Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I had the same thought.

This scheme is awash with cash.

They could give thousands of prizes of €50.

Imagine the surprise if you got a €54 voucher instead of €4

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think that's the bonus structure for Re-turn staff…

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I am disappointed that the journalist did not do follow up research to find out where all the missing bottles and cans went. What percentage were put into rivers, into hedges or on urban streets for instance. But is it possible that people have still got them in their houses, and they will pick up the refunds when it suits them?. I have about eight in my house which I have not used the contents out of yet. People could have bought loads of beer for a party next week, and those containers will not be counted in the ones which came back.

‘Given the open-ended nature of Re-Turn’s liability to redeem deposits, a return rate calculated over a short period will not yield good information as to the scheme’s performance.’

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm burying mine out the back garden with the gold bullion. Hoping the deposit will be raised from 15c per can to 50c per can so I then I'll bring them back and make an extra 35c per can. Feck bitcoin.

• Advertisement

It is doubly frustrating to see the carry of the rich people who don't need the money. Not content with harming our environment, they deliberately damage the containers before fecking them into the ditches or on the road. In this day and age of the Cost of Living Crisis, it is denying a source of income to poor people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So a 20% return rate through the machines so far - do they think people are storing the cans and bottles up in bin liners for months on end to do a big return

They are really deluded thinking this scheme is working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

well regarding Soda Stream, back in my parents day it was fine and it worked. I tried it at home in recent years, fuerkin waste of time, or not enough gas to even give Joe Duffy his normal on- air flatulence

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

Would it not be a better idea than the current sith show to not increase or have any add ons but give a 10cent return for returned bottles/cans....gives an incentive

• Advertisement

I have to store mine until I use whatever is inside them. But I don't call it storing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I’ll tell ye something for nothing, this afternoon I was observing the motorway between Santry and by Blake’s Cross earlier today, apart from some traffic aberrations, my attention was turned to the mammoth amounting litter by the verge, an incredible amount where people obviously throw rubbish out the window. It really is a sight to behold!

I'm storing mine. In the green bin.

I have a maximum of 2 cans of something a day. 2 x .15 = 30 cent. Over a 7 day period, that is 2.10 I'm losing in DRS deposits not being claimed. In the time and effort involved in bringing my 14 cans or bottles to an RVM which may or may not be working, which may or may not accept my cans, which may or may not print out a voucher which may or may not be accepted, I am not losing sleep over the "loss" of 2 euros 10 cent - a week!

When my Gatorade powder arrives, my loss will be even less.

I've run the numbers on getting a soda stream and they dont make it worth the effort, even though that kind of model is what I would like the world to adopt to reduce single use plastic.

Paper straws are hopeless, they get soggy and stop working, so I bought some silicon, dishwasher safe straws which I use when I get a Micky D or Burger King delivery. Ive got a reuseable waterbottle and reuseable coffee cup permanently in my bag for when out and about.

I'm doing my bit for the environment already. I'm just a bit cheesed off being taxed for it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭con747

So are you saying that everybody is stockpiling unopened cans and bottles for the future in order to make the re-turn statistics look bad or just stockpiling opened ones for the craic. 😂 I'm still on the fence on this but if no figures are released come the deadline some questions need to be asked, not that it will make much difference if it turns out to be a sh1tshow since the company can't be held accountable and the people in charge can march off into the sunset as usual with no consequences as usual.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

80 cans/bottles per every man, woman and child in the country hasn't been returned or refunded - apart from the one guy in this thread no one is storing multi hundreds of cans and bottles (full or empty)
    A fraction of those are waiting to be returned

I can only judge by own house. I have returned about 20% of the ones I bought so far. This is normal for me, I would be doing the same with my green bin before. It's just the way I operate. If I buy a slab of cans tomorrow, I will only be able to put a couple of them a week in the machines. I have to keep the rest as long as they are full.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Here is a typical RVM setup in Lithuania, this is my local shop here.

It’s in a separate room connected to the main shop, but with its own dedicated entrance…

I’ve never had to queue up here, and the machine has never been out of order, and it’s never once rejected a bottle/can I’ve put in it…

In Ireland Ive probably visited RVM’s on about 5 occasions, and on at least 4 of those occasions, there was an issue of some sort…

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

Thanks for the pic and comments. We can give advice to those countries bringing in RVM on how NOT to do it sensibly and properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Genghis

I don't know if the system is perfect elsewhere. See pic below, taken by me last weekend in Germany. 4 machines, only one working, queue of 6 people formed.

I certainly observed lots of people not bothering to return containers over my stay, and wondered how it could be that their ratio is over 90%.

My conclusion is the highly visible army of semi professional waste collectors, who not only pick up litter but inspect litter bins and extract anything with a deposit out.

Curious to see how effective these were, I I left a PET bottle on top of a bin and stepped a short distance away. Within 90 seconds it was retrieved by a man pushing a trolley already 75% full.

The other reason I think Germany is high is because it has land borders with 9 countries, of which only 3 have DRS. Around 80% of it's border is with a non DRS country.

As I believe German RVMs accepts all bottles (even those purchased outside Germany), I suggest there is a degree of 'reverse smuggling' compensation in the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

Hmmm, seems to contradict certain post on here on how brilliant the German system is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭Tow

Probably the most common PET bottles in Ireland are milk bottles. There is no return on them, as the 2 and 3 litre bottles don't fit the machines (and probably political influence).

Would I be correct in saying that Continental Europe are mainly/only use UHT milk, which it probably sold in a Tetra pack?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Singapore has the reputation like Germany of being very organised. But there are reports from that country that the installation of machines did not run smoothly at the start. Lithuania is mentioned in the newspaper report. If the figures are right, they were not nearly as good as Ireland for recycling. Until the deposit system arrived. In countries where the system has matured for years, it is a success.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/efforts-under-way-to-gear-up-for-nationwide-bottle-and-can-recycling-in-2024

And as mentioned above, it will be pickers retrieving the discarded litter who will contribute in Ireland to improving our numbers. I saw a report from Germany where there are street bins with holders on the outside for cans and bottles. This enables the pickers to get the bottles and cans without looking inside the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

German RVMs only take items with their logo or which are sold in that specific shop. Plenty of cross border stuff falls in to the latter category in big shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I can (and bottle) confirm that they do not need to be in perfect condition. As an experiment I picked up some when I was out walking in the last while. Obviously not nearly as many of them out there along the roads as the old stock. And many are just too battered to bother with, but some are just partly crushed out of shape. Of the ones I got, only one was rejected, and I got €3.55 in Tesco this morning. A small drop which won't go into the ocean, and despite the abuse on social media, other people will be doing this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yeah, I do a 3K walk every evening and have recently started picking up stuff. Generally getting between €1 and €2 most walks now (walks that I would be doing regardless) so a little reward for my exercise. I limit it to water bottles and soft drink cans, ignoring messy/smelly stuff like beer cans and Monster drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Indeed.

€100 equals a nice bottle of whiskey and a few bottles of wine at Christmas 🎄

I wouldn't be throwing that much in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I notice that facility is not wheelchair accessible.

WOW! 100 a year!

I genuinely pity you with that attitude.

Gathering up my cans, walking to the rvm which may or may not be working for a voucher which may or may not be accepted for a whopping 100 a year could be a great motivator if I was a 12 year old with time on my hands and got 5 euros pocket money a week.

100 a year is not a motivator for a working professional whose time is precious as it is. I imagine I am not the only one with this attitude.

• Advertisement

Lots of people can afford not to get their deposits back. But they should not throw the cans and bottles on the street. They could be the same people who throw away food they bought with good money. And then complain that they are the Squeezed Middle who are barely managing to exist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement