Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

The hedges near my house regularly get bin bags full of empty beer cans
    thrown in them. This might stop now, but if it doesn't I will make a bit
    of money.

Not likely, the chances of those cans being undamaged and accepted by a machine are slim to none. At best, most of them will just end up in the green bin like they should have before this terribly implemented scheme/rip-off was dreamt up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I see them, you don't. You are making thing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cans can be really quite battered and still work. The idea that they need to be pristine isn't correct.

Two things that show that the re-turn back office really isn't good at catching easy wins:

Can I got that has a logo and wasn't registered so couldn't be returned; now is. Producer messup but it took an age to get corrected when reported to re-turn.

Map on the site seems to have a few extra locations on it since last time I checked (and >600 more than day one) but is still missing some that have been there since day one.

In one case, a machine that was on the map vanished, a nearby one got added - and now that is missing and the original one is back. They are both seperate machines and still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

In Lidl Donegal Town lunch time today. A big Lidl. Great shop, location and layout. Very busy. 2 Re-Turn RVMs right inside the door. Both out of order. Old woman standing there holding half her containers as the machine took the other half and she couldn't leave without just giving up on her deposits. 15 minutes later shes still there when I left with a queue of 4 behind her blocking up the entrance / exit. Must have been 25 degrees between the 3 sets of doors with the sun beating down. Not a word of any staff coming to sort it. Shop was rammed. What a sh!tshow. Doesnt bode well for when all cans / plastic bottles will be in scope on June 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

I see Re-Turn has acknowledged this exploit and are working on it…

Wonder how they could they fix this? By adding a big delay between payong out on similar barcode reads maybe? Add a camera?

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Didn't look like he walked away with a receipt for 25c???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

Maybe it didnt work - maybe he had it dangling in there for a few minutes and the bottle was scanned multiple times as if it was several bottles… dunno.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Remember they have said these machines are used all over Europe without any problems and it's us are the problem not the machines. That guy seems to have Hatton Bank Job level of skills in to what they presented to us as a perfect world…in reality a child on lunch break in primary school could have come up with this idea and I hope they all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0504/1447320-deposit-return-scheme/

Is anyone surprised? And why is Dept. of Environment refusing to release return figures? They say it would be premature to do so. Why so, this in not a commercial enterprise that has a right to not release information that competitors could use.

This is a NOT FOR PROFIT scheme we keep getting told!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭ooter

Bought in an Irish airport?

Yes you can bring them back empty and put them in a RVM here, I did it the other day

• Advertisement

I see some discussions online about hacking these machines. But apparently there is not much success. The best suggestion came back in 2007.

"The easiest way of making money off of the machine is to wait for an old person to redeem their month's collection of cans, and then mug them for the slip"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,996 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gullivers Travels

Dublin Airport now advise since there are no return bottle/can machines there that you should bring your empty bottle/can away on holidays with you and on return deposit it in your local return machine. Stupidity at its finest 🙄

Did they refer to the information published on the Re-Turn website about Boots and WH Smith?

4. Products Sold to In Port Non-Duty Free Customers

If the producer/wholesaler is producing/selling goods to non-duty free business customers in the airport/seaport (airside or landside) and these products can be consumed in the airport/seaport or brought on a plane/ship, a deposit must be charged as this is considered a standard domestic sale. These products must be registered with Re-turn and include a Re-turn logo and Re-turn barcode(ROI specific or international). To facilitate returns of these in-scope products and refunding of the deposit to consumers, WH Smith & Boots have agreed to operate manual return points in major Irish airports.

Postal administrations have regulations about the way items have to be packaged. It would be a shame if the bottle or can arrived back in Ireland damaged. And thinking about it, this must have been the reason that glass is not in the scheme. Postal administrations do not always allow glass bottles to be put in their systems. Excellent idea otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

reminder that this (the green countries) is the "all over europe" being mentioned by fans of this scheme lol

Is that map up to date for May 2024?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Wild question….do the vouchers you receive from the machine have an expiry date? Do they need to be used within a certain time frame?

I read something about it on the thread a few pages back. No expiry date, but the advice was not to carry them around like cash or cards for too long. The print quality is not great, and they might not scan at a till next Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Genghis

Yes, a stupid suggestion, but crucially, one that means DAA don't need to do or change anything. All the onus is on the consumer.

Its also disingenuous advice as each bottle or container has to be empty if you have it with you pre security. If it's full or partially full it will be taken from you (or surrendered by you to a bin) at security.

If the airport was genuine then we would see draining facilities at the gate, allowing you to empty your bottles so as to keep it like they suggest. I believe they only offer bins.

See photo below I took this week at security in Berlin Airport, apologies for the quality, but you see the idea.

Imho, the consumer friendly solution for airports would be

1) an RVM at security gate, issuing vouchers for containers (bought with deposit landside or prior to travel) that can be redeemed at retail outlets airside

and

2) a complete DRS exemption on anything sold airside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Used the machines in Dunnes for the first time yesterday. No issue other than 2 empty bottles rejected as not empty. I just put them in again and they went through. It's still a pain in the A taking to a machine instead using the recycling bin at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Barbie2k23

there isn’t separate bins they all go into the 1 bin together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I think I have worked out the reason why items are more easily read if barcode is downside is because the fulcrum of a small amount of side-to-side movement is fixed at the bottom, any small “settling” movement will be st its greatest at the top area creating an inability for the scanner to read it. Understanding the physics helps in the game of persuading these machines to accept your items 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Escapees

Or it could simply be that the camera and lighting is optimised for downward facing barcodes since the distance between barcode and camera is pretty fixed and relatively independent of the can or container size etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I just bagged up 250 cans/bottles , will bring to machine over weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

As we've seen from any sensible analysis on here all schemes are clearly not created equal and different countries also had different waste collection solutions before adding a DRS. Our lads have put their own special twist on Re-Turn. This map may as well show countries in Europe that sell shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Used these machines for the first time today, so as you can tell not a big user of placed bottles and cans.

When pretty well in SuperValu return center all eligible bottles accepted except possibly 1 or 2 and got about 5 euro total back.

But…

Ended up taking about half of these plastic bottles back…Aldi Water bottles…which don't seem to be part of the scheme?? No Bar code or Return label, so not sure why?

Now I presume we were not charged for these, but even still does it not make a mockery of the whole thing that half my plastic bottles come home to be recycled the normal way?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Doesn't really make a mockery if you didn't get a refund of a deposit that wasn't paid.

On the other hand if Aldi charged you a deposit on bottles with no barcode they owe you money.

After June 1st there will be no non barcode stock in shops.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement