Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communion

• 03-10-2023 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7

Advice please divorced Husband has now changed his religion to one of the the new bible ones. He is now not agreeing to letting his son go to church for his preparation for his communion because it's his time with him and he will not bring him to the church what can I do I am Catholic as was his father before we divorced his new wife is from Brazil and he has joined her religion. Any advice I do not want him to stop my son make his communion

Post edited by Spear on

Best Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Does your son want to make his communion?

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Sit down with school/parish priest and explain the situation.

I presume your child was baptised so is part of the Catholic faith.

If memory serves it's the religion of the mother that takes priority when it comes to the childs religion in Ireland.

Missing out on sport activities is also not fair on the child. You may need to revisit whatever custody agreements are in place.

However regarding the communion talk to the priest.

Answers

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 Dianehello

He wants to make his communion very much. I have to add that his father tries to stop his football matches and practice every second weekend as they are on his days he will not go to see him play or practice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

@Spear this thread is in the wrong place @Diane

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Somehow couldn't untag my accidental tag

Where should I put it for best results first time on looking for advice

• Administrators Posts: 14,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Confirm your email address and we can move it to the parenting forum.

• Advertisement

Thank you will do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you want your child to attend a church then you'll have to organise that yourself. You have no right to oblige your former spouse to do so regardless of who has access at a particular time.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

It is organised but his Father has him every second weekend and will not bring him home in time for church. I cannot just go and get him and take him from the church he takes him too.

I have a meeting with my parish priest next week to see what can be done and I have an appointment with a solicitor on Tuesday. I think this will end up in court.

It is very strange that you are sounding so angry in your reply I am looking for advice which people have given me Not another person trying to verbally abuse me I have had years of this and got the strength to take my child and walk away. Everything I have done is to give my child the very best upbringing I can and that includes the same as each child in his school As a single parent this can be very hard when blocks are constantly put in your way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Can your church not just fit the prep in every two weeks? Can't you just fill in the extra at home yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What preparations are you talking about? If it's the Do This in Memory mass, I wouldn't worry and just take him to mass on your Sundays. The preparation is done in school.

• Advertisement

No Mass is every week at 9.30 his father church which is not Catholic but Elim Church and it is on at 10am and his Father doesn't want him to miss his Church even though our son is Catholic and being brought up Catholic. I will not back down on this and as I said am taking him to court and my solicitor said the judge will not even entertain his father

Preparation is done with the church and school He will miss the the white ceremony and they will not allow him make his communion on a day that suits his father.They all make their communion together. Anyway I will be in court and the judge will sort this out. My X husband I divorced due to being an abuser and he is again trying to get me by using our son religion. I am so much stronger now and able for him and not afraid of him anymore.

• Administrators Posts: 14,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@Dianehello this is not the correct forum for this discussion. This forum is for users to dispute warnings from moderators in Boards.ie forums. I am locking this thread until you confirm your email address and I will then move it to a more suitable forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement