Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

How long before they announce its a huge success and start putting deposits on glass bottles, cereal boxes, whatever you're having yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'd consider myself a green fanatic but believe there is nothing green about this scheme, it's designed to support guilt-free consumption at current or increasing levels through the front of recycling, skipping past reducing or reusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭jj880

Sensible green policy is always welcome. When I say fanatic I mean those who blindly support stuff like this, try to tell us its more convenient and all about the environment. Maybe I should have said green fantasist.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,001 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

TBF. The Environment Minister at the time when this bill was railroaded through did echo that sentiment.

"What happened today . . . is a practice known as greenwashing. Greenwashing is where a measure is more focused on giving the impression that it is green rather than being a real and substantive measure to improve our environment."

It would have given him "the discretion to introduce a DRS" and "time to carry out the necessary research into a model that may be fit for purpose in Ireland and does not increase costs or have effects on the existing kerbside collection system".

He rejected Green Party analysis presented by leader Eamon Ryan. “The impact could be as low as a 1 per cent increase in the amount of household recycling. The introduction of a DRS may increase plastic bottle recycling rates to 75 per cent (currently it stands at 70 per cent) – and a total plastic recycling rate of 36 per cent (currently at 35 per cent).”

Spending €116 million to increase total plastic packaging recycling rates by 1 per cent while imposing a cost of an extra €1 per lift on a family’s recycling bin “would be reckless”, he said.

In raising questions about the costs of implementing the bill, the minister referred to a 2009 waste management policy review, commissioned by then minister for environment and Green Party leader John Gormley.

The report did not support a scheme because the costs could not “be said to unequivocally justify the benefits”.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,585 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's the only item in scope for DRS that it affects. Well, I forgot PET cider flagons may still exist

• Advertisement

I'm not a moderator on this forum.

When people argue in bad faith, turn to bad science and make claims that they're going to go out of their way to not partake (the "I'm going to black bin / burn everything" ones), or make up entire bonkers conspiracies; it's clear they're angry, not rational

I have never and will never vote for the Green Party. Incompetent reactionaries who are slowly killing me due to encouraging diesel cars and wood burners.

They are not responsible for this coming in, despite angry men claiming so.

They are yeah, it was their bill that made it mandatory.

It was going to come in no matter who was in government, but that doesn't give a bogeyman to be angry at.

• Advertisement

It is the only system which will work to meet the EU directive and pretty much every EU member state is bringing one in at the same time

Even the hardest right wing Tories the UK has ever had are introducing an identical system

pretty much every EU member state

So which states are not bringing it in?

Luxembourg appears to be the only one where it isn't either on a timeline or under legislative proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

"It was going to come in no matter who was in government" thats an assumption or else using inevitability as a defense, but yes the green party made it come sooner.

if you're saying its the EU's fault, maybe ireland should leave the EU? or are you saying something else entirely?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Exactly! it's not actually fixing the problem, it's recognizing the problem and profiting off of it instead.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Spain, Italy, France, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Belgium have not adopted the legislation either.

Now they may or may not in the future, but no decision has been made yet. It's at discussion phase.

That's a fair chunk population wise of the EU.

• mod

can we stop with the name calling lads (eg Very Angry Men etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭jj880

It's a long way from EU directives to the finer details of Re-Turn.

If member states take the p!ss during transposition its left up to citizens to take judicial review here then head for Brussels.

Identical you say. Well we do like to put our own twist on things in this country. Usually ending up with the Irish consumer getting disproportionately humped with inconvenience and/or higher prices. I'll keep an eye on the UK scheme when it comes in just over the border in Derry.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

With all the can and bottles i have bought , 2 cans with Logo's and 1 juice also with Logo.

Bought more cans today and old stock no logo's or money added to receipt.

I will await more items gathered up before i bring them back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think some brands are going to lose out big time with this scheme. We would buy Tropiciana/Innocent orange juice depending on special offers etc but it's probably a no brainer from now on to buy Tropiciana as no deposit and no bringing it back can just pop it in my recycle bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Indeed, my go to stuff when getting garage food on the road, good to know it not included however they are unlighlty polluters

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

If the Tropicana is in plastic, it will have a deposit within months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

No it's tetra pack like milk so will never be included, actually Innocent might be the one to change as one of the few using plastic for juices.

yes it definately gives an advantage to some brands, but also tropicanna at the moment does have a deposit being charged for it in places like mcdonalds. but thats because their one is in a plastic bottle, i'm assuming you meant the cartons of tropicanna instead.

some places are even taking advantage of the deposit thing, to make people psychologically more influnced to pay extra and to purchase. An examle would be x2 2 litres of coke (pre-feb 1st) going for €4, but now since having a return logo post feb 1st, x2 of the same size coke for €4.50+ x2 25c deposit = €5. Some people would rather it come to a clean all round fiver, rather than 4.50 or 4.85. Some people hate getting change, and some places are using the deposit scheme to take advantage of that.

Connolly station shop had price tags indicating they were charging a deposit on old stock, not in scope Coke bottles. Bought Irn Bru old stock instead. Don't think that's the type of behaviour change that's wanted from this though!

some places's are (or were) doing this pre-feb 1st. i asked why and they said the price increases was in preparation of the deposit return scheme. did'nt make sense at the time and it still does'nt as none of the containers i've seen in certain specific places thusfar contain any return logo and don't have a scheme eligible barcode. How much currently is a bottle of coke or club orange in your nearest, idk lets randomly pick, centra?

its possible some places may try and disguise this deposit by upping their normal price of the stock by the deposit amount so that if you get a receipt it doesnt say deposit since the bottles are out-of-scope old stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Coke Zero 8 pack has gone up as was on special 6.60 or 7.20 depending on shop.

Now Centra is 7.75 and my local shop 7.95 and no deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

was told in work collection for the returns would be 3 times a week, now being told it's already been reduced to once a week. assuming this means return at the moment in most of the area is extremely low. apparently according to a few people above the transition period was known about, so the 3 times a week was planned even knowing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So, myself and one of the young lads took a drive to the nearest SuperValu today with a black bag half full of diet coke cans, Lucozade sport bottles, 2 litre coke Zero bottles, a few of those and an assortment of other plastic drinks bottles.

The shop we went to has two machines, one big one, one smaller one. Smaller one inside door of shop, bigger in out the back in an underground car park that I assume accessible 24/7.

Good news, no queues at either. Bad news, know that because one, the smaller one, was out of order.

Head to the bigger one out the back. Attempt to put all of the items in. 16 rejected, a mix of things items, all barcode not recognised errors. 5 items accepted. Roughly 70 cents voucher received.

Some of the items rejected we had paid a deposit on, some I amnt sure as bought in a number of locations by a number of family members.

Went into shop, bought a few bits and put the voucher against the purchase. Worked fine.

Put the rejects back in the bag, took home and put onto the recycle bin.

Not a great experience to be honest and the young lad was least impressed with the chance in process from prior to march first. A lot of questions asked.

So as mentioned earlier there will be a marked reduction in plastic bottle and can purchases in this house but can't control the actions of the others. Id expect the kids will just through the plastics and cans into the recycle bin as they have been taught to do.

• Advertisement

• What kind of absolute shite are you fabricating in your head to believe that consumers largely are happier to pay anywhere from 15-50c more for their product so they don’t have to break a fiver.

Are you gone mad or something? For one thing, most people use cards for small transactions (if not all) and I couldn’t name a single person I know who’d rather spend €5 instead of €4.50.

In fact I’d know more who’d shop in dunnes over SuperValu because of the aforementioned 50c one week or the next.

You are just outright trolling at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement