Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

Its borderline trolling at this stage. A massive part of modern life is time v money. We all know it. Plenty of scenarios where people pay a small fee to avoid inconvenience and time wasted that could be better spent elsewhere. Re-Turn is no different but dressed up as an environmental initiative. Supporters of this scheme know it too yet continue to argue in bad faith that reclaiming the deposits is worth this nonsense to most. The 2.2c per container isnt worth the hassle to retailers either. The architects of Re-Turn know all this also. Its by design.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I spend some time walking. That is not a time v money activity. I can (and bottle) make a few Euro now, which I couldn't before. And remove litter from the environment. Thanks to my rich fellow citizens. It's a win win every way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If your lucky while your at it you might find a bit of old baler twine to hold your trousers up.

Wake me up when it's all over.

🤣 Im not even sure what your point is here.

I can (and bottle)

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Your pity is misplaced.

However I learnt something from your post.

I had no idea there were so many motivated working professionals on this thread 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Trolling ???

It's just old fashioned thriftiness.

"Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves".

A lad found a piece of old rope on a beach. He put it up for sale on eBay and someone bought it. The circular economy is a wonderful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

you are NOT making money, you are getting your own money back! It’s exactly like as if you loaned someone money, and when you get it back you said “I’ve just made money” 🙄 You haven’t, you’ve just been reunited with your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ah not if you are scavenger hunting for dumped bottles and clearing away litter at same time … at the moment though it is hit and miss if you find anything, may not be in the scheme.

If there was an RVM on the route I walked, I might do it, but not going to be faffing about with putting them into car until I get to RVM.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I don't throw mine away, so I will get my money back when it suits me. Think of it as finding a Euro coin on the street. Although I know most people on the thread could not be bothered to bend down to pick one up.

• Advertisement

I am doing the deposit return thing, though it very inconvenient for me as I have a considerable issue with mobility. Regarding other people’s coins on the street, that is not being reunited with your own money, it’s an incidental coin that you can use for parking. Re-Turn takes your coin, and in a roundabout way gives it back at their convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Again, really not sure how serious your post is. If thats aimed at me, I pick up any coins I see.

Doesn’t surprise me at all about Lithuania. Notable everything is so clean and tidy in that photo, as has been my experience of the country.

Again quote function failing 🙄 Trying to quote @AndyBoBandy

I was on the motorway between Dublin Airport and Blake’s Cross yesterday, mounds of litter by the grassy side, including tons of plastic bottles thrown from cars. A national embarrassment. Nobody is going to be picking those up anyway.

Edit - see I posted sImilar last night, but it is a sign that car occupants are STILL throwing rubbish on motorways and not saving up bottles to get money back, and there is nobody to pick up these bottles etc, until a council truck with safety set-up, arrives to clear it up some time.

I nearly always go to the Ulster GAA Football Final in Clones, and find a spot on the Hill. Other games there as well. I wait around for a while to let the crowd clear. The Hill is covered in rubbish, including bottles and cans. And if someone wanted a match programme ( four or five Euro to buy), there are usually a few lying around as well. I won't be there this Sunday, but I think some pickers will help themselves to the bonanza. But with it being Donegal famed for their thrift, and Armagh bringing out of scope containers, it might not be so productive. It would be a good result for the environment, if people bring their stuff home. They don't have any problem travelling with picnics, so there should be no excuse.

I think this was mentioned before in the thread about who could get the money for all the abandoned empties in Croke Park at the games there. Clones would be more suitable for pickers, but if they leave any behind, the cleaing staff will probably help themselves. Probably not too long now until the legal profession get involved to make rules about this sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

There was thousandd of discarded cans and bottles on Hill16 on Saturday after the Leinster match. I didn't see one person picking them up to make a few euro (maybe the cleaning staff did later in the evening).

Was there an RVM and/or a recycle bin into which people could put their spent bottle? I've never been to Hill 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Ok

Good for you. Great to see someone working as a professional or something

€100 after tax is hard earned for a lot of people

I didn't say I was happy throwing 100 in the bin every week. The argument put to me was it was a saving over a YEAR.

I could stand at the top of O'Connel Street for a couple of hours on a saturday asking for spare change and hit a hundred in less time than a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Advertisement

Another poster who I suspect is not actually here for mature debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Been on crutches and without transport as a result for two months. My shopping can be delivered thank god. However…. This scheme is an absolute pain in the neck for anyone with physical restrictions. Even living in a town I can’t get my cans to the nearest machine without help.

Twice I’ve gotten a lift to it, once completely out of order machine and the other more than half my returnable items were rejected (despite washed, not damaged and correct items with deposits paid). It’s incredibly awkward to manage the machine while balancing on one foot as it’s high up and then I ended up trying to carry a half empty bag of cans swinging off the crutches while picking up some items in the shop (I had a backpack for them)

This scheme just does not work for those with limited mobility/transport issues never mind those in wheelchairs who can’t reach the slots in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

No RVM. There were bins in the main concourse.

exactly. I have secondary-progressive MS, and a limited pension, although some capital which I need to provide for as much quality of life and as much independence as might be possible going forward. Doing basic shopping requires mustering energy and the effort is quite considerable, but it is very good for me to get out and about and not sit at home moping and thinking how unfortunate I am. Some days energy is in very short supply and my arms are at the point of giving up, as well as my legs of course. The added effort of doing the DRS some days is more than I can muster, and the plastic bottle build up.

Why do I use plastic bottles? Another medical issue where I get severely dehydrated if I don’t continuously sip water. I hate chlorinated & fluoridated tap water, it’s not even good for me. I like sparkling water and it is good for my system. Hence I get quite a build of of these bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I go through on average 2 cans per day at home but let's round it up to say 20 a week

At 15c per can that's €3 a week.

Per month, that's a max of about €13.50 (again overstating the numbers)

That's less than the cost of the spice bag I had delivered last night (€15)

It continues to not be worth my time or the aggravation that would be involved to keep them all pristine all week, gather them all up and drive down to the closest machine, hope it works, hope it takes them all, and get my €3 back (or the cost of a 500 ml bottle in some places)

I don't litter and I don't consume that much overall really. I'm also under no illusion that we're saving the planet in Ireland by punitive measures like this.

I continue to do as I've always done… squash and throw them in the kitchen bin with the rest of the rubbish. When the single 240L bin I have outside is full with those bags (every 6-8 weeks), I throw the lot into the boot and drive the 15 mins to the landfill where it's all disposed of in the compactor for €10-15 (depending on overall weight) each time.

That €10-15 (lets call it €30 every 2 months, or €15 a month) is itself a hell of a lot less than the money I'd spend on 3 separate bins and collections too - only for it to likely end up in the same (type of) place anyway.

According to some posters on this thread you display wanton disregard for your own personal finances.

If you stopped getting a spice bag once a month, and returned your cans to an RVM you could afford to spend christmas in Ashford Castle.

Thats about the height of it. If you refuse to work for free to return your containers you must be loaded and have delusions of grandeur.

I think Re-Turn supporters now recognise how shambolic it is and this is the best they can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Jesus Christ no. Why do you think people would accept uht as their only option?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For those that know what they are doing, would it really be that difficult to have a real-time app showing when machines are operational or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes and they should also show the fill level so if the machine is at say 80% there's no point in you starting to tip your black bags worth of cans/bottles as a member of staff will be needed to empty it before you finish. All basic stuff that should be known decades back from other countries experiences.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement