Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the present FF/FG/GP government the worst in the history of the state?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

No most people wouldn't know the as cows. Really if you don't understand the difference then it would suggest you are not really an expert on farming as that is a basic

Normally you find the same people are only interested in farming as it is the latest in a long line of excellent ideas from people in regards to CO2. As I said if they kill loads of cattle and we are still no better off, what do we do then? should we maybe start to look at the bigger picture?

Problem is at that stage farming will probably be decimated.

A lot of people talking about Co2 and environment are really in panic mode. Best description. Ask them to think past the current great idea and it falls apart very quickly.

The bigger issue is the size of cars, im in a car park in Dublin here, for every 6 vehicles, 1 is a car and rest are SUV/crossover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thats a great deflection, head in the sand response. :)

But we will be better off as the emissions will reduce.

Other sectors have to do their bit of course, but agri is the sector with the most emissions so it has to do its fair share of reductions.

Thats all thats being asked really. Same for other industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭downtheroad

What calibre government do people expect to have in reality? I can't understand why anybody would consider becoming a TD these days, to have journalists trawling through your history looking for a dodgy photo they can fill an article with for easy clicks, or have scumbag protestors outside your family home, or be subjected to constant abuse on social media from keyboard warriors.

The money isn't that good, nor enough to attract the best of the best. Instead we get teachers, college dropouts and Violet Anne Wynne.

If you think this government is bad, I can't wait to see what people think of any cabinet formed by SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭Shoog

I think we should, it's a shame that Ryanair have so much sway over policy in this regard.

Cheap flights are a disaster and make it virtually impossible for citizens to meet their carbon budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

RTE are running rings around this govt and they fully expect RTE to stump up the shortfall in revenues. Catherine Martin has been utterly useless in tackling the many problems and waste at RTE.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

What are other industries doing? travel and transport is still based on a private car and majority of people unwilling to step outside of that. How many people have swapped the car for public transport even with all the improvements in the last few years? yes lots of work to be done but the number of buses etc have increased, luas etc.

Why is it been allowed that the whole car industry is moving from cars to Crossovers/SUV? are we not supposed to be looking after the environment? like what exactly is good for the environment with a 100kWh nearly 100k Kia 7 seater which was announced a few days ago? which is over 3 tonne weight, is that better than a diesel S-Max for instance? the S-MAX which the majority would ship families around for 15-20 years.

A lot of people are still voting based on building the road, fixing the road.

Air travel has done nothing. Absolutely nothing.

The list goes on, as I said the buzz word is now farming because it's an easy target and people lap it up. Oh kill a load of cattle and everything will be better

You can think away, but you have zero evidence to draw your conclusions from. So you hate SF - we get it.

We have plenty of evidence of SF but everyone is told to ignore it

Even their alternative budget had mistakes in it. If they can't even get a mock budget right how would you expect them to do the real thing?

Apart from show boating and reading a script handed to them, what have SF actually done since the last election?

I doubt the current government will last after the enxt election by the way but people shouting in SF are going to be in for one huge surprise.

• Advertisement

So an opposition part sets policy now, that's a surprise.

Yes they can. Any TD can propose new legislation.

All true, but the days of cheap air travel are numbered.

Same for cheap online purchases without carbon taxes - where people are buying cheap tat from China that they probably use once, if ever.

Let those industries face their own targets and they will be penalised also if they dont meet them.

All farming can do is make changes in its own area and focus there.

Hate SF? I didn't say that. Why would I hate them?

Do I trust them to govern the country? Absolutely not. David Cullinane, Louise O'Reilly and Mairead Farrell in cabinet, alongside Eoin O'Broin...give me strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,897 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We wouldn't have zero evidence. Just look at Padraic MacLochlainn in the Dail the other night telling Jennifer Carroll McNeill that Pearse Doherty would put manners on her. That is pretty low for a TD, and he is supposed to be one of the better SF TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

You could add Martin Browne to that list . In his election literature before the last election he said he was unemployed . At a time of almost full employment sure!y he could have got some job . Now he is telling the government how to run the country.

Your not going to sell the everything's grand narrative to the SF voter when they are paying half their wages in rent and have no propspect of owning a house, many can only afford to live with their parents. You see everything isn't grand for the under 30s, it's a country where owning your own place and having a family seem like impossible dreams.

So maybe FFG have been great for you, but you ain't the people who are looking to SF for a change of priorities.

What will SF do to build more houses or to reduce rents?

The only way SF will "fix" housing, is by causing multinationals to leave the country. This will force many people to leave the country, possibly freeing up some accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I would say they are as bad as they have always been. But this is decades in the making... obviously when you don't address things, they get worse... and worse...

I Half agree with this. It is still very difficult and more difficult than it should be. If you are single.. . Good luck. Neveremployedwasters getting prime location luxury housing. While workers live in kips for a fortune...

Nail on the head.. report after report. Public consultation after public consultation. Legal review after legal review. Conedy country. People have lost their patience after decades of this nonsense

That will be the test of SF, but it's hysterical to claim they will drive big business away.

The issue with the current government is they are both in the pocket of property developer/speculator/landlords and they expect that those same businesses will build them out of the crisis simply by wishing it to happen.

None of this has escaped the public's notice.

SF are going to do what exactly to change it?

You need developers to build houses. The "speculators" are who exactly? Guess what you need landlords

It's all noise from Sinn Fein with zero answers.

Looking at their housing policy it's pure rubbish. Even with landlords the claim is they will drive landlords out to free up houses. What about all the people who want to rent?

More worrying is they want to instruct the Central Bank, that is not the job of the government to make demand to the Central Bank. The last thing Ireland needs is a government telling a regulator what they can/can't do.

Abolish of LPT would be a disaster as well for everyone in Ireland and we would go back to old days of no facilities in the area with county councils stripped of all their money. It is also a tax break for the people who have mansions.

Do people think this is the answer??

https://www.sinnfein.ie/housing-4

and what exactly do you think Sinn Fein are going to do? what they are looking at is giving more houses to the never employed and tax the ass out of anyone who is working to pay for it.

Literally the only thing that might make me believe sf would do anything about the housing crisis, is because the only thing they care about ultimately is irish unification. They might do something on the housing front , for that reason only ..

What does that even mean? Build more houses in Ireland to house people who live north of the border?

The 2 are barely related, housing and unification.

Also FYI, unification would cost us so much money that there would be far less public funds available for investment in property.

Sinn Fein are responsible for housing in the North and it's a disaster. How would unification resolve either side of the border? instead we will just inherit a bigger issue in the North on top of the issues we have in the Republic

I don't see any reference to housing on Sinn Fein pages about unification. Have you seen anything?

Advertisement