Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The ordinary public came dead last in the priorities of the Government.

The ordinary public came dead last in a number of priorities of the current sitting government. I am expecting a major shift come election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So we are going to have to pay three times for the scheme? Once for the inconvenience, once for the increased bin charges and thirdly with increased store prices because of the extra staff needed to keep the rvm running.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I am currently working for a Norwegian bank. Norway like other Scandinavian countries is basically 99% cashless and Ireland is going that way except our banks who the people saved about 15 years ago, have done nothing to improve their systems. Is it any wonder every person I know now has a Revolut account??

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Genghis

While you are quite correct, that would be very easy to do 'at the front end' / user interface, we don't know how re-turn is set up at the back end, both technically speaking, but also to protect against fraud, etc. Key difference being that ther is no 'front end' today (no app), so it can be built, but the 'back end' is already built and not so easy to 'pivot' as such.

Consider the limitation we have today that a voucher from a store can only be used in that specific store. You cannot even use it in another branch, its location bound. Now just like they managed to set the scheme up to accept bottles bought in any store at any machine, re-turn could have been set itself up so that vouchers printed at any machine could have been redeemed as in any store. That flexibility in turn would have allowed cash to be redeemed in other ways (like on an app) and it would also have allowed for vouchers to be generated from machine locations that are not tied to a retail store (e.g. civic amenity, office blocks, schools, airports).

Instead re-turn, a brand new scheme remember, was, it seems, set up to be location limited, re-turn clearly believe that to be perfectly acceptable. I wonder if that is because there is an operational reason (like for example the retailer fee is paid or accounted for in their back end based on redeemed vouchers, and not units collected), or for a risk reason (like they would need a secure way and manage to 'issue' cash vouchers, and this would be way too much effort with no benefit to re-turn). Most likely it was down to a lack of imagination or any consideration of the end user (because of all of this benefits the end-user only).

None of this is unsurmountable, much of it would be as easy in fact as the front end - ticketing, voucher and gift card schemes amongst others have overcome these obstacles - I just don't think re-turn would have been planning for any such innovations and it may now be too late to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Rather like an RVM machine that is out of order, the thread is stuck again… feeding it more posts to try to unstick it :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

And the very same stuck on lids would cut the nose off you while you are trying to have a drink.
    A load of sh1te the lot of it from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Austria is starting their scheme in 2025. Like the other countries I looked at, the software is being provided by a company called Sensoneo. The countries with long standing schemes have developed from inception. Ours will be the same.

https://sensoneo.com/

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea this is exactly it.

The story of "you just bring back your empties the next time you go shopping" is actually not the optimal outcome that the retailers want.

What the retailers want is your house filling with annoying empty bottles that are in the way. You decide you have to get rid of them, so you decide to go down to your closest shop. Then you get the bit of paper, and you think there's no point in bringing that home with you as you'll probably lose it or forget it next time you go shopping, so you go into the shop and spend more money.

They will say "oh but you can just cash your paper out instead of buying anything", but again the retailers know that absolutely nobody wants to be given cash, particularly in such odd amounts that's almost certainly going to involve a load of shrapnel in your pocket.

I honestly hate this scheme. We are avid recyclers, we recycled everything before. Our dirty bin would go out every 2 weeks almost empty. But keeping empty bottles and cans around is an absolute pain in the ass. They take up so much space, space that we really don't have.

And I keep forgetting to bring the poxy vouchers when I go shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

How come plastic milk bottles, food tins aren't part of the scheme?

Why is it only water, soft drinks, mixers?

Not sure if beer/cider is included

• Registered Users Posts: 29,184 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bump.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭nachouser

Test

Test

Test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭jj880

Whats the big hold up sorting this thread out?

Its been going on long enough now to be fixed surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Still no problem with the machines but I'm starting to find it a pain in the ass bringing a black bag of containers to the shop and spending 10 mins emptying it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It is clear that it is more inconvenient to use an RVM rather than a recycling bin but if the RVM pays out there is no cost.

We discussed the increased bin charges before but it's not clear how much if any of the increases was due to DRS.

As for extra staff, you are right the wages will have to be paid. Of course the customer is the one who pays all the bills.

Absolutely everyone except me. I don't mind taking cash. They will say "your pockets will be full of shrapnel". But I have found a way of spending it in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭jj880

Agreed on that.

My response would be tough sh!t. A problem of the governments own making. They've allowed a scheme so stacked against the customer its shambolic. It has to be sorted out and the sooner the better.

Plenty of cash from people's unRe-Turned deposits in the kitty now. It must be like Scrooge McDuck's underground money pit at this stage! Update the back end to allow changes whatever it takes. Less of the CEO spoofing with sweetheart RTE radio interviews also. Theyre just insulting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

same people are working on ReTurn software 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Can anyone here describe in some detail the model used in any other European country, eg, are the machines at shops, tied to shops or chains of shops, supplied by local authorities, or/and dispensing credit to users’ bank accounts? And is “funding model” “circular” like ours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

Re: Emptying Machines

I shop generally once a week. Most items in an a recently opened Aldi and the old go to Super Valu. Chatting to one the employees in SV and he was saying what a pain in the arse having to empty the machine at least twice a day. Now their machine is of the size of say nearly 1 1/2 American fridge freezers. I have seen once, where people were using it. This SV has seen a dramatic decrease in shoppers with the Aldi. So I can only imagine what the emptying rate is in a bigger shop.

Having said that-since inception have only seen the Aldi machine being used 2-3 times since inception of this nightmare scheme.

Just my observations!

I was at an Aldi, and nobody used the machine. Just my observation. Bit of a nightmare, but I will get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Milk is excluded because of vested interests - the dairy lobby. No other explanation stands up to any kind of scrutiny when you consider orange juice bottles are included.

Food tins aren't included as they aren't valuable enough.

Drinks cans were included because of their value - not because we needed the scheme to meet our targets for them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I saw the exact same machines in Berlin recently

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ligind

4th trip to the local supvervalu since the scheme started to return a bag full of plastic bottles.

Machine was out of order , out of the 4 attempts it's been out of order twice.

I had to carry the bag of bottles around the shop and then home. First world problems but it's a nuisance.

I would have been putting all these in the recycle bin anyway ,very tempted just to revert to doing that if the machine is out of order on next attempt.

Post edited by ligind on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

So nothing to do with saving the environment then. What a load of bs

Just accept it as a tax. Reduce your consumption of bottles and cans as much as possible and use the bin as normal. It'll go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

Put them in the green bin-good for the environment.

Put them in the green bin-good for the ReTurn quangos as they rely on unclaimed deposits to pay themselves.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sick to fcuking death of this shite already.

Again a trip to my local supervalu, four bags of returnables.

Machine took one bottle and red hand appeared. Container full. Printed a 25c receipt.

Sh1t scheme which does not work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ironically I saw a guy today going through bins at a gas station, and picking out bottles/cans, even a car parked off to the side 20 meters away hooted his horn at him, and he went over to car, and the 3 people in the car, who were having lunch, gave him their bottles/cans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement