Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

Transport in whatever form is a huge drain on resources which is as much of a problem as the fuel been used. The ultimate objective of government planners should be to eliminate the need for every household to own one or two cars/vans just to live a normal life. If removing cars from the equation is your ultimate goal then building an ever greater network of roads is both counterproductive and ultimately very wasteful.

It really all comes down to what your vision of the future looks like. Mine is a home where I can walk to work and meet all my essential needs by foot or bike. I am mostly there already and I can tell you there are no downsides in terms of quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Hold on. Banning all forms of private motorised travel is the plan now?

My vision of the future is a safe and healthy one, where people are allowed go about their business in ways they see best suits them, within the laws of the land. I've lived many years in cities, and regional towns where I could walk to work, shops, pints, etc. And I didn't enjoy my quality of life, even with those conveniences. I much prefer the countryside where I am now, just outside the local village where I can do the essentials by foot/bike but still need the car for other things. And my quality of life is much better now in my eyes. We have to try accommodate all

No one said anything about banning cars, but a sustainable future doesn't involve the majority of people using cars to do the majority of their business as it is now. The government cannot plan for an unsustainable future so they have to shift their focus to making cities/towns a more attractive place to live where public transport forfills the majority of your transport needs.

I lived out in the country for 25years and though I mostly enjoyed it - increasingly it was looking like an isolated and lonely lifestyle. I am happy to have moved back to a town where i can do just about everything on foot. The reality is that houses that offer that convenience are now starting to attract a considerable premium so it seem that I am not alone in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ah now. Houses in towns are always more expensive. That's nothing new. And often more expensive for less house. During the pandemic rural home prices went up way more too as more people moved to work from home. Everyone is different and if it suits you, great.

Yer 100% right on the cars though. If ya live in cities with everything near, a car is usually pointless. Better off just renting one for the times ya'd actually need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

This is why the Irish Green party are losing support, their ideals don't match the reality of how most people live in Ireland.

We're suburban mostly and no one wants to voluntarily give up what space and quality of life they have in the name of efficiencies in current technologies that look likely to be surpassed in the future.

Right now the greens come across as Luddites that would be happy if the countryside was a national park and everyone loved in overcrowded ghettos.

I always find it amusing how old ascendency stock gravitate towards them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

so they're all luddites in countries like spain that have excellent public transport, far less sprawl, and most people living in apartments? way more forests and national park than ireland too.

the car reliant sprawling suburbia life isn't really something we can keep doing forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Spain also has bypasses around it main cities

Such as it’s third largest city of Valencia

https://es-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/By-pass_de_Valencia?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

unlike … Galway whose bypass was sabotaged by Greens

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You're doing this again - it was not sabotaged by the greens. The courts made the decision to stop it based on years of crap planning for it. Had the councils had their ducks in a row properly it would have gone ahead.
    There were a number of people who took action against the plan, including a green member but also including the owners of the racecourse who you fail to point fingers at!

Your "dem greens wreck everything" narative doesn't appear to like facts!

The owner of racecourse could have been accommodated

Yeh greens on other hand fundamentally oppose any growth on stupid ideological ground, and not just roads witness Amazon threatening to pull out because they can’t build datacenters here despite Greens boasting how green our electricity has become

My point stands, pointing at other countries who happen to have great road infrastructure is hypocritical

Spain didn't bloc bypasses. What the greens enforce on the N20 wouldn't have been tolerated by Franco.

Actually Spain is so progressive that they don't try to suppress new development, they embrace new roads and street plans while our greens want everyone to hurry up and die of misery.

• Advertisement

i didn't mention bypasses but you made it out like more national parks and apartment living was some kind of luddite hell that people don't want. it works well elsewhere and is far more sustainable than constant sprawl.

The owner of racecourse could have been accommodated

…and yet they felt the need to take it to court? And the court kiboshed the project

Yeh greens on other hand fundamentally oppose any growth on stupid ideological ground, and not just roads witness Amazon threatening to pull out because they can’t build datacenters here despite Greens boasting how green our electricity has become

So we should worry about what a profit driven multinational wants over what is best overall for our society?

My point stands, pointing at other countries who happen to have great road infrastructure is hypocritical

The greens aren't stopping road building but they do want us to reconsider our habit of building roads without consideration for alternatives. Most road project delays are becasue of the ABP bottleneck.
    So no, your point doesn't stand unless your point was simply to further your "dem greens wreck everything" narative as I have already pointed out!

And that’s why they are being politically wiped out europe wide and Eamon had to step down after driving his party into the ground

The arrogance and condescending attitudes coupled with constant negative messaging and taxes taxes taxes result in angry electorates

If most of our electricity is green why block datacenters? What happens if they build it in any number of countries we share same planet with dirtier electricity production?? That’s putting aside loss of jobs and taxes to spend on green projects

Post edited by zerosquared on

And you cite Fascist era Spain in response.

At least Franco built new cities whereas the greens would have us in wattle and daub hovels commuting on donkey to our jobs as compost agitators on their earth friendly estate houses.

Your kneejerk response is exactly the Luddite green mentality to reduce our quality of life instead of planning for overall improvement, like bypasses.

Anyway, Ryan has bowed out so they'll probably decide the next leader by who can weave the prettiest basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Come the new Traffic Plan for Dublin in August, most of our crew will not be able to do our jobs,

Office based in Dublin, we service offices around the country, but the Greens have campaigned for cars not to drive through the city.

Now my whole department are facing unemployment just because we drive our own cars!!!

What route is it you'll be having trouble with exactly? Only minor changes are being implemented.

Firstly it was Dublin City Council and not the Greens who made this decision.

Secondly, why can you not follow the new route - why does your employment require you to travel along a few hundred metres of the quays?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Suspect someone just wanted an excuse to get rid of your whole department cause none of that is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

A well known disability transport company in Dublin had had to write to a lot of their clients recently telling them they will be unable to transport them in and around the city centre come the introduction of the new traffic plan for the city. Their minibuses haven't been given an exemption to enter the new zones so unfortunately some people are going to be left without viable transport options. Expect to hear about this on the Joe Duffy show within the next few days as it seems to be the only way you can get anything done in Ireland in this day and age.

• Advertisement

...and yet again this has absolutely nothing to do with the green party so not sure why youre throwing it out there. A recent vote on this saw a majority of councillors for various parties vote to keep the plan in place.

Did this disability transport company participate in the public consultation process that was held (and found most respondents were in favour of the plan) and can you point us towards their contribution?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

And why should anyone give up their life in the country to suit the Green Party's dream of having us all in city apartments? sorry, born and bred in the country and I intend to live my life there and eventually be buried there. but why should I need to sacrifice anything for the Green Party's Ideals.,

A ruling that was produced by the courts due to an action taken by the Chair person of the Green Party, supported by several other green organizations, because it was not in line with the Government's plan for transport and the environment which was formulated by the Green Party.

Obviously you did not see my reply to Podge last night

Deny it all you may want, but all traffic plans currently laid out by local councils are influenced and controlled by the Government's transport and environmental policies. Policies introduced by the Green Party, under Eamonn Ryan's tenure as Minister of both departments.

Blame the local councils all you want, but the ultimate blame lies with the Green Party.

And again, read my previous reply to you. The ultimate blame lies with the Green Party as local council decisions are based on policies introduced by the Green Party

No one asked you to give up your life anywhere, but as the population grows we need to design smarter denser urban areas that are easier to serve with public transport. Planning to house everyone in one offs that require two cars per household would be pretty silly.

None of this is true. You're imagining your own version of the truth!

• Advertisement
Advertisement