Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under shelf light, no plug

• 04-10-2023 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

I recently bought this light but there's no plug supplied.

Do I just need to buy an ordinary 3 point plug and connect not worrying that there's no earth or do I need to get some other type of plug.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

Yes. That’d do it. Try fitting a 3amp fuse in it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Thanks but why go with a 3 amp fuse rather than the 13 amp fuse that comes comes with the plug? Calculations included would be helpful

• Because the fuse should be rated to be closer to the expected load that you're connecting to the plug. For safety, you're' aiming to use lower rated (more sensitive) fuses on lower wattage appliances, so they will blow at a lower overload level.

Anything below about 650 Watts on a 220-230V supply should be on a 3amp fuse.

Anything above 650 Watts should be on a 13amp fuse. (They say 700W in the UK but our voltages are a tad lower and more continental style 220-230V rather than 230-240V)

They've simplified fuses to just 3amp or 13amp.

There are 5amp and 10amp fuses, but they're rarely used anymore.

That lamp is LED so probably draws at less than 20 watts. 3amps is way more than sufficient.

Also there is only one type of plug used in Ireland, which has 3 pins. If there's no earth required the earth pin is still present but unused.

Advertisement