Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre installed on our street with OpenEir DP boxes every 25m but no one can get fibre???!

Options
  • 04-10-2023 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

So I've been with Sky receiving part fibre to our home with maximum speeds of 80MB. I've tried getting Virgins part fibre because it can deliver up to 1GB but have been told multiple times that my house is the only one on the street unable to receive it as we were missed out.

When having an OpenEir engineer out to fix connection issues with my Sky broadband, he pointed out that there are DP boxes lining our whole street and we should be able to access full fibre. He said there was nothing he could do but recommended checking with neighbors and maybe using their Eircode when ordering.

Checked with the neighbors and they all have Virgin, none have the full fibre and when calling OpenEir or Vodafone, they both state that it's not available in our area, even though they have installed the lines and boxes on our road?!!

Has anyone experienced this before or could offer any advice on how to try and get to someone in OpenEir to activate these boxes and update their systems? Seems like a black hole with call centre just saying that if it doesn't show on the system, there's nothing they can do about it.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Thanatus

So, not really helpful but just want to say, OpenEir fiber rollout seem to be managed by a cat (as they do whatever they want to). It would not surprise me if the drop points are ready to go live but OpenEir have forgotten about them. They did an install in my area a few months back where there are poles left without drop points but with fiber and ducting waiting. Hell there are even drop points left sitting at the bottom of poles wired up and live but someone forgot to mount on poles.

The only thing that can really be done it wait really and hope they decide to register the area as live. You could maybe reach out to a broadband provider and see if they have a date from OpenEir for the service to go live. They usually get given the date about a month or so before they go live.

Hope this is still relevant, if not then hope that OpenEir sorted themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭_ptashek_

Yep, I have. We've had the fibre infra in my estate for close to a year before my, and my neighbours houses were marked as eligible to get the service. Part of the reason is that the fibre got done as far as the termination boxes, but the last bit - termination box to the kerb from where it's pulled to the house - wasn't. And then about a month or so ago, a crew showed up, splicing fibre in manholes along the houses all day. A week later we've gone from "you can only get 100Mbps DSL" to "how about some 2Gbps fibre". All you can do is patience, and nagging your provider for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Were the dps recently installed do you know? It’s take a while for dp to be activated can be a a couple of months.

Advertisement