Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,904 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Options, what options does one have when like Magnolia Fast Image above.. it won't scan. Thanks bye 👋 😘

What's the options?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

good point, this is a simular scenerio i had mentioned being a possiblilty in the other recycling/RVM thread.

i feel its a really bad idea this scheme

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you don't know if you paid a deposit what lesson can we learn from your experience ?

we can learn that this RVM re-turn scheme is stupid, and should give people free money back for their recycleables regardless of re-turn icon or not, and should take a page out of germanys book, where they have a high recycling rate because no one has to pay any deposit on their bottles/cans yet gets a free deposit back when returning them.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

• It’s a stupid system that won’t increase recycling rates very much if refusing to accept a perfectly appropriate recyclable material for spurious reasons (ie a barcode).

Again why can’t the machine take the can and just not give me a deposit refund if one wasn’t paid or it’s ineligible?

What happened here, is Magnolia Fast Image didn’t recycle the can because I wasn’t dragging it back home to pop in the blue bin.

A can I had, for the record, dragged from home just to pop into the machine for the heck of it. I was intending to give any refund to charity as that’s an option I believe.

So, here’s your lesson:

i kept a can with a view to using the machine. The machine rejected it. The can then went into general waste. The can didn’t make it to recycling. The system has failed in its very purpose to increase recycling rates.

Simple as that.

Just as I suspected from your earlier post we have learnt nothing from your little outing

It's been said many times on the thread that no tweaks to the current system could get us to the recycling targets we need to reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Just because it's been said many times on this thread does not make it true. I would rather see a public discussion with ReTurn, waste collection companies/manufacturers of products and containers/public representives, and other experts in the field. We are exceediing current EU targets for recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭flended12

Here's one for you, pictured is a Dutch recycling icon on back of an Irish produced craft beer. Be hillarious IF IT DOESNT WORK as the last time I checked we (us and the dutch) are both in common marketplace.

• Advertisement

no i think it's a you problem and how you used the machine is how it did'nt accept your can. it could be static electricity but the real reason behind it i believe is because you were over-evolved. if you were pikachu and attempted to recycle then it may have worked. i wonder what the outcome would have been if a porygon attempted to use the machine.

Yes, sadly we learned that this RVM scheme is a scam. And not as good as germanys reverse vending machine scheme where they give deposits/money for bottles, but don't require the customer to pay for those. no deposit. and germany also accept outside cans being brought in and used in their machines, they're not as fussy as Re-Turn and dont care where the bottles/cans come from. and because of this they have a high 90 or 98% recycle rate.

we could learn a thing or two from them

i've posted numerous ways we can reach those targets, but quite simply the 3 most common ways we can reach those targets if re-turn really want to, is 1) stop being fussy and allow all non-return cans. 2) don't force us to pay a deposit when purchasing the item, which would make the scheme reward based incentive instead of a punishment based one. Reward us with free money for out recycelables! 3) allow overseas cans and cans from the north too

You're right just saying it doesn't make it true but some of them backed it up with facts and figures.

On the other hand most of those saying we could do it with the current system seemed to be relying on a hunch.

Don't take my word though search back the thread.

I like the idea of a public discussion but it's probably too late. I can't see anyone in the trade backing down now that we've gone this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭homingbird

THE sooner someone throws a cig butt into a plastic bottle for recycling & sets it a blaze the better that will be the end of it then the same as they stopped collecting plastic at recycling centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Thank you and yes I have provided some facts and figures that we are doing well in recycling but must do better. Being of "green persuasion" and done the "green in actions" over decades I believe I have some experience in persuading people to become more environmentally friendly. There is a role for a financial tariff and or even sorting one's waste into separate bins. However, I find this current system will not work as envisaged, will piss people off even more trying to be green. My feeling is also many here posting are in urban areas. I live in a very rural area, one trip of 17 miles one way, once a week to do my shopping and other bits in town. Have yet to be charged, but reckon €3-€5 per week on "deposits". This money will permanently in the account of ReTurn as I will not be in town for another week. Then, make sure you retain your receipts and another segregation of waste, standard waste-recycling-and ReTurn waste and be careful to not squeeze the can. But time will tell but I do not feel this scheme will result in improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Germany has a deposit on bottles. Think it's 9c. Only applies to reusable bottles, mostly beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And 25c on PET. There's no non deposit stuff that gives you anything back, because that doesn't make any sense.

• In this country it’s much more about stick than carrot in all enterprises.

• yeah sorry next time I’ll write down all the barcodes in blue pen if accepted and red pen if rejected in my notepad I carry around to dunnes and etc on the off chance I need to record something to post on boards for the communities greater education.

Silly me left my pencil case behind so I can’t teach you anything sorry :(

• Advertisement

Like myself you are currently doing a good job of recycling.

I've said several times on this thread and others that there is inconvenience involved.

It's obviously easier to put the recyclables in the bin as you finish with them.

With DRS you have to store them and return to the RVM.

I see it as a step up in the approach to recycling and I will make the effort.

Having space to store and a car to carry the stuff is a bonus.

As you say time will tell. I'm hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What tweaks to the current system were tried over the past decade to enhance it?

The KPIs of this DRS scheme have nothing to do with recycling targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

My nearest Lidl operated a pilot scheme for the last 18 months where one could return any drink can or plastic bottle via their 2 RVMs, regardless of origin, for a payment of 10c - redeemable via token in the shop like in the official scheme that's just been launched.

My returns were almost exclusively cans and I don't recollect any being rejected. The biggest problem was that one or both machines were out of order on maybe 25% of my visits to use them. I suspect that in most cases all that was required was a reset by a staff member, rather than professional maintenance.

Should any item be rejected, there was a separate chute where you could dispose of it.

I found that the belt on which you place the item moved fairly slowly and a few attempts might be required before an item would be accepted.

One day i got talking to another recycler there who had a couple of refuse sacks of mainly plastic bottles. He explained to me that he picked them up on his cycle commutes to work and that a farmer on his route gave him any he found on the grass verges outside his property. Now, I had been told that if a can or bottle was damaged that it would be rejected. I noticed that many of his bottles were pretty severely damaged so I asked him. He said the key thing was that the barcode could be read and that with a bit of patience and adjustment, most would be accepted eventually. He said the most he had made in a visit to Lidl was €17 but it took him over an hour to input the stuff - he added that it was more than he made in an hour at work!

Thank you to the posters who supplied the barcode spreadsheet and online checker here. I have a backlog of cans on which I haven't paid a deposit and discovered that many were included. They are mainly Zywiec lager and also some more obscure lagers bought in Supervalu. I brought some to Aldi last night and all went through successfully. The Aldi machines seem to work much faster than the Lidl ones and give the impression of being heavier duty with wider belts. Similarly to Lidl, there is chute where you can put any rejected items.

I hope to try the Supervalu and Tesco machines over the weekend.

None that I know of.

What would you suggest ?

I thought the whole point was to reach the targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Had a can of 7up that was bought a few weeks back, no deposit paid, the online barcode reader said I'd get 15c for it but I didn't give at the RVM, not too bothered as no deposit paid. A plastic bottle gave me 15c though, also no deposit.

So in my research it's 50/50

Also the purple crafty cans from Lidl had a sign beside them that said the deposit was being charged despite no re-turn logo on the can, no cans on the shelf though so presumably the sign is in advance of new cans coming soon

• yes that’s much the point I will not engage in the effort necessary to teach you about the machines as if you want to learn you are free to stand in your local supermarket and insert cans and bottles with abandon.

I have scarce interest in engaging a lot with them because I honestly do not have time to spend at a machine popping bottles and cans in to get a little print out for Mickey Mouse money and spend another while quing at customer services to get it back.

In order to get back €1 I’d have to recycle 7 cans or bottles up to 500ml or 4 bottles up to 3L.

Then I have to Q for another while to get my money back. So as I say all that time for Mickey Mouse money. A few cent in general unless you’re stockpiling cans and bottles to bring.

If you grab a drink on your lunch break in work do you finish it and drop it in the Rvm before you finish break or bring it back to work and make sure to bring it home and add to the pile to drop off once a week or month?

Then how many can or bottles are worth the trip to the machine? I’m aware that there’s a cost of living and every saving helps but I’m struggling to identify the saving in using my limited time and my car which alone costs money to run in fuel to return recyclables that I previously just put in my blue bin.

How much do I need to drop back to justify the cost of fuel? granted the expectation is you will do this on your weekly grocery shop or at a time you had otherwise intended to go, but there’s still the time as I mentioned and indeed the question of how this will impact us in terms of how we otherwise deal with our empty cans and bottles.

Im genuinely unsure if I happen to buy a bottle of water say while I’m working if I will preserve that bottle to return after work. Will I bring it home and store it in my house so it remains undamaged until the next time I’m near a place with an RVM, drop it back for the aforementioned Mickey Mouse money I’ll get back on a voucher I need to then exchange at the customer service..

or will I fcuk it in the recycling bin as I’ve been doing for donkeys?

I think the answer is very obvious for the majority of people and that’s exactly why this system is a total farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

Greyhound have just mailed to say they are raising their monthly prices on 1st March by €2.99. Coincidence I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A few off the top of my head:

More publicly accessible, segregated, regularly collected, bring centres.

More public recycling bins in or around our built up areas and public spaces.

Greater enforcement of our significant anti littering laws.

Segregation of existing recycle bins(trial).

Incentives for producers to use less plastic packaging or rethink packaging in general.

The targets that we are to reach with the DRS are defined as collection targets, not recycle targets. We need to show we are collecting 90 percent plus of plastic bottles.

• Advertisement

if thats true, then someone on this or another thread had lied. if i find the post again i'll paste the link to it here. from what i remembered being thrown around was there was no extra cost on their drinks, and that they accepted cans from other neighboring counteries.

the deposit thing didnt make sense to me, because how can it be called a deposit if its not paid upfront when purchasing cans

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement