Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In fairness you should post which machine and what time you intend to do the business 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Aldi are still selling old stock on which they do not charge the deposit. One that I buy is their 1 Litre soda water at 69 cents. After 01 June and probably before that, they will have new stock which they will sell with a deposit. Retailers were given a lead up time to June 01 to allow for the selling off of old stock. If they have a lot of old stock coming up to June, they might put it on special offer.

Tesco had 2 litres of sparkling water old stock selling off at 30 cents for a while. Tesco actually reduced their soda water 1 Litre from 75 cents to 69 cents (plus 25 cent deposit) after the scheme came in.

A consumer friendly solution for airports is definitely needed.

Maybe placing RVMs at both airside and landside would work better.

Vouchers refundable on both sides would make sense.

It still doesn't get over the problem of bringing airside purchases onto the aircraft.

Realistically nobody is going to mind a can/bottle while away to collect 15c on return.

It might work for some to bring a sports drink bottle and decant their purchase into it and then return to an RVM before boarding.

Sounds a bit convoluted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

thats very fair… they all should have done this or timed the launch so they had all the logo they needed on the bottles...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

That map is not accurate because in the centre is Czechia which does have "a" DRS scheme. It's just a better implemented one than here where glass is accepted, bulk return is allowed and refusals are extremely rare. No barcodes are used either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Im not talking about the money, more the fact that 50% of bottles still going in household recycling, that we bought recently.

Thats why I asked why ALDI bottles not in scheme yet or when?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭REDBULL68

I would like the person with 250 cans and bottles to please post a pic ,before he returns them ,and if he does to show a video of the machine, and how long it takes him ,given that every third can is rejected, and has to be reinserted again. Usually there is a queue, so show us please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I was in NL and used some of their machines, it’s a bit of a shitshow there but getting better. Anyway, I was intrigued how the Statiegeld machines in the train stations worked. Turns out you can either choose to donate the amount, or scan a QR code to get it back via Tikkie. Intriguing. I’d like to think this would be possible in Ireland but Tikkie is one bank in NL allowing the others to use its service, and they all support SEPA Instant, which none of the Irish banks support.

anyway I’ve a bag full of bottles and cans to bring up to Dunnes tomorrow, wish me luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

That is 425g for 30 euro if I am correct.

I was thinking more about real savings. My friend used to get 20kg of CO2 for less than 50 euro.

The same company sell 10kg of CO2 for the price you pay for one soda stream refill which is roughly 23x more.

There had to be a transition period in order to clear non DRS stock.

Stock levels of some items will vary from shop to shop.

From June 1st they won't be selling old stock any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

There was a few thousand euro worth of deposits left on Hill16 yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Both machines were out of order again this morning in my local Lidl. That's been the case two of the three times I've brought cans to return. Both times the cans went into the general bin instead.

Before this scheme, I was putting everything in my recycle bin. I don't know how representative I am, but there were far more cans being collected from me for recycling before this scheme was introduced. I'm hardly alone in that. But I'm sure the official statistics will be phrased in a way that avoids the comparison.

I wonder when Lidl will fix their sh!tshow, they’re consistently the worst. Though I remember being told by a German that usually each shop has a dedicated underpaid teenager to look after the machines.

aside from Lidl’s RVMs, Lidl in general has degraded fairly sharply over the past year. Probably related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

>There was a few thousand euro worth of deposits left on Hill16 yesterday

In case any doubt who's keeping the cash…

PRIVATE DEPOSIT RETURN SCHEME OPERATOR WILL KEEP UNCLAIMED DEPOSITS
    https://gript.ie/private-deposit-return-scheme-operator-will-keep-unclaimed-deposits/#:~:text=Minister%20for%20the%20Environment%2C%20Climate,%2Dturn%2C%20the%20DRS%20operator.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

Unclaimed deposits will FUND the scheme according to Ossian Smyth

"Scheme", maybe I should have said quango!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So it's like MUP then, none of the extra costs will go to government finances.

It's like a stealth tax with none of the benefits of taxation like public services or reducing taxation elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Or maybe they'll be left to the cleaning staff to reclaim as a perk…

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Exactly! Like MUP. "there is a problem with cheap alcohol being available". And th0se in the lower socio economic class are causing problems, healthwise and otherwise in our society. So, let's make it more expensive for them to buy this cheap drink.

Major drinks companies-hoooraay!!! No longer have to compete with the Aldi/Lidl/Dutch Golds of this world! Great so, the Gov't decrees you must sell your product at a price we fix and the additional profits, do they go to the Gov't to fund those with addiction problems? FECK NO

Sorry Mods if off topic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 lauracork2024

I use Dunne's but I've seen it in super value too

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should have ring fenced 10% of the unclaimed deposits to go back to consumers in random prizes given when they make deposits to encourage use. They could give away a Porsche Cayenne a week at the moment it's such a flop 😁.

just back from Dunnes, both machines with the “assistance needed, staff have been notified” screen. Went to the bathroom and they were both in action when I came out (less than 5 mins later), about €5 reclaimed, no rejects, all went in first try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Was in Supervalu Mount Merrion and now have a second machine and all items taken even if rejected and put back in again.

Only issue was i forgot to cash in on 7 . 20 refund ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Saw something on RTE website estimating the return rate is 16% but those who are responsible and involved claim it's a great success, though they won't actually give the stats to RTE because it's 'too early'. I wonder if 'too early' will becoame that rorting hide all 'commercially confidential/sensitive' that is used far too often in connection with government related matters and hiding stuff from the electorate.

There was brief video included which was a street interview with a woman. She admitted it was an inconvenience and annoying when she forgot and put deposit paid returnables in her recycle bin by mistake. Then she agreed with the leading question that it was a good idea.

So this 'good idea' is based on what, a measurable reduction in roadside litter that no one has or will objectively measure? That it encourages recycling? But that must mean someone else, not her, because she has a recycling bin and obviously was using it already.

Who reading this did not reycle before this scheme started?

Given the abysmal return rate, I am convinced this will not reduce roadside litter, as the people who were not recycling before are not going to change their ways, we are all that woman, greatly inconvenienced to recycle in a different way. No not gain in recycling, just more government imposed BS we have to deal with, like that stupid ban on alcohol sales before 10:30am, that incoveniences 8000 people for every alcoholic it makes wait a couple hours.

I don't think it's like MUP.

I hate MUP, before it was imposed on us most of the cans I bought cost about €1 on offers.

Now the same cans cost €1.69 minimum.

I have no chance of ever recovering the 69 cent.

The deposit is 15 cent and at least I have a chance of getting it back.

MUP was designed from day one as a heist to rob us.

DRS was designed to give us back the deposit.

Sure there are problems with the implementation of DRS and there is added inconvenience but it's not as bad as MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It'll have a net zero effect on roadside littering. All it does is inconvenience the consumer and put them out of pocket…yet again. Even though the vast majority of people were already recycling their plastics and the cans anyway.

What it will do for certain, however, is put money into the pocket of some private company. I wonder which party Ciaran Foley donates money to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭nachouser

We all just need to inconvenience ourselves much harder, as much as is possible, to make this thing a success:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Supervalu Monasterevin has been out of action for a week now.

Theonly other one at the garage was full.

So I just gave up and went home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Switching the packs from 24 to 18 cans probably didn't help either but...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/irelands-deposit-return-scheme-takes-fizz-out-of-coca-cola-k3nmp85b8

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement