Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In Coca Colas case it is not just the deposit. They cynically at same time as deposits introduced jacked up prices by reducing pack size of cans.

People going to switch to own brand / reduce purchases or go soda stream route.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Those capitalist running dogs want me to pay €12 to read that. I got a few lines from another source. Mid single digits is not a massive hit.

"Sales of Coca-Cola have decreased following the introduction of the deposit return scheme. In a trading update for the first quarter of the year, Coca-Cola HBC, which bottles and sells Coke, Fanta and Monster Energy in 28 countries, said that volumes here “decreased by mid-single digits, as consumers adjusted to the.."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I gave up the coke zero,used to pay between 10e and 14e on average for 24 cans,now its 20e for 18 including deposit.greens will get no votes from me,Assinine Smyth can get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rugbyf565

all government have to do to fix this is have **** machines that dispense real cash

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

The last thing I want is machines that dispense cash to be honest, another reason for them to be shutdown when they run out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

Coca-Cola article

Zoran Bogdanovic, chief executive of Coca-Cola HBC, told analysts last week that it could take “several quarters until the market, meaning consumers, adjusts to the new reality”.

He added that the “typical reaction … is that there is a slowdown”. However, Bogdanovic said the company was confident the scheme would not be a barrier to its continuing growth trajectory here.

Time will tell. Not sure Zoran appreciates the reality of Re-Turn. Maybe he's been told it's the same scheme as everywhere else.

Yeah option of payment to bank account should be included for those that want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thats a very very very weak piece of logic. It wouldn't account for the millions upon millions of unaccounted for containers at this point.

There's not many containers that last in this house beyond a fortnight and it's so far usually a once a month trip to the local shop to burn some diesel and time to get my money back, if that even happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

As I said before, people got too caught up in a newpaper report. And I said to wait for a few years to see if our system matures into something like Norway and Germany. The transition period is not even up yet. DRS seem to be slow with press releases, but in their last one on 31 March they identified that our scheme is doing well in comparison to what happened in Slovakia. Which I think was the most recent EU adoptee prior to ours.

Benchmarking Success in the Early Stages

At this early stage, Re-turn’s performance is tracking well against similar deposit return schemes in the EU. Slovakia, with a Scheme launched in January 2022, serves as a close benchmark due to comparable models and population sizes.

In its first month, Slovakia collected 264,000 containers, while Ireland returned 2 million. By their second month, Slovakia had reached 8 million containers, a figure Ireland surpassed with over 10 million containers by March 18, highlighting the Scheme’s early success.

Ciaran Foley, CEO of Re-turn, commented on consumer support and the levels of returns over the last few weeks: “The support of consumers nationwide is really positive and as more Re-turn logo products enter circulation, we are seeing high return numbers that will only continue to grow as we all become more accustomed to the Scheme.”

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

It might or might not end up being a success. The true measure is the percentage of cans/bottles returned & collected, compared to the same figure before the scheme was introduced. So far that figure is a secret. I'm sure we'd be hearing all about it if the rate was better now than before the scheme.

Any bets on why figures are being released, but not a comparison? Buzzword Bingo options include "GDPR", "Commercial sensitivities", "Dog ate my homework".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dog ate my homework is the only reason that could work there, the rest are just avoidance with no valid basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Drog79

Payment to bank account is actually an excellent option and made me think of our automated tolling system. I should be able to setup an account and then with a pin deposit to the account, no faff at all. That would be much more workable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Not only is it workable, with today's technologies it's easily doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Anecdotal, but I've been accumulating a lot of returns and took the trip this weekend to find 2 machines out of service and full, respectively. There should be a repercussion for the vendors for not playing ball with the scheme. I had enough of the stuff that I drove down further.

I'm not wasting more time and petrol driving to another post code to get my cash back. Throwing it all in the green bin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If the machines are out of order what is stopping you doing a manual return inside the shop?.

I would not be dumping cans with logos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭con747

I don't think shops are able to take manual returns unless registered as under a certain square footage so if the machine say's no when out of action send a complaint in to re-turn or keep trying other machines if any are around. Or just put them into the recycle bin you have and save your sanity and carbon footprint if you need to drive. Why the hell couldn't they just get something right in this country. Lets see how this pans out.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cross border soft drink runs is like something out of Father Ted…

Tesco right now…

18 cans of Coke Zero €19.70 (€17 plus €2.70 deposit)

18 cans of Coke Zero in NIRL £5.25 (€6.15) and use your paid for green bin with no technical issues ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭REDBULL68

Great idea about manual returns, went down the shop tonight, 2 machines, 1vwith the shutters down, the other full ,looked in the door, big queue at the 2 tills, out of 8 that weren't open, Great plan stan .

Paying it directly into bank account is too easy.

The rent seekers must get their cut, screw the ordinary customers trying to do the right thing.

The shops want it to drive footfall. The suckers must be sucked.

Look at how councils etc have completely abandoned all responsibility and don't operate a single RVM.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,000 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And I said to wait for a few years to see if our system matures into something like Norway and Germany.

We have data. Holland are 3 years in, all the same problems we are experiencing now they are still experiencing. Inevitably instead of fixing those problems re-turn Holland are going for the increase the deposit option. We will be doing the same in 3 years, I guarantee it.

But but but we will be like Germany, something something.

• Advertisement

You are forgetting though, this scam has not been set up for your convenience, in fact it has been purposely setup with inconvenience baked into it for 2 reasons.

A store voucher increases consumption, a locked in voucher to a specific store drives footfall.

To be fair they are not making a secret of it, they proudly declare it on their website.

The hilarious part is the cheer leaders of this telling us all the technology is not there to return the deposit into your account, so we have to print billions of slips of paper. Because this is for the environment, init.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Heard a certain SuperValu where I work not accepting vouchers in return for cash. This is surely illegal??

They probably are but between 8am and 8.25am on a Sunday morning.

Looking for your money back is bad Hamster behaviour.

Take your 15 cent voucher and put it towards something where we have a 50% mark up.

Then the scam is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

And that for me is why the greens can f/o,everything they touch costs me an arm and a leg.

Not much point in something being illegal when there's nobody to report it to who will take any action.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

We discussed this before but never really came up with a workable solution.

In my opinion the main reasons why shops don't want to set up a manual operation when the RVMs are down.

1 Staffing. Who would actually count the cans and refund the customer. Most shops these days don't have staff who are not already assigned enough tasks to fill their shifts.

2 Hygiene. Where would the manual return be sited ? Bearing in mind it would need to be an indoor area separate from the shop.

The shop is in breach of the terms of the scheme so Re-turn should deal with them.

They should for sure. I wouldn't hold my breath on trying to get them to do so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭RayCon

I watched a guy yesterday at a machine in Lidl, trying to deposit what looked like 330ml cans of Kopperberg. The machine took the first 3, then rejected the next 3. The guy took out his phone, started to look at the barcode on the can, type it into his phone, then tried the 3 cans again. All got rejected, so printed off his voucher for the 3 that were accepted and went back outside to stick the 3 rejected cans in the public bin. Needless to say he looked rightly pissed off.

• Advertisement

True enough Super Valus are sort of independent republics and not used to being told what to do.

All the same that kind of messing needs to be nipped in the bud.

It's especially frustrating for people on the move.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement