Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Probably 🙂

Sounds like a faulty machine.

Did you ever pass a car broken down at the side of the road ?

• loads of times.

mind you I never needed the car to return cans so i could have money I spent back. So id suggest that’s a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jj880

Scheme has major issues. Your experience is not uncommon.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a meltdown + smashed RVM before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

By the end of the year?

You are more optimistic than I am. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

I've used it one. 9 beer cans and 3 orange juice bottles. No issues.

No it's a machine thing not a fruity thing 🙂

Cars, washing machines, dishwashers, central heating boilers etc.

Great when they are working pretty useless when not.

Usually fixed by someone who knows what's wrong with them.

So I still reckon the poster's problem was a faulty machine rather than a plot to rob recyclables.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes but oh fanatic, the wonderful thing about the bins we've all been using for years is that they are wonderful examples of Green low tech that can be used again and again and again and again and again and again. Maybe eventually a hinge gets strained or a wheel gets dodgy but on the whole they are a Green solution. No batteries, no other moving parts, work year in and year out.

Whereas these machine you champion are the complete opposite as you will no doubt readily agree. They are prime examples of the new Green High Tech religion that Ryan and the modern Greens champion at every turn. This Green Revolution with a whole new sector of Green Industry where Ireland will shine and we'll get Green Rich.

Just give us back our bins & deposits and we'll just shut up and go back to normal recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jj880

Was thinking in Winter some poor fecker loaded up with containers freezing their ass off in the dark getting half rejected or can't find a working RVM. You could well be correct though once included products and queues ramp up after June 1st.

🤣 First to get a screamer in the RVM gets everyone's haribo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I can't see a large pub collecting bottles/cans to bring to a machine

I suppose you mean fantastic in an ironic sense rather than you are calling me a fanatic 🙂

Of course, as I said early on in this and the other thread , it is more inconvenient to take stuff back to an RVM than put it in a bin outside the back door.

As you say the bin is low tech and we agree that machines break down.

The difference between you and me is that I decided to concentrate on working the new system and you decided to campaign against it.

You appear to see it as part of some big green conspiracy.

I set out from the start to do my best not to lose any deposits. Prepared to suck up any bin charge increase and wrote off any extra time involved.

Rather than championing the DRS system I decided to make the best of it.

My approach suits me and I assume you feel you are doing the right thing too.

Time will tell and I could be wrong but I can't see DRS being scrapped and going back to the old system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

This is going to be far more serious in terms of market exits than DRS. If for no other reason that this will also incorporate glass products too. Much easier to do an Irish label for beer than it would be for whisky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Did you bother to go inside for manual returns as the machine was not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

The last 4 days for me have been a total nightmare with this scheme. 3 places in a row machines not working all down, and then 1 place demanding me to spend the money in store and insisting they do not give any cash back exchange option for the deposit voucher when clearly even their own website states they do.

Does anyone know how long it takes re-turn to respond to emails? as it's been just over 3 days now since i've reached out to them.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I reckon their business model may be similiar to that of a high street bookie. If you "win" too much or appear to be cheating the system they'll just ban you from their premises.

In this case, they've obviously tracked your past few trips to the machines and captured your image. You've cleaned them out and they've flagged your face on the machine camera technology to "not serve" you. 😁

I amn't in the least bit surprised that their response to emails is slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

I didn't! There was no shop assistant in the immediate vicinity (RVM machine was in car park). I'm not the sort to rock up to the checkouts or customer services with my bag of empty bottles/cans looking for a couple of Euro refund. Perhaps I should have but I don't want to be reduced to that level just yet.

i would like to believe that's true, but this place i've only ever been to just 1 other time, and all i've ever redeemed there was €1.50 and then €3, 2 weeks later. They were willing to serve me, they were just lying about the re-turn policy in hopes i'd give in and spend the money in their store. they were being money grabbers basically. Some workers seem to know about the scheme and some don't, i'm just suprised that a person with senior manager written on their nametag would insist on spending the money in-store and claiming the return scheme does'nt give people cash for deposit vouchers, which is entirely untrue.

i went back like 5 hours later when the staff changed and got the money no problems. but its really more about the principal.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

And the costs of repairing or replacing machines will be given to the taxpayers indirectly…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Well it might be the norm in the future as wanting back what you paid on them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

I had a ten minute response time concerning a sign stating cash refunds only at certain times. Mind you that was on 01/03 and as of yesterday sign is still up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Were they not going to recycling centre in recycling bin in one vehicle(not millions of separate vehicle's burning lots of the green warriors you know that old nemesis called carbon)Or was all that a gimmick too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'd imagine they just return them when they get a new order?

Here in Germany every couple of months I order a couple of crates of coke and a crate of beer. When the new ones arrive the old ones are taken away. I'd imagine that bars probably have a similar system. At least for glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Most large pubs use the pub glass bottles instead of bottles / cans.

Venues where soft drinks sold in plastic bottles would be awkward one.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭SteM

I was wondering about LOI games. At Shamrock Rovers they open the plastic bottle, pour it into a plastic cup and keep the bottle - the worst of both worlds from an environmental point of view. They must be left with hundreds at the end of every game, I wonder what they'll do with them.

Also had forgot to add that none of the money they hand out to honor the drs vouchers for cash exchange comes out of their pocket, re-turn reimburse them. Similar to what the national lottery do when people cash in scratch card winnings for cash, the store is'nt out of pocket because you decided to cash in a scratch card for the winnings, they get reimbursed for anything they give you out of the till.

Either way they should be happy i'm recycling as i'm making them money from each item i recycle via their rvm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

So we have an increase in bin charges which may well lead to more illegal dumping, all the extra carbon from the many new car journeys to try to recycle, a whole new extra fleet of vehicles collecting from rvm sites, potentially millions upon millions of non recyclable receipts being issued out of rvms which themselves are using electricity , people getting extra receipts from stores to prove they paid deposit when a machine refuses to refund, an increase in plastic bag use for storing and moving recycling around the place and a generally much poorer perception of recycling policies among the public.

Why do the government hate the environment so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Bought a 4 pack of Guinness cans in Dunnes at the weekend. Price was adjusted at the till to allow for the recycling charge, 15c a can. Grand. Wife brought the empty cans back with other items, of course the cans were rejected as they didn't have the label on the individual can. An absolute scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

So, first go at one of the machines. One can into machine at a Cenrta shop. Voucher out, no problem.

Except, when I tried to put it towards my lunch, I was told that there was a problem with the line been the shop and Musgraves head office. Not a shop I pass very often, so voucher gone in the bin.

Absolute farce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement