Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,583 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They should have cashed it out and waited for the data link to come back up.

The bulk of issues at this stage are incompetent retailers or incompetent producers/wholesalers, with possibly a little bit of scammy/fraudulent retailers on top (charging for stuff they never paid a deposit on to begin with)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Genghis

Had a similar experience this weekend in Dunnes. Background: I am trying to avoid this scheme, i.e never pay deposit, never claim one back.

I have mostly have removed plastic and aluminium containers from our house but there are a few items that can't be substituted, I plan to source these in bulk whenever I am in NI. One of these is MiWadi.

In Dunnes this weekend we popped 4 bottles of own brand orange cordial in the trolley-specifically chosen as all MiWadi bottles were labelled with the deposit price label, this brand was not. We didn't need 4, we bought 4 thinking it was old stock.

Got to till and we end up being charged the deposit anyway, contrary to shelf label. There was also an issue with a voucher we were paying with, so we took it on the chin, but really I should have returned them.

The very definition of a first world problem, but very annoying all the same. I will make that NI trip sooner than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's almost incredible that a shop assistant would refuse to knock 15c off a lunch sale because "the computer says no".

But that's where we have arrived and technology overrules common sense.

In other news Dunnes checkouts are still having trouble reading the barcode on RVM receipts.

Tough on the checkout operators having to manually enter the code with a restive queue waiting.

Dunnes owe you 60c.

They shouldn't charge the deposit on non refundable stock.

If you have the receipt you could try customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Realistically if you work in Dunnes or any big store like that you simply don't have the ability or autonomy to adjust prices like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've used the machines in a few places now, the only issue I've encountered so far was Tesco in Ballincollig in Cork, as their machines were all full so I couldn't use. They were being emptied after I had finished the shopping but didn't bother going back. I hung onto bottles and exchanged later.

The only other issue really is you really notice your intake of drinks when putting them back. Makes you think maybe you should cut back on the fizzies... 🙃

My fault for putting two separate comments in one post.

The issue with the line being down to HQ was in a Centra and as L1011 said could have easily been sorted by knocking off the 15c and redeeming the voucher when the line came back.

The Dunnes problem is with the barcode on the RVM receipt not being readable so the assistant has to enter it manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

The whole system is a totally unnecessary, energy expensive, waste producing, price hiking, farce.

We've been taken for absolute mugs, lads. Mugs.

Post edited by Tin Foil Hat on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭beachhead

Due to the floor area of the shop they have an exemption meaning no machine no obligation to accept returns.The rules of the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jj880

No matter what way you cut it this feels like those who were doing their bit for the environment being punished for those who never bothered their holes.

There needs to be a big rethink on this scheme.

The more it continues as is the more apathetic I get toward recycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The ones doing their bit for the environment are being punished.

Thats exactly what it is, and I do feel that apathy for the environment growing a bit also.

Ive been using a keep cup for years, a reusable water bottle when out and about for years, sorting my recycleables. When the RVM rejected my cans during my last and it is my last, visit, I felt like proudly fecking my cans straight into the public black bin. I'd actually leave the cans next to the RVM but I despise littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

I think a lot of the issues will be ironed out once all cans and bottles are return friendly. At the moment I agree, it can be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

This is a USA based report but valid nonetheless. Interesting that not only do these receipts use paper unnecessarily, but also contain toxins dangerous to human health! And now we're all going to be handling them a lot more often. (i wont because they can shove their scam up their hoops)

So who exactly took part in the public consultation? So far it would seem it didnt include the disabled, the house bound, those who shop online, those who have no transport, any environmentalists, those who live rural, those who cant afford the new charges, or indeed anybody from the green party, as surely this type of environmental impact would have been noted by them and something else put in place. Wouldn't it???

Or is it a case of just shut your mouth and give us your money?

Post edited by Archeron on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jj880

They'll consult the face off ye not a bother.

Looks like they consulted you for the consulting terms of reference:

shut your mouth and give us your money

• To be honest, from what I’ve heard of working with centra franchises, if they’d done that they might as well hand in their notice.

Ridiculous I know but my understanding is the centra and SuperValu franchises are not ran by people you’d want to work for.

• oh well make sure never to touch a book again whatever you do..

cmon man paper is toxic to us now? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

always happens me in centra's, i think they find it harder to take money off of your total order with the return voucher, more than it is giving cash for the voucher. i've only been able to get money off of a purchase like 1 out of 8 times in centra. Rest of the time they get stroppy, or else insist on doing the return voucher thing in a separate transaction for cash and then say i can buy the stuff with that. But if one does'nt mentioned the deposit voucher thingy until after everything is already rang up and they're asking for the total, it becomes a nightmare.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,583 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Centra and SuperValu stores have huge ownership bases - most Centra operators have one single store. Conditions for staff are going to be hugely variant there.

Supervalu has a few mega franchises with 5+ shops (Kavanaghs have 12, Pettits 6, there's definitely others) and a block of shops directly run by Musgrave, most of which are formerly Superquinn; but plenty of people with just one store too

This is why they are so exceptionally variable. In my experience, a lot of the one store crowds are really not capable of running a full supermarket and that's why there's so many pricing issues (see decades of threads about this on the Consumer Issues forum) and now issues with RVMs, refunds etc.

An awful lot of both seem to use the same self checkout system, which I've had issues with accepting vouchers already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Because it's for the environment or your health or other excuses for these devious endeavors of late by out so called betters. Never money for the connected or business groups. Oh no never. Commodification my man.

• yeah to be honest the overarching point for me here is why would you risk the possibility of hardship from management?

Honestly if you’re working the checkouts in a centra and the vouchers systems down would you be taking the voucher behind the til and giving cash out to scan them in later or would you be asking the customer to come back next time?

I stand aghast at the idea a checkout clerk should chance potentially getting hardship from a manger for it. For me it raises a concern from the shops POV that the voucher might have been previously redeemed at a self checkout or for some reason handed back or used elsewhere (if possible not sure) or perhaps just fake.

I wouldn’t chance my job over it anyway. Maybe it’s just me but I generally do whatever is possible to not draw attention to myself from mangers needlessly. That said I don’t work in front facing customer role as a chef however when I did in my last job (part of it was occasionally working outside in a food truck the baby brother to the restaurant), if I was met with a situation that I didn’t feel was my place to make a call I asked the head chef or manager.

All it takes is one jumped up manager on a bad day to make life miserable over it. what I’m saying basically is it’s easy to say “they should have done this”, but it’s 15c you stand to lose (which you don’t just keep the voucher they don’t expire), they might lose their job.

I’ve seen lads sacked for less in these types of jobs. Chap got sacked one time for washing the stairs and making them too wet and therefore dangerous.

Swear to god.

• Advertisement

I take on board all you say about store management etc.

But the Re-turn scheme just won't work if the RVMs are putting out vouchers that can't be cashed or used against purchases immediately.

The shops and Re-turn need to come up with a workaround that guarantees redemption on the spot.

This is especially important for people on the move for whom calling back later is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All pubs use lots and lots of plastic bottles with various juices that are diluted in drinks, and a LOT or red bull cans. The bottles would be plastic MiWadi and other brands of drinks that one can dilute.

I know one pub, they seems to be bagging the returnable bottles, not the cans yet, as they have no logo on them yet, have yet to see a Red Bull can with a logo, as this pub throws away hundreds of cans weekly.

If it was a big user of DRS containers would it be feasible to register as a manual return outlet and have them collected by the Re-turn truck ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I meant in terms of whats given out to customers it is rare to get a can of coke etc. They dont give the miwadi, cordial or large dash mixer bottles out to the customers though. Should make it easier for them to hold onto.

Red bull cans, either they will switch to glass or pour can into glasses Id expect.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• I don’t disagree but min wage checkout staff shouldn’t be held responsible for any lack thereof.

Agreed it's up to management and Re-turn to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭geographica

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

More likely the cost of Red Bull has just gone up by 15c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Yesterday I brought a load of cans and bottles was going grand this I put some bottles in that had the logo but the machine didn't accept them. The bottles were bought at a different store but I thought all bottles were accepted regardless of where you bought them? Went to the store where I bought the bottles to use their machine to see if it worked but as usual both machines were out of order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Most were soft drink cans so she was probably disgusted!

Feeding them into the machine is really quite satisfying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement