Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Yes. You return it in the grocery section but the voucher is representative of the cash amount you paid in the form of a deposit.

They are basically applying conditions to how you spend your money in the store. The voucher is not a dunnes stores voucher in the traditional sense as it is directly redeemable for cash equivalent.

The fact you can’t use the voucher in the drapery, but you can use the customer service to cash it in and then spend it is absolutely stupid.

It’s the same thing just a piece of paper! Comparing to shop and save is stupid because I don’t know about anyone else but in my Dunnes you can’t get the €10 vouchers swapped for cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Re-turn do not make a distinction between groceries or any other products.

They refer to having the choice between receiving your refund against "a store-bought purchase" or cash.

If Dunnes Stores operated as two different businesses you could argue it makes sense however as others have observed you can pay for drapery items at grocery tills.

The voucher in your hand is for your own money. It should be acceptable at any till.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

As I said, I accept that we will have some people stockpiling 500 cans... €50.25 is at least 201 and up to 335 returns, impressive I must say to be fair to you

How long did it take you to feed them at the machine out of interest

• Use the cab?

Ah here are you even listening to yourself. How many crates of cans and bottles do you think the typical Tesco delivery driver is going to squeeze in the cab with them?

And that’s before you are asking Tesco to assume liability for valeting the vans when inevitably a can leaks soda or beer in the front seats.

Like it’s just unbelievable that instead of acknowledging the total farce in front of you instead it’s deflection and excuses for everything.

Instead of targeting the perpetrators of mismanaged recycling by way of refusing to empty the bin or fines from the bin company or council we’ve just decided the best approach is make everyone’s life harder.

Elderly people, those with lack of mobility or transport have once again been brushed aside and forgotten about.

Among the eye watering amount of money no doubt spent on this schemes planning I cannot believe no money was dedicated especially to ensuring these groups would not be left stuck.

I mean they couldn’t even manage to make them wheelchair friendly…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

But you can check out drapery items with your grocery shopping.

Which raises the question, if you rock up to the grocery checkout with socks, which are sold in the grocery section, will they refuse to credit the RVM receipt.

Another conundrum 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Most people I know store garbage in their house in the bin until it is full enough to put into their waste bin that is collected by whoever they have a contact to collect it with. Unless of course you bring out your garbage out to the waste bin daily in nearly empty or really small bags.

They also have a bin for recycling in their house, the contents of which wouldn't be put into the green bin until it is ful, as who wants to be nipping out on a cold wet winters night to put stuff into the green bin.

Don't use drink cans, and could see that as being a pain if you do but then they would be sitting in the bin until you empty them anyway.

Bottles that you close the cap on aren't unhygienic, if that was the case the half empty bottle of spirits sitting on a shelf would be, and most people would be dying all ready from having the mineral bottles and cans sitting them in their bin.

As for the bin man spotting you putting recycling into the waste bin and either not accepting it or issuing a fine, isn't really going to work as any time I've seen them collet the bins they don't open them to check the contents. Also if you are living like I do on a lane they won't drive up because it would add ten minutes to their route and you have to bring the bin down to where the lane meets a larger road the night before they collect, then they can't say if you or someone else placed it in the bin.

Also I'm not championing the scheme as it won't actually be one that I use on a regular basis, just highlighting the usual moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Many many people did not do as you did in recycling bottles or cans, there was definitely a need for the scheme to bring these people in line

Yes the 15/25c you lose if you recycle it in your wheelie bin must be a stinger, perhaps a gofundme to help you out might be on the cards?

Your not storing rubbish, you're storing recycling until your next trip to a shop and can get cash for it, not limited to a voucher

You can return items bought on Tesco online to any shop in the scheme so you are mistaken with your last whinge as well

Steady on there I'm not responsible for the DRS rollout.

I'm just interested in solutions to the problems raised by other posters.

The cabs of those vans usually carry two passengers as well as the driver. If the cans and bottles were in a sealed bag perhaps it could work.

Maybe not for a large number of returns but could suit pensioners who get a weekly visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Well Tesco should make sure their machines are working if they don't want their staff bothered by customers asserting their rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

As Ezeoul said, it was a problem that didn't need fixing. We have been surpassing the target for many years. I said previously, that the Repak system will be considered a success, if we hit a target of above 60% BUT, we already were achieving that target, So we could switch off all the RVM machines right now, and it could still be hailed as a success.

Most people acknowledge that we need to change certain behaviours in the name of the environment, but country wide schemes like this that affect peoples habits with no discernable improvement is what really annoys people.

• Advertisement

Well before my time but there used to be money given to people who returned glass bottles including milk bottles and what you did with the money was your business.

A neighbour of mine is from Scotland and he and his mates used to go around nicking empties for pocket money. Didn't work for milk bottles however according to them as the milk man would know how many bottles a family would have.

This is the law on the matter: https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/599/made/en/print

They are in breach of it by not providing the facility as agreed between them and re-turn. There's no get out of jail free if your machine is broken.

You can return items bought on Tesco online to any shop in the scheme so you are mistaken with your last whinge as well

He is not mistaken with his last "whinge", you just chose to misunderstand the point he was making. If you get your groceries delivered and don't go to the supermarket, how do you get your deposit back?

Nobody can guarantee that any machine will work all the time.

It's a simple fact that machines break down.

The agreement is that they provide the RVM.

As for the machine not working, yep it's a pain if that happens same as any time a machine doesn't work.

As for actually getting there and getting the voucher you can use it at the time when paying by card, same as you would with any other voucher as part payment.

Don't use online grocery shopping as the few times I did was delivered stuff that was nearly out of date.

I have gone and bought shopping for my dad and had it delivered and if doing so again would use a voucher as part payment if I had one.

The online home delivery system should already be sorted by the retailers it isn't like they weren't aware this scheme was coming.

Of course they break down. But the retailer should be able to deal with it by providing an alternative. If they never fixed them they couldn't say they're meeting their obligations by pointing at a bunch of perpetually broken machines.

Ive been using home delivery for over 10 years. You can not use your voucher towards your online delivery.

Easier said than done.

Staffing would be a problem and you'd need a separate area to check the stuff in.

I agree that in the event of the retailer leaving the machines out of order perpetually they would be in breach of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

it took about 8-10 minutes i think, but i had someone helping so without them i rekkon woulda took much longer. i offered them a fiver for their help but they didnt want it.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

From Aldi's website:

Your sarcasm is merely a deflection in order to dismiss the very valid issues raised on this thead in a poor attempt to defend what is an ill-thought out and complicated mess of a scheme.

I'm glad for you though, if you have so little going on in your life that you have plenty of time to waste visiting RVM machines and queuing in supermarkets every couple of days.

I do not have time to do that. I have an actual life.

• Advertisement

So you can't use your real rewards weekly voucher that can be used for online shopping if you choose home delivery?

Unless you have absolutely no other grocery retailers that deliver to where you live why would you use a business that denies you a discount offered to anyone using their physical or online stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If I gather 1 million 0.25 cent cans/bottles where do I collect my 250,000 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭geographica

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭jos22

Real rewards voucher can be used online. the voucher from the DRS machines can only be used in store,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭beachhead

The producers of the waste do not pay what they should. It's the retailer and customers who get stung

May well be the case, but in the situation I mentioned the the shopping was done in store and they will then deliver. But according to the OP, vouchers of any kind can't be used if you do so based on their 10 years using the home delivery option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭beachhead

Doubt it about Tesco or any shop. Lidl never did when they had their machines available for empties 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭SteM

"In a manner agreed between the retailer and the approved body".

If the manner agreed is automatic and the automatic machine is temporarily broken where in law does it state they have to accept manual returns instead?

Post edited by SteM on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

if can's, you can collect roughly around €15,384 from scrap yards scrap metal merchants. Plastic bottles are essentially useless to the public in terms of a cash value, but if u know a charity that collects them you might be able to cut a deal with them.

if 1 million of these cans/bottle are scheme eligible, then you can deposit like anywhere between 200-500 of them at a variety of different RVM's and places, like what i do. or spread it out over a longer period depositing just 50-100 at the same rvm's each day.

The cash you collect from the cashiers when handing in the printed out vouchers that came from the same place, hoping all goes well that is.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement