Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Shouldnt matter. Machines are supposed to and should accept products from other stores.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

it is. But nowadays, could you expect anything more in this fücking backwards kip of a place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Floppybits

One thing I am not doing anymore is shopping around. Before the deposit return scheme came in I would check to see which supermarket has the cheaper drinks and would usually go there to get them, now I can't be arsed, I just bring the cans and bottles back and use the voucher in that store. The cash part of it is useless unless you are stuck for a bit of cash. It would be better if the money can be put in your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Yep and the machine has accepted bottles that I would have bought when I was out and about but for some reason these bottles were not accepted. The machine actually put up a message to say the bottles are not accepted at that store. Now whether it is the shape of the bottle or whatever but it wasn't having them even with the return logo. Even says on the cap that the bottle is connected for recycling.

• Many countries have been doing this sort of thing for decades and yet Ireland STILL cannot implement the thing in a way that makes a lick of sense.

Decades of data at our disposable and we end up with something akin to a primary school class project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Thewitheredowl

Used this for the first time the other night

Had 10 x 2L bottles, went in to the shop to see if the machines were working. 1 working and 1 not working. Went back to the car, got the bottles. Got 3 of them into the working machine, just as it was finishing shredding the 3rd bottle the machine jammed and red warning screen came on for machine unavailable. No way of getting receipt for what I'd put in. €0.75 gone. Walked around the shop then to buy what I went in for with a bag full of 7 empty 2L bottles like a plonker

Went to another shop on the way home to get rid of the remaining bottles. Took 7 of them, paid me for 6.

Waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Iirc someone got that msg earlier and theory is that error message incorrect from a German spec'd machine - their stores only take back own products.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,320 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was up in NIRL during the week, Sainsburys are selling Carling 18x440ml for £12/€14.10, the cans oddly all have the Re-Turn logo on them so can be 'officially' accepted down here (the same barcode on existing cans was working already). Rather interesting discount as you would have to pay €2.70 more down here for the deposit but will pay nothing up there and still get €2.70 back for them here, in theory a €5.40 saving on top of what it would cost here if such deal was available.

15 cans here is €21+€2.25 deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭beachhead

It just means the Quango has to get more directors with increased pay.Problems solved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jj880

You just reminded me of Sainsbury's doing a 25% off 6 bottles of wine offer. Every 3 months they also used to send out a code for £18 off a total order of £60 or more. Both offers stackable. Carpark collection too. Very handy. 18 bottles of Chardonnay and pino for under £3 per bottle. Roughy 100 euro saving compared to Donegal. I know glass isn't in scope but the price rises in general on top of this scheme (unrelated of course 🙄) are really making me want to head into NI for everything I can now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What about the issue of the base price of these items going up by 10 percent in some cases, the issue of recycle bin costs going up and the myriad of other issues mentioned less than ten posts back from your own?

You reckon the prices of certain drinks will reduce back to pre return days or bin charges will drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

I've a similar issue with Guinness Nitrosurge and Lidl, I went into Lidl earlier to get a couple of things and to return 12 empties that I was charged a deposit on and the machine says they are not recognised. I then end up having to walk around Lidl with 12 empty cans in a bag and when I ask the girl at the till, she doesn't know what to do.

Also, the info@re-turn.ie address on the website doesn't appear to work.

What a pain all this is and where is all the money going to? It's only €3 in my case so not the end of the world but I'm sure it's happening everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

Only €3 in your case and multiply that by mmm few hundred instances per day-somebody's on to a winner-It ain't the Consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,583 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Add "greedy" to "incompetent" producers.

My bins haven't gone up - and most of the price increases given are on per-lift which people will now often do less anyway so it will even out for them; and basically all the other issues here fall in to the already mentioned categories; or are user error - people bringing back stuff that was never in scope and never had a deposit paid for it (bringing it back when it was never in scope but you were charged for it is a retailer error.

There's a few people on this thread that are actively wishing for this to fail and will amplify anything and everything in to it being huge, systemic issues. Their weird reality is not actual reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

That is fine if you are in an area with competition. I have the option of ONE waste collecting company. Collection every fortnight, don't put out a bin or bins, matters not. You pay for bin collection over a time period regardless whether you do not put out bins on a given collection day. And, as I have posted before my monopoly waste collection has increased prices since December.

Greedy and incompetent producers (Surely this in itself is the biggest worry?)- Check.

Bin prices going up as a result of this scheme - Check. (Myself and others have been impacted by this already, don't worry, its coming)

People bringing back stuff they were charged a deposit on but can't claim back the deposit - Check.

Machines out of order - Check.

Net environmental damage as a result of the scheme - check.

Consumer annoyance at best, anger at worst - check.

Multiple issues with the scheme since inception - check (People who shop on line, the elderly, those who cannot travel easily, northern ireland issues, potential for producers not providing certain products into Ireland - none of these issues by the way have any plan in place for resolution)

If they are not systematic issues with the scheme, I don't know what are/is?

I am not "wishing" for the scheme to fail, as it's been doomed to fail from the start (You only need to look at this and other threads) but we'll be told that all is good in the world and sure lookit, tis only a few greedy and incompetent producers the issues is with.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,583 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Equivalent systems have not failed anywhere else and it isn't going to fail here.

I wasn't including you in the people wishing for its downfall - those are getting every more desperate and posting ever more delusional statements about how it'll fail now that it's in place and working. But it won't.

And if you think that overstickering a Re-Turn logo is going to stop certain thing being imported, wait til you see the cancer warnings that the government are going to require on all beer/wine/spirits, including that in glass bottles. That absolutely will cause companies to refuse to allow their products to be sold here even if a distributor was willing to oversticker.

Surely that all depends on your definition of failure and what is being measured and indeed who looks bad if and when things fail.

I believe in one country PET use has increased significantly since the scheme started there. I am not clued in enough to know the downsides elsewhere to be honest.

We aren't moving from a Zero recycling economy to one that needs something like this. We have some very well defined and followed methods of recycling down the years and really just needed to be tweaked. I am firm on that but because of successive government ineptitude AND the hands off approach of LA's we somehow "need" this over complex and environmentally unfriendly scheme......

What you've done with this is pi$$ed off those that have followed the rules for years. You'd have to ask, do you think that those that didn't follow the rules in the past, will suddenly decide to do so now, because that is what it will boil down to.

I suppose we are talking about return here, not other labelling that is coming down the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭nachouser

I suppose it depends on the meaning of what the scheme is meant to achieve. I would imagine most people who were diligently recycling via their bin for years are now thinking about how best to reduce their purchases of in-scope bottles / cans. I guess if that's the goal then it's probably a winning scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, that seems likely to be a result. And also likely why we may see both the drinks manufacturers, distributors and retailers... quietly going about torpedoing the scheme in due course. Even early days we have heard some retailers trying to back out and stating that really the LAs should be siting and maintaining these machines/ system.

There's nothing wrong at all with the new scheme as a litter management system but it was criminal not to integrate the existing system and piss off the majority.

Indeed. But its not the stated goal of the scheme - that would just be a beneficial side effect - but it something that could have been achieved without this environmentally unfriendly scheme with no changes to existing infrastructure.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Went to tesco earlier dropped in a few items. 1 can had a dinge on the barcode but still went through. So far went to use the return bins 3 times and no rejects so far. Then again only have taken back 1.35 worth to date small drink bottles and 2 cans.Can't complain so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭nachouser

Oh, I know, the whole thing is a mess. People who don't recycle will continue to not recycle because they don't care. Pages and pages ago I said it was the new electronic voting machines. But sure, re-turn will make a lot of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I like how people assume that even though these schemes work all over Europe, it'll fail here. Irish exceptionalism at its best.

There's a lot of things that work all over Europe, that won't here.

Driving on the right for example.

Half joking.

Joking aside, would you always make the assumption, without question or review, that if something works somewere else, it will work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There should be dedicated manual return places, where that's their only job, to take returns, should be at recycling centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People will just give up making the effort to use them..

all very well that chancer Ryan telling citizens what they should be doing for the environment but when we look at him, what he should be doing, he has overseen a situation whereby very unreliable machinery has been green lighted by him and his mob, and they don’t work so well…..

A right shïtshow, but is anyone surprised considering this is……Eamonn Ryan… ?

another thing, how many people make extra trips in the car to the local machine because they don’t want the extra hassle on shopping day etc… you’ve all your empty bags to take with you into the shops so you won’t want or be able to be taking bags of recyclables too.

So ultimately extra car journeys in many cases….

Also older or people and or people with medical conditions / disabilities who don’t drive….. they are getting charged unnecessarily…..it’s all a bit of a fûcking fiasco. Arrogance in action….they are not going to want or in many cases be able to safely or without great difficulty and or risk to participate in the scheme … nice to expect some person with a nerve disorder to walk to their supermarket on a frame with bags of bottles and cans hanging off the thing, nice one Eamonn. Maybe they should taxi it Eamonn… ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Unfortunately this is one of the things that would have been implemented sooner or later by whoever was in government because it's an EU directive, but it's being used as another stick to beat the green party with.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement