Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil tank

• 04-10-2023 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭

The oil tank in the back garden is about 30 years old I'd say,

Iv noticed the top starting to look a bit eroded , is it ok to leave it like that,?

Is there anything I can do to save it, don't want the hassle of replacing it this side of the new year

Sorry the pictures are side ways

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Would I be ok using some Krsut on it and putting some flashband over it just to be safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pictures aren't great but it looks like minimal surface rust. Use rust treatment and paint it over. I wouldn't bother covering it tbh it will only hide if more rust comes back.

Your primary concern should be lower rust. And around fittings. That's the danger areas.

Ye its very minimal at this stage , with a very very slight sag ,

The only rust is the 2 patch at the top of the tank

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Is the bottom not rusted?

Nearly all those thanks on my patch have rusted out by now. The only few surviving are and alway have been indoors.

There should be comments about it on your annual boiler service reports.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Sorry i couldn't rotate the pictures for some reason , they should be rotated to the right

So the two patches are the top of the tank,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

What does your insurance company say about oil tanks, their longevity as far as coverage goes?

Thirty years is a long time to be sitting outdoors. I had a tank once, inside, that started leaking. My solution was to get rid of it, the furnace and put in a new electric boiler which saved a lot of space in that basement room. Electricity is a lot cheaper here, sonit was worthwhile.

The last thing you want is for a major spill onto your property.

Advertisement