy fees incurred for the purposes of preparing a rent account as an allowable deduction in computing Case V income. Accountancy fees incurred for purposes other than preparing a rent account are not allowable as a Case V deduction.

Advertisement