Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's an awful lot of rejection based on trying the system once.

It's real money not Disneyland money.

If you want to throw it away I guess I can't dissuade you.

I on the other hand will be taking steps to ensure that I don't leave any deposits to Return uncollected.

If I'm unlucky and lose some, well I'll take it on the chin but I'll do my best to collect every cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Why don't re-turn or government just straight up buy our cans from us?

Cut to the chase, reward the people, get the recycling numbers they need, and then everyone's a winner!

Seriously why not? its insane that they're demanding free help, and then even more annoying that its only their specific logo cans they accept. If they accepted ALL drink cans, they would reach their goal faster!#

They are being too fussy with what they accept, too controlling, and too self entitled!

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• I’m happy for you that you have the time to spend collecting cents in vouchers and cashing them in.

I am not being sarcastic when I say I do not have the time to do it and most cans will inevitably end up in my blue bin.

Some good ideas there.

The enforcement and reduction in plastic and other packaging should go ahead anyway without delay.

I think the civic amenity sites should be improved and expanded. Also they should stop charging for disposal at them to encourage more to use them.

Your bin suggestions are probably not going to happen now that Return is in place but they could have worked without it.

On the targets we have been told that the RVMs will yield a regular supply of clean segregated material so why would it not be used ?

Thanks I will make time.

Sometimes there aren't enough hours in the day and then there are periods where I have time.

Being a thrifty person by nature I will have no problem chasing down the cents.

Would you consider giving your cans to a local kid or good cause ?

• Advertisement

the way i see it, they're asking for too much and they want to have their cake and eat it.

They should give money for our recyclables. loss money to meet their target, or keep their money and not reach their target. they're being greedy and choosing beggars by wanting both. why cant they just give the people what they want?

the streets would be mad clean of cans and bottles if they was willing to give people cash for them, straight up with none of this nonsense they currently have

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

We are being told that we need to show we that are collecting 90 percent of all plastic bottles sold. That's the aim of the scheme.

You'd think we'd have at least tried to improve on the existing infrastructure and practices we had in place before ripping up the whole thing. But no, it's yet another what should be public service essentially privatised and the onus pushed back on the consumer for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭babyducklings1

Same feeling here have recycling bin and put all the recycling stuff in it and pay for it. Now have to haul it back to supermarket if I want money back. A nuisance. In a supermarket tonight saw the recycling money back machine or whatever it’s called open and a staff member trying to figure it out while a bunch of people looked on , probably waiting for deposits back, Didn’t envy the staff member.

Yes collection is the remit of Return but they plan to sell on what is collected for recycling.

Yes improvement of the existing infrastructure could have happened any time but with the arrival of Return that ship has sailed.

I'm not sure that having the state involved would make things run any better.

This system is sort of polluter pays in an interesting way.

The companies who sell the drinks and the consumers are the polluters.

The companies want to flog as as much product as possible and the consumers want the easy availability of various drinks.

The way Return is set up the consumer gets away with some inconvenience and a good chance of not losing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

They'll sell it on for what makes most economic sense I'd think, as is what happens with this type of material currently.

But why has that ship sailed? Why weren't those things tried first? Why the big change and pissing off a lot of your population.

The state are involved but the state have removed another public service in doing this to an extent.

The companies are under no obligation to reduce packaging, in fact the opposite is usually the case in other countries this has happened.

• Advertisement

Yes they will sell it to recyclers.

It's sailed because Return has been set up.

The state long since got out of waste and left it to private companies.

Packaging reduction should be the next priority.

The only supermarket initiative I know of is in Lidl where they provide bins after the checkout where you can remove and leave excess packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭babyducklings1

But we already pay through our green bins/ recycling bins and people are good at recycling here. Was on holiday abroad in an apartment with communal recycling bins and we are saints in our recycling compared to what I saw. Huge cardboard boxes thrown in, no effort to break up the card board to make room for more stuff, I was shocked. They didn’t care and the bins were overflowing . Doesn’t make it right of course. But for the people who do recycle consciously here in the green bin and pay for it now it all has to be gathered up and returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's what I was implying/saying. Deposit is only on reusable bottles. I kept PET out of it is the deposit on those also just on reusable bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,627 ✭✭✭✭L1011

25c on single use PET and on cans.

8c or 15c on reusable plastic and glass.

Nothing at all on non deposit products or those bought outside Germany despite claims here (by others) to the contrary.

They also have crates to bring bottles home/back in, those have deposits too, usually a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

People will lie on boards, that's not new. 😀

I would not bother trying to find the post.

Take it as fact that you pay a deposit on both PET and glass in Germany. It is also pair at the till. X for the product and y deposit. The system is in operation for years.

thanks for clearing that up, i'm new here just joined less than a month ago.

Another thing i'd like cleared up, where the pre-feb 1st 2024 RVM's at places like the lies of aldi and lidl and tesco etc, the ones that printed out vouchers to use instore and charged no extra deposit cost on purchases, were they trials or not?

There's so many people here that keeps saying there was no trials, and then others who call them trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Absolutely agree civic amenity sites should be updated, expanded, and free. In the early 2000's near where I lived was a superb site. Lovely red paving and various bins and fenced off areas. It from memory took aluminum cans, steel cans, bottles, cardboard, paper, telephone directories (remember them), engine waste oil, scrap metal, tv's, electrical appliances,batteries, timber, clothing, plastics, and yard clippings. It was a hive of activity, people chatting and particulalry older people loving the interaction while doing their bit. Alas, after two years, charges were introduced for entry so whether you brought1 item or 100 twas the same charge.

Guess what? Numbers attending plummented. I have not lived in the area for many years so do not know the situation today.

My current amenity centre is located approximately 3=4 miles down a L road where in at least 4-5 sections two cars cannot pass, and then down a further lane of about 400 yards with 3 spots to pull over to allow another car to pass. Hardly conducive to try to get people to use it.

ahh man yes! those were the days! i feel the same or simular could have been achieved if re-turn played their cards right instead of being so greedy and fussy.

Anyway out of interest i ask, how much roughly did they charge for entry when introducing it?

Visiting car booth sales used to be free too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Where do you find the time to do the shopping? Or are you one of the many that allegedly buy their shopping online for home delivery and never leave the house otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,155 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's seem rural areas, village shops don't have and online delivery shopping don't accept back, what a not well thought out idea

I think it will force more dumping in defiance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

I call that as made up utter bullsh1t

There are feck all bottles on the shelves and very very few users of the machines at this point.

The machines are dreadfully easy to use and are identical to the machines used in several countries.

You simply have made up rubbish

Well, I contacted my waste collection this morning and my 6 month plan paid in advance two months ago has gone for €160.00 to €185.00..

That did not take to long did it!

Have you agreed to this payment plan beforehand, via a contract? they've just broken the claus of the contract if they have by changing the price and you are legally entitled to quit/leave them without occuring any fees due to this change in price.

maybe ring them up and notify them of this, see if you can bargin them down to €170 lol. might be worth looking int and save a couple of bob if ya dont wanna change bin providers

Paid in advance and price stands-no problem there. I asked the renewal price at the end of the term and they advised at "this point in time" it would be €185.00 but could be higher come renewal time. No use in bargaining as they are the only provider in my area and tried that tact before with no success.

My point being others on here posted increases would be unlikely.

those others were saying that clearly to defend the RVM scheme, and not out of your best interests. Bias and bs basically. can only take them with a grain of salt.

its a good thing you paid in advance, in some cases thank goodness for contracts lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Our civic amenity site is open Thurs afternoon Fri morning,sat morning.

Look, its not rocket science. Take an income stream away from a business ie the aluminum, prices must rise to offset the loss of income. But some of the brainiacs on here can't comprehend that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Any evidence of shops increasing costs over and above the deposit cost? That won't happen I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

Its not plastic bottles and AL. cans that I see as an environmental & litter problem in my area, its washing machines, tyres, rugs, furniture, rusty bikes, etc. Fly tipping in country lanes and bogs is a huge problem across the country. Local property taxes should cover free local dumps where people can bring household items at no cost. Most European country have free local dumps/recycle facilities, which is a service covered bt their property taxes. In Galway, we have to pay to bring our household items to a private run dump. I pay as I have no choice, and lucky I can afford it. But plenty dont want to pay so resort to fly tipping. Which then costs the council to clean it up !

• Advertisement

I must be lucky in that my local civic amenity does accept all electrical and white goods and scrap metal. Tyres should be recycled by the garage you buy them from. As for rugs, furniture etc. you have a good point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement