Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flooring an attic space

• 03-10-2023 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭

I've a couple of questions about flooring my attic before taking the job on.

The plan is to floor out a space using some 8x2 OSB boards. There is nothing up there currently bar the joists and some rockwool/quilted insulation.

My questions are, if I take it on do I use timbers to raise the boards off the joists because of the insulation? If so what size should I use?

Do these timbers get place following the same line as the joists or run perpendicular?

When any timbers are installed, are the OSB boards then run perpendicular to the new timbers?

Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

What I did was, left enough of a gap for the insulation, ran timbers perpendicular to the joists. And then laid the OSB perpendicular to the new timbers. I space the new timbers to make sure there was enough rigidity. That's how I did it. Hope I'm not incorrect!

Advertisement