Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭jj880

Re-turn need to get their act together and make sure you can get it.

Good man. Now you're starting to see sense. Not just make sure we can get it. Make it convenient and easy to get it whenever it suits us not when it suits Re-Turn.

Lets separate retailers and their staff also. Shop staff have been sold a pup here too. Extra work for zero reward. Same as the customer.

• Advertisement

• Advertisement

Edit: and we're back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's not a refundable deposit if 'the retailers and return need to get their act together so that you can get it' or more importantly the company needs people NOT to return items in order to fund the scheme, which is ridiculous when you look at what the aim of the scheme actually is.

Being entitled to something and actually getting it are two totally different animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Good man yourself, you've managed to misquote me, patronise me and assume my gender all in one go.

Clearly there are problems and they need to be sorted.

It's not so much that shop staff have extra work.

More like the amount of work has been underestimated by management.

Given the staff just sign on for a shift they are available for work during that time.

If they are for instance diverted from shelf stacking to empty an RVM it's not really extra work just different work.

They have repeatedly said that their target is 90% collection.

Therefore it's a fair assumption that the companies finances add up based on that figure.

They don't need people not returning.

Their success will be measured by the return rate not the size of their cash reserve.

If you look back at my posts you'll see that I've consistently been encouraging people to reclaim their deposits.

Indeed when others were advising people to dump their cans I said they should make sure to collect their deposits.

Why is that a fair assumption?

It would have been a fair assumption to think that the organisation had thought of all potential issues with the system based on decades of data elsewhere and a robust public consultation here as well.....

Because if the return rate reaches 90% the company has to be financially viable to continue.

That's pretty fundamental.

They hardly set up a company that will go broke if it achieves it's objective.

Good man yourself, you've managed to misquote me, patronise me and assume my gender all in one go.

Report my post if its so heinous.

If they are for instance diverted from shelf stacking to empty an RVM it's not really extra work just different work.

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous piece of logic Ive read on Boards since I signed up. I think we'll just not engage any more. Similar to the CA thread. No point really.

I wouldn't dream of reporting your post.

We are only exchanging views on a recycling set up not some difficult political matter.

This isn't some sort of one way street it's a discussion forum.

People will have opinions different to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Of course it's extra work. The shelves don't stack themselves while the stackers are busy collecting the public's well travelled rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'll leave it to others to judge who is making stuff up

You are, clearly.

My question is an obvious pertinent one, you answered it with fiction.

When I said let others judge I really didn't mean to include you in others 🙂

It's a well known legal principle that you can't adjudicate in your own case.

I completely refute your accusation that I posted fiction.

Now we can leave it at that and continue to discuss DRS or bore everyone else with an endless back and forth.

Actually I am.

I became aware by reading the details that are in the public domain.

If you like check them out and refer back to my post.

You might have heard of Time and Motion.

Look it up if you are interested.

There are only so many minutes in a workers shift. Most of them especially in chain owned stores are assigned a variety of tasks which they are expected to do in their shift.

Together with breaks, toilet breaks, travel time from one part of the premises to another etc. makes up the total time at work.

When they finish the shift they are out the door and someone else takes over.

If they have not finished all the work assigned to them the next worker will be already behind before they start.

This is obviously not sustainable.

If an extra task like looking after a couple of RVMs is introduced to the equation without taking account of Time and Motion then something will have to give.

Either the workers won't get all the tasks done or extra staffing will be necessary.

Post edited by elperello on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Genghis

While not quite a 'full time' job, the work involved with an RVM is not insignificant for the retailer, it would definitely need to be provided for.

The weekend before last I was in Lidl and watched as shopped a staff member perform a routine check and empty.

They had 2 machines, both working, and he arrived with an empty crate to, I guess, replace in the fullest machine. Because people were using a machine he had to wait for the machines to be idle. He also had to help explain to one man why some items rejected, and to another customer he had to handle a complaint that no bin for rejects was provided, before finally getting to the machines, checking them over and emptying the fullest. The whole operation, including hauling the returned items away, took 12-15 mins. No idea how often this is needed, but I expect it must be every 2-3 hours.

There would also be non routine tasks (breakdown, restart, customer assistance etc) that would take a few minutes to resolve several times a day, there would no doubt be cleaning tasks, etc done each day.

So a store with sav 2 RVMs probably needs to provide for 4 man hours a day to maintain their RVMs. Over 7 days it's actually not far from a full time position then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

Was at a Lidl that has put in a self service checkout but you can't use the deposit voucher from that shop at them, you have to use one of the normal tills. Is that the same for self service at Dunnes, Tescos etc does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

So in short, it's possibly the most inefficient system in history to reduce plastic/cans pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Dunnes - the return/deposit vouchers definitely work at the self-service checkouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Or, they have to take someone off a checkout, so customers will have to wait for longer when paying.

You're contradicting yourself within the scope of your own post… "most of them"? So what about the rest?

There's more co-ordination for managers (who are staff) who have to manage these additional duties - and do you think they only work their minutes? Nope.

So the statement: There's extra work for staff to do is true. Whether that means the current staff have to do more work OR more staff are required, it is true either way.

This is a very dubious hill to make a stand on, I really don't know what point you are trying to make and how it reflects on Re-turn.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement