Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arteon Burning Oil?

• 03-10-2023 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Bought in March, 8k on the clock, Oil light came one, dipstick showing very low - no leaks, nothing obvious but oil looks no blacker than normal, hardly normal is it for 8k in to need a decent top up?

I assume I can use 5w-30 or should I try to get 0w-20 for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

Any warranty on the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jeremyr62

My 2014 petrol 1.4 ACT Golf did something similar when new but settled down and then used very little. Might just be running in.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gillamandango

Should have said 2023, bought new so full warranty. Weird thing is I went to top it up after dipping earlier, and the oil light has gone off. No top up added yet, but oil level still the same in the dipstick. Will be doing low mileage today so will see if the light comes back on but the level is confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

Always go by the dipstick. Check with car on level ground after sitting for 20 mins or so. Oil will be black if it's a diesel. Engine oil goes black almost immediately in diesel engines.

Could be just running in, check it, top up and monitor. I'd be inclined to run it back to the dealer and ask them to check/top up. That way there will be no enquiry about the grade/quality of oil if you do it yourself and there is a problem down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

Had a Tiguan 221 with same engine run v low on oil around the same mileage. Recommend getting the oil from your VW dealer and it’s a specific grade. Haven’t seen it use oil since mind you and around 40k on the clock now

• Advertisement
Advertisement