Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SICILY

Options
  • 03-10-2023 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some advice regarding going to Sicily maybe next March or April.. I just have always wanted to go their and would like to combine holiday with cycling..

When is best time to go? Where to base ourselves? Is it possible to hire out race bikes ? Best routes ? Would really like to hear from some people that have been their..All advice would be greatly appreciated.. thank you..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I guess it will depend a lot on where you are planning on visiting/staying on the island. It’s a big place!

I went for a guided day trip up Etna with Marco in cyclingitaly.com in Giardini Naxos near Taormina. It was a small group, just 3 of us. I think he rents out also if you prefer to make your own way. Bike was a Scott Ultegra - nothing fancy but all working well. Etna cycling was fantastic - lots of different routes and views/sights.

In terms of more general advice, the country back roads were generally good for cycling but lots of the urban roads were in poor condition (cracks, ruts, hairpins etc) and a bit difficult to navigate. Drivers are ‘Italian’ 😄 It might make sense to base yourself near a village rather than in/near a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

Sicily is a beautiful island. It is great for cycling provided you stay well away form the big urban centres, Palermo, Catania, Messina.

Most Irish gravitate to Giardini Naxos area.

the temperature rises very quickly after Spring and I definitely would'nt contemplate a trip in May.

As the previous poster said, the urban roads are heavy with traffic and are frequently poorly maintained.

You will need to bring your climbing legs to tackle anything in Eastern Sicily. A nice round trip might be around Etna, though it is close to 300km around the base. The volcano dominates most of the island. There are great climbing routes and good bike rental in Leotajanni/Giardini area.

I reckon it is best to join up with a bike shop doing daily tours etc. as navigation is quite challenging due to the myriad of minor roads.

Advertisement