Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 520D coolant

• 04-10-2023 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got the coolant light warning on my 2012 520D today, called into a parts shop and they sold me this:

https://www.clarkesofcavan.ie/product/antifreeze-4.5lit-blue (it wasn't Clarkes, but it was this coolant)

They said this was perfect for my 5 series and it didn't need to be mixed with water, just put it straight in.

But now that I'm home and looking stuff up online and google is saying it does need to be mixed with water and it the coolant should be flushed before use.

What's the advice from the experts here?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

What does the label say?

Does it mention "pre-diluted" or whether it requires mixing in a particular ratio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭shnaek

It doesn't mention anything, other than concentration protection

Get a pre-diluted anti-freeze / coolant.

There are loads of other brands out there that provide you with the basic information.

This is probably good for a tractor under certain circumstances.

Even Halfords or Woodies provide decent options.

No need to drain. If the warning message has come on then first priority is to top up rather than drain and refill.

Would not use it on my 320D.

Thanks, Wandererz. The funny thing is I specifically went to a parts place thinking it would be better than Woodies and when he said I didn't need to dilute it alarm bells were ringing. But like you said the warning message was up and it took about a litre of that coolant. I won't put any more in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭mk7r

The coolant will be fine, what you need to worry about is where is it going?

The coolant should never need to be topped up so it must be leaking from somewhere.

• Advertisement

Advertisement